• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AA12 shotgun needs buffing

Laser on LAR?
Most overpowered thing ever, I would use it non-stop.
Headshot damage just needs nerfing

More overpowered than the laser on the M14? Remember, my suggestion is to take the laser off the M14 and put it on the LAR. That would remove the M14's God-ness, even better than cutting the ammo in half, because players can always stockpile extra weapons anyway (especially on Normal). M14's iron sights should be improved to compensate, and LAR w/ laser would be a headshot beast but without the crazy spam fire rate of the M14. The LAR's slow fire rate would encourage aimed laser headshots as the SS perk is intended to perform, not spam body shots like the M14 currently. With the laser the LAR would actually be useful and still balanced. The cost could go up accordingly.

The AA12 is great as is. If you don't think so, level up your Support perk and/or learn to control the recoil on full auto by dragging down the mouse for FP/scrake killing. Also toss 2 or 3 nades to soften up the target first if it hasn't been damaged already.

For mobs, don't use full auto unless it's an emergency. Single or double shot bursts are much more controllable and efficient.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The AA12 is great as is. If you don't think so, level up your Support perk and/or learn to control the recoil on full auto by dragging down the mouse for FP/scrake killing. Also toss 2 or 3 nades to soften up the target first if it hasn't been damaged already.

If it's so great then why do you need to soften up the target first?

How many FP can you kill with a full load of AA12 ammo?
How many can you kill with a full load of M14 ammo?

The AA12 needs an adjustment. Damage and clip size I think are optional but number of clips needs to be increased immediately.

This is the most expensive weapon in the game by a huge margin and because of the ammo capacity it's nearly useless on suicide.

Upvote 0
I do not believe this adds up.
I've done it before on two-man hard getting about 2/3 of the kills and selling a fire ax and a 9mm.

The AA12 could use a bit more ammo to be a complete tier three weapon but are the tier three weapons even the right thing to have in the game? There are no tier three enemy. The husk and grenade dodging are the only improvements to the specs since the game was released and the game has gotten much easier.

Upvote 0
There are no tier three enemy.

arguably the FP is tier 3, with scrake, husk, siren and gorefast being tier 2 and crawler, clot and stalker being tier 1.

imo there is a tier 3 specimen, it's just barely not powerful enough to be what tier 3 should be.

and patty would be tier 4 but he isn't a regular specimen

Upvote 0
That's because the crossbow is bull**** overpowered, not because the AA12 is underpowered.
I think the issue is far more complex than that. The crossbow does lots of damage but has a poor fire rate and little ammo so it would seem balanced but, with other weapons that have trivialized all but the most extreme enemies in the game, it fills a spot because of a unique gameplay element.

A crossbow bolt does a lot of damage and is multiplied by a modifier for headshots which, with that bonus, can decap or kill many enemies. In the hands of a decent player with a leveled sharpshooter the headshot bonus becomes ungodly.

The headshot bonus and decaps can also make or break a weapon. The AA12 is a perfectly powerful weapon but the spread makes headshots wasteful and underpowered so it cannot compete in dps when factoring headshots.
The 9mm has poor damage but will decap all specs with ease even up to hard difficulty.

Upvote 0
That's including the end of round bonus plus the pounds you start will plus the bounty for all the specs you kill. Perhaps even some from scavenging small weapons if you're lucky. I know I said net you it was rather in the sense that you will be up to that total (which is not net but...) after the first round which might be in line for purchasing an AA12 at level 6 with some luck and/or nice teammates.

P.S. Killing one fourth of 6-man and selling weapons would get you more than 2/3 of 2-man with weapons if there was any discrepancies about that.

Upvote 0
OK Gotcha. I agree if you catch a few lucky breaks on sellable weapons and dominate the kills it's certainly possible to get a top tier gun on Wave 2. It's not a regular thing though.

The AA12 is still nuts overpriced though. It should be 2500 IMHO. If they are going to keep it at 4k then the total ammo capacity should be bumped up.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure its 7.62x54mm. (.30 cal?)

Norway is just now getting on that train. Buying hk416 (5.56x45) for our special forces. I bet half of them will prefer a 40 year old AG3 (G3A5, fires 20 rounds of 7.62x54, same as m14) with collapsible stock and some high tech aiming device. :eek:

edit to be on topic: aa12 and scar is perfect. Nerf the m14 ammo and the xbow damage. Bring back the old FP decap, but only possible with zerker and katana / chainsaw alt-fire.

Nice to hear someone from the Black Metal capital of the world likes such a great game.

And i knew it was 7.62xXXmm. Just wasn't sure which.

I like the Xbow the way it is, not enough people on my diff. use it. But yes, my all mean buff chainsaw fot the love of Dimmu Borgir.:D

Upvote 0
Nice to hear someone from the Black Metal capital of the world likes such a great game.

And i knew it was 7.62xXXmm. Just wasn't sure which.

I like the Xbow the way it is, not enough people on my diff. use it. But yes, my all mean buff chainsaw fot the love of Dimmu Borgir.:D

black metal is such a joke lol. but if thats your sort of thing - theres way better stuff going on than just dimmu borgir, which to me is like the starbucks of black metal.

heres the good stuff:

YouTube - Havohej-Weeping In Heaven

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't read all the post, someone may have covered this but mainly 1 man armies is not what the game is supposed to be about.

The aa12 is not a single monster gun but a crowd control, it can mow down 20 clots, crawlers, etc with ease. Shotguns also do well against sirens and husks. Husks are terrible with their fire damage on suicide.
Don't know what you mean m14s are overpowered. If monsters are not hit in the head and die they get stunned by a m14 even at close range. M14 still takes a lot of hits to a fp's or scrake's head before it dies even with a lvl 6 sharpshooter.
The problem with the aa12 is ammo management, have to think through how to use it because you can be out of ammo in a instant. Not to mention the long reload time.
Bullpups and hand cannons can solve that. Hand cannon is a great close up weapon because it does stun the target if it does not kill it. Even a bullpup.

If anything is unbalanced its massive pipe bombs when fighting the patriarch and other monsters, looks like a giant mine field, or 10 to 15 of them in one spot. Pipe bombs make great fall back weapons or for welded doors but other than that its ridiculous.

Upvote 0