• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About Ranked and Unranked servers

About Ranked and Unranked servers

• Total voters

Nezzer

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Porto Alegre, RS
When was the last time any of you clicked on the Unranked tab to look for a server? We all know turning your server unranked is commiting servercide, as nobody will join it. Probably not because it's unranked, but because it's on a separate and forgotten tab of the server browser, where nobody bothers to look.

I personally think this segregation is pointless. There's already the server filter and the server icons next to the server name saying it's ranked or unranked, so having a different browser for each is unnecessary.

I've been asking this since the DDE beta. I was never fond of this segreagation, especially when some server options make the server unranked for no reason at all. Why disabling MKB/AVT and disabling spawn on SL makes the server unranked while bot farming doesn't? I have no idea. That's my main reason of bringing this up again. But now I'm adding a poll, with a new proposal.

Since the text is too long for the poll options, I'll post them here. What should be done about the Ranked/Unranked issue?

-Solution 1: We could join both tabs and leave it as a filter. Keeping the same ranked/unranked system. Server options unchanged; the same options would still turn it Unranked

-Solution 2: Or joining both tabs, leaving as a filter and keeping the ranked/unranked system, but tweaking the server options that turn the server unranked (MKB/AVT and spawn on SL would no longer turn it Unranked)

-Solution 3: Or we could get rid of the entire concept of ranked and unranked, making all servers ranked regardless of the server options (bot farming is the biggest exploit of the ranking system and it's still acceptable on ranked servers, right?).

Last edited:
Voted Option 3 because I think RO2 should not be about grinding and unlocks in the first place, but since it is, maybe it could drop the whole concept of unranked. And let people grind and what not, and have fun. Is not as if one needed to actually play the game with humans to progress.

Upvote 0
But if the player count for RO2 is already dangerously low, why should we disable XP and have games where you're only scoring points against killing certain enemies? Don't get me wrong, I do not condone bot farming yet I haven't met anyone really who have admitted to farming bots or anyone for that matter who is obviously doing that.

Why not just make bots 1/5 of the exp they normally are?

Upvote 0
if you never met anyone that admitted to farming bots, you know a lot of liars. ;) i farmed a few hundred when i wanted the dual-mag mp31. it's not like i intentionaly looked for an empty server, but i didn't hold fire when i knew it was a bot in the sights.
i have 37,294 kills right now. so who cares if a few hundred were bots? a drop in the bucket!
leveling and unlocks are the problem. not how a guy goes about doing it.

p.s. voted option 3!

Upvote 0
I don't think the system between ranked and unranked is perfect, but I can not vote for any of the available options.

But you reminded me of a suggestion that I have been tossing around now for almost a year, which I have yet to put to a poll myself.... so I will shortly.....

It's in regards to making UnRanked Servers more interesting for players to join.

Even if you placed the unranked servers with the ranked.... how many people would still bother to join the unranked servers?

They'd probably be just as ignored then as they are now & the only difference would be that we'd have more players come into the forums complaining about having their server browser filled up with servers they have no interest in. Having a filter to show or not show unranked servers isn't much different than clicking or not clicking on the available tab for Unranked Servers.

Something more needs to be done to promote & give reasons for players to play on them and I don't think the above options do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Requirements for unlocking things are extremely high. I say, bot farm all you can. Or let's be done with a system that is so flawed in the first place. Other than that, sure, options 1 or 2...

2500+ kills for every weapon in game, to LVL50. 18 different weapons that can be leveled in game. That's roughly 45000 kills. That literally means most of the people won't ever unlock not even half the stuff.

Without bot farming, and without playing like a madman against humans, giving priority to the weapons you want to level, instead of playing normaly. It will probably take a person until RO3 is out to unlock everything. Most of the things are either lame, anachronistic, poorly modeled, or simply aesthetic+little bonus.

Having a filter to show or not show unranked servers isn't much different than clicking or not clicking on the available tab for Unranked Servers.

Not really, I spent months ignoring the Unraked tab, as if it was not there, I simply forgot about it. What the least that could happen? More people play on Unraked servers. Well if they are popular well configured, why not? Why they have to be doomed to oblivion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think the system between ranked and unranked is perfect, but I can not vote for any of the available options.

But you reminded me of a suggestion that I have been tossing around now for almost a year, which I have yet to put to a poll myself.... so I will shortly.....

It's in regards to making UnRanked Servers more interesting for players to join.

Even if you placed the unranked servers with the ranked.... how many people would still bother to join the unranked servers?

They'd probably be just as ignored then as they are now & the only difference would be that we'd have more players come into the forums complaining about having their server browser filled up with servers they have no interest in. Having a filter to show or not show unranked servers isn't much different than clicking or not clicking on the available tab for Unranked Servers.

Something more needs to be done to promote & give reasons for players to play on them and I don't think the above options do that.
That's why I'd rather get rid of the ranked/unranked division completely. Unranked server would still be the "lesser" servers and few people would play on them. And I bet all of them are unranked for silly reasons like I've pointed in the OP. Better to just make them all ranked and be done with it.

Upvote 0
It comes a point when we have unlocked a lot of things and leveled pretty much all there is to it, at least all we commonly use. So at this point, unranked or ranked doesn't really matter too much. What will matter is the settings, and if there are players in the server
that's how i feel. i bust my butt to get everything i wanted to the level it is now, (well most stuff anyway. i can't be arsed to kill 5k guys to get the c96 or nagant uogrades. not at the expense of being worthless to my team) now that i got what i want, i couldn't care less if everyone had it as well. when the game came out with leveling and unlocks, i thought it was a crap idea. i still do. give everyone access to them or get rid of the ones that don't make sense. (we all know which those are)

Upvote 0
that's how i feel. i bust my butt to get everything i wanted to the level it is now, (well most stuff anyway. i can't be arsed to kill 5k guys to get the c96 or nagant uogrades. not at the expense of being worthless to my team) now that i got what i want, i couldn't care less if everyone had it as well. when the game came out with leveling and unlocks, i thought it was a crap idea. i still do. give everyone access to them or get rid of the ones that don't make sense. (we all know which those are)

We could see All of the crazy unlocks sent to Action Mode (trash can). And the more acceptable ones be kept in Realism ( semi-fantasy land ). Like this, everyone could be given all unlocks. And Classic should have a completely authentic, history sensible, loadout

Upvote 0
We could see All of the crazy unlocks sent to Action Mode (trash can). And the more acceptable ones be kept in Realism ( semi-fantasy land ). Like this, everyone could be given all unlocks. And Classic should have a completely authentic, history sensible, loadout

Or go play ARMA no unlocks problem solved..;)

Upvote 0
The Ranked vs. Unranked distinction has long been rendered meaningless by bot farming. I don't trust anyone's stats or unlocks to be legitimate at this point, and I can't see a strong reason to keep the system. Voted 3.

Or go play ARMA no unlocks problem solved..;)

*pats you on head* You're adorable. Run along, now.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0