• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ability to enter and exit tanks.

NorthDumpling

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
So, as I know someone from TWI told the community, that players were not able to exit the tank , at least because, that people were tend to exit them in RO and hide somewhere, but it doesnt seems a valuable reason for me in RS2, because
1)There are just jungles around and/or town
2)The only one, who can really hide is a VC, not a tank crewman
3)It will really increase chance of survival

Even without paying an attention of increased chances of suvival, there will be no wasting tickets, otherwise if people will not be able to bail out, tanks wont be popular at all.

When I've been playing DH some time ago and my M4A3 Sherman magically survived 3 hits from King Tiger, I decided to exist my tank and save myself, in the result I have killed about 2 men before I got killed, thats the main profit , and opportunity must not kill possibility in order to save tickets and men resources.

So I really expecting to see an ability to exit the tank in RS2 if there will be any of course.

Yes, for that. Even for RO2/RS. The ability to exit and enter a tank (with a animation which takes a few seconds ofc!) would be really great. But this ability shouldn't be granted to every class.. there should be a tank driver class with very limited equipment and just a pistol. And very important: a timer which makes a tank respawn. I hate how you can destroy a tank but there is coming the next one after a few seconds. You might as well ignore it because it doesn't matter that much :mad:

And it might be a thrilling experience when your tank got wrecked but you still managed to get out of it alive and try to get to the base again.

But I doubt they will add tanks, just like you. Not that bad imo

Upvote 0
I personally didn't like this in RO1/DH. It meant tank crew members were running around not in tanks. When a tank was needed. Which lead to a lot of abuse flying around and even resorting to teamkilling so the tank crew member respawns at his tanks.
Are there respawn timers on the tanks in RO1/DH? Which equipment did they used?

Upvote 0
I personally didn't like this in RO1/DH. It meant tank crew members were running around not in tanks.

I personally loved this in RO1. It meant you could jump out of the tank to check the next crest / forest / house / whatever without exposing your whole tank. Having your friend cover you with the tank gun/MG while doing so. I like it when you can use the real world tank tactics in game.

It also gave you the possibility to use your SMG to take out the AT infantry that got too close. Even better would be the ability to shoot your SMG directly from the top of the tank. But when that is not possible, the next best thing is getting out to use your weapons.

Keeping the tank crew inside the tank for the rest of their lives was the biggest error made when designing RO2.

Upvote 0
I personally loved this in RO1. It meant you could jump out of the tank to check the next crest / forest / house / whatever without exposing your whole tank. Having your friend cover you with the tank gun/MG while doing so. I like it when you can use the real world tank tactics in game.

It also gave you the possibility to use your SMG to take out the AT infantry that got too close. Even better would be the ability to shoot your SMG directly from the top of the tank. But when that is not possible, the next best thing is getting out to use your weapons.

Keeping the tank crew inside the tank for the rest of their lives was the biggest error made when designing RO2.

Its called infantry support.

Tanks in RO1/DH work like how halftracks work. In fact in DH they recently changed it slightly. But basically the tank would spawn at the base and the tank crew would slawn next to it. You then lick a tank and drive off with it. When it dies it will respawn back at base. Sitting there. Waiting for a tank crew member to get in again. However usually it's spawn was longer than the tank crew members spawn was. AND tanks had a limited number of respawns on some maps (technically all maps but some were put so high it didn't matter).

But tank crew members running around with their SMGs and pistols while their tank sits about at base doing nothing was really annoying.

Upvote 0
There aren't going to be tanks in RS2, at least not on initial release. However it's likely that if we did end up adding any vehicles, we'd go with the halftrack/RO1 method. It's more fun when you're not trapped in a vehicle.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) of why you couldn't get in and out of vehicles in RO2 was that it was actually more about fluidity and tech woes. Because switching seats was fully animated, TW didn't want getting in and out to be a teleport and instead wanted it to be animated, but there were some major roadblocks in the way, so opted to avoid the immersion breaking teleport and instead kept tankers in their vehicles.

I was actually interested to see that BF1 is going with a hybrid system. Getting into a vehicle is initially animated, then pops into the internal camera view, while getting out is still a 100% teleport. It's not a terrible compromise, but I think really it's the jumping out that's a bit iffy. The biggest issue with being able to jump in and out of a tank instantly is that you're able to pop into existence next to the guy who's just put his gun away to set a charge and he's left with no warning that you were going to appear and no defence against you. It's not an insurmountable problem, but I do recall it being the number one biggest complaint about the system in RO1/DH.

Upvote 0
I think BF1 may have gone with the instant teleport out is due to the way battlefield works. The majority of the time you get in a vehicle in a battlefield game is when no one is shooting at you. Quite often when you want to get out of a video in a battlefield game you're under fire. People would all complain about "getting killed by an animation".

Upvote 0

No, it's called dismounting or something. Standard tactics. Infantry support is quite non-existent in RO.

But tank crew members running around with their SMGs and pistols while their tank sits about at base doing nothing was really annoying.

I see no reason for tank crew to leave the spawn without their tank (I never did that). Of course it is a valid tactic to bail out of the tank if it is heavily damaged. That way you can continue fighting as infantry and maybe wait for a friend to bring in a new tank from the spawn.

Upvote 0
Gameplay wise I'd probably always prefer animations for both getting in and out of vehicles. Getting gunned down during the animation should be part of the gameplay and adds more weight to the decision of entering or exiting a vehicle.

Of course on the technical side of things I'm sure full enter/exit animations bring a myriad of design hurdles to make it feel the least clunky and most fluid as possible.
Personally I'm fine with them just focusing on infantry combat and making sure that's good to go first before exploring the implementation of vehicles, though I'd love to see vehicles eventually(I'd especially love to see pilotable Hueys).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I agree. I had seen way too many crew members insta-teleport outside of their tank to surprise shoot unsuspecting nearby enemy infantry.

If people were running around tanks in DH, its their problem or you have met dumb players, there are nothing close to it in DH right now, moreover we are talking about Vietnam game, not about the game with huge open fields and 8 players on a huge map.

Although there were exceptions, I thought the overall maturity and gameplay of most DH players (compared to RO players) limited the amount of tank crewmen trying to play as both infantry and tanker.

There aren't going to be tanks in RS2, at least not on initial release. However it's likely that if we did end up adding any vehicles, we'd go with the halftrack/RO1 method. It's more fun when you're not trapped in a vehicle.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) of why you couldn't get in and out of vehicles in RO2 was that it was actually more about fluidity and tech woes. Because switching seats was fully animated, TW didn't want getting in and out to be a teleport and instead wanted it to be animated, but there were some major roadblocks in the way, so opted to avoid the immersion breaking teleport and instead kept tankers in their vehicles.

I was actually interested to see that BF1 is going with a hybrid system. Getting into a vehicle is initially animated, then pops into the internal camera view, while getting out is still a 100% teleport. It's not a terrible compromise, but I think really it's the jumping out that's a bit iffy. The biggest issue with being able to jump in and out of a tank instantly is that you're able to pop into existence next to the guy who's just put his gun away to set a charge and he's left with no warning that you were going to appear and no defence against you. It's not an insurmountable problem, but I do recall it being the number one biggest complaint about the system in RO1/DH.

I agree with ~most~ of this.

Upvote 0
Funnily enough, it'd actually be more of a coder bottleneck than animator I think. Getting some basic animations would be fairly simple, but making it so that the player appears to naturally get into position, open the door/hatch/whatever and then climb inside is a lot harder. Especially in things like tanks where there might be other players in the way. So you end up having to handle vehicle movement, angled terrain, being shot while in a transition, etc.

Upvote 0