• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Winter War mod

Trendkill

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006
Dorset, UK
Is there a team working on a mod that covers the Russo-Finnish wars of 1939-40 and 1941-44? Because personally I think this would be a great addition to the current group of RO mods, especially if the full force of 50 player servers could be implemented.

On a side note does anyone know where I can get the film The Winter War in the UK?

Last edited:
the winter war is one of my absolute favourite all time sections of history i wanted to make a winter war mod when i 1st came to RO coz its almost forgotten by many, however i'm too busy with other projects to throw my weight behind it really, although maybe for some next gen game ill start something up.

Upvote 0
Oh right, no such luck on play.com or amazon...

And I really do hope a mod team realises how intense a Winter War mod could be and picks the idea up...
Well, actually, I heard that a few from the Finland at War mod (Half-Life 2 mod) wanted to resurrect it to RO but the majority of the team didn't.

Sounds very stupid to me, but hey being stupid is your own choice. :D

Upvote 0
Ja Ja! Because i am from Finland i glad to see that some people really digs (likes) our history. Maybe after Winter War there will be continution war mod. If you or someone make mod aboutt finnish wars, it will be first good mod in history and first game about Finnish Wars expect the Finnwars mod (BF1942).

And about the movie, yes it is good but have you seen unknown soldier wich is finnish classic. B/W (Black and White) version is better but the colored one is good too.

You can find clips about Winter War movie i think in Youtube. Atleast sometime ago you could.

Upvote 0
If you or someone make mod aboutt finnish wars, it will be first good mod in history and first game about Finnish Wars expect the Finnwars mod (BF1942).

actually, the Finnish Defence Forces mod for OFP was pretty kick-***, and they're now working on something for ArmA. I'll admit though I would like to see a Finnish mod for RO, quite a bit of combat could be covered during three periods of war. (Winter, Continuation, and Lapland.)

Upvote 0
Yes, this would be very interesting mod indeed. The maps should be carefully designed though. After all, many of the battles consisted of Finns sitting in the trench shooting Soviets who were making insane charges across open fields armed mostly with bolt action rifles and some DPs. Well, Soviets had tanks and lots of arty which Finns didn't have and also ammo on the Finnish side could be reduced to 50% so that players would be forced to make every shot count, but still it might not be much fun to play like that on the Soviet side. Maybe Motti-battles and some long range patrol skirmished with NKVD and other Soviet security forces would suit better for multiplayer action. Another problematic thing with a mod exclusively of Winter War is that Finns didn't have practically any armor, so making realistic combined arms maps (which I like the best) is impossible. Therefore it would need a couple of maps from Continuation war (such as Mannikkala) which would have Finnish StuGs and maybe captured T-34 and KV-1 also.

Upvote 0
Winter war would be quite bad idea tbh.

First there comes possibly arty and\or air strikes. Then you can see from the distance the human wave of soviet soldiers and tanks combined. And when they get in range you just keep firing those poor bastards 'til they retreat or get too close. And only AT weapons would be pile of wood you use to immobilize the tank and then throw molotov in.

(bit overgeneralized, but it is pretty much true if we speak by the sake of realism - which 3\4 of you people always want)

Continunation war would play much more beter.

Therefore it would need a couple of maps from Continuation war (such as Mannikkala) which would have Finnish StuGs and maybe captured T-34 and KV-1 also.

StuG would be the best choice for sake of realism. Sure they did have captured tanks, but which you would use more - captured tanks which have been hard to acquire and might have bad overall quality (considering the tank might have been KOd first, then repaired again) or fresh and new supplied tanks? ;)

Captured tanks really would not hurt at all, but generally most of the people already keep complaining about the current Mannikkalla that finns having german weaponry - even though it is historically correct in it's own ways. But "for the sake of realism" they want the soviet weaponry back. That is also historically correct.

So we are dealing with two sides: the other one who gives nice ideas and approves them because they had something like that, while the other part disagrees and causes huge riot by the fact that "zomg historical accuracy is ruinzored!"

Good example would be those ideas about having 'realistic' stamina system. You can't implement one without taking too much crap into account ;)

Upvote 0
On a side note does anyone know where I can get the film The Winter War in the UK?

I've noticed several times people on forums are trying to find these classics, but availability outside Finland is poor. You can find something on Amazon.com but prices are absolutely unreasonable. This one should work anyway. It's a Finnish webstore, but they should deliver to foreign countries too. Not sure about the shipping prices though..

www.filmifriikki.fi

Choose English language

Then search for titles "Talvisota" (Winter War) or "Tuntematon sotilas" (The Unknown Soldier)

They are sold seperately but also in twinpack and pack including all of them. I recommend the one with all those three if money is not the problem: Winter War, The Unknown Soldier (1955 & 1985) :D 9 hours of classics.

EDIT. Shipping prices (www.filmifriikki.fi). System might show too high price in case of dvd-boxes, but after all they will only charge the right price.

Shipping and handling (within EU):

1-2 discs 4 €
3-4 discs 8 €
5 or more 20 €

Double discs, boxed sets and special boxes might add the shipping to 20 € even though there isn’t 5 DVDs.

Shipping and handling (outside of EU):

1-2 discs 8 €
3-4 discs 16 €
5 or more 25 €

Double discs, boxed sets and special boxes might add the shipping to 25 € even though there isn’t 5 DVDs.

The shipments outside of Finland are mainly sent First Class.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi folks, nice to see that people are now even speaking about creating Winter War-mod. I'm from Finland too and it would be awesome to have something unique like this.

I hope there are also more people from different nations who are ready to help to create this mod.

I'm new in here so I just wanted to say my opinion concerning this subject and to say hello to everyone.:)

Thanks
$piTfirE<*F!N*>

Upvote 0