• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A theory on the ranking system

Cyper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
Sweden
A lot of people have recently discussed the ranking system in RO2. Should it be removed? Should it be an optional server setting? Many people already know that I am not very fond of the ranking system because I don't think it fit into RO2.

Before anyone starts yelling ''You're a Classic player, play Classic'' I first off want to that this post isn't directed to Classic players. Or Realism players. Or Action Players. It's directed at the community as a whole. And hopefully it is a food for thoughts to TWI - and if any Dev is reading this, it may at least be worth to consider it. Secondly, I am not a Classic player. In order to be a Classic player I think it would be resonable to say that you at least play Classic Mode. I neither play it or like Classic for various reasons. Ironically one of them is due to the small player base. Before anyone continue to read I may remind that I am not directly speaking to RO2 itself, or the next RO; many of these questions are directed at the franchise and it's future.

Here is a brief overview of my thoughts.

1. The Progression System is not Equal

There is no doubt that the progression system is unfair: it gives certain players advantage over others such as faster reloading time, better weapons, equipment, and so forth. In my opinion, any progression system that gives a player unfair advantage over others does not fit into a tactical/semi-realistic shooter. One of the great things in RO1 was that every player was equal; every mistake you did that resultet in some sort of failure for you was due to the fact that your opponent was a better player than you at that very moment, not because they had a bayonete and you did't, or because they had a weapon, or a perks, that you didn't have, which at every extent may and will more or less effect the outcome.

2) Those who Play Less will Automatically be worse off

From the point above one may argue that everyone have the same chance to gain these advantages. First off, this is irrelevant, because these advantages are still artificial skills and not real skills. Secondly, it's not true anyway. Those who play less - no matter their reason for doing so - will automatically be worse off. This means that someone who work or study all day and does not play as much as others will be worse off. Which is, ironically, the key point of any progression system: to make people play more. The more you play the more you win. Those who do not play enough will suffer. How you play is irrelevant; the only thing that matters is that you play

3) The System Does Not Help New Players - it hinders them3)

I may be wrong, but it at least seems to be plausible to say that the progression system was implemented in order to increase accessibility and to give people a reason to play - and to force other to play more.

Ironically, this seems to be very contradictionary. I strongly doubt people decision on whenever they should buy the game or not is depndent on the progression system. Those who're looking for RO2 either A) Falsly believe it is another generic FPS game B) Believe it is unique compared to other games. Moral of the story is: those who were looking for something unique stay, those who thought RO was another FPS game will be dissapointed because its self-evident that RO is very specific experience.

Another point here is that the progression system does not make the game more ''accessible'' for new players. It makes it harder. They will not only have to master a very difficult game but they will have to put a lot of time into getting equal to others, e.i. reaching the higest level. This is ironical, because at the same time new players have to struggle with both learning the game AND unlocking things, experienced player knows exactly how the game works (map flow, stratagic points, how to move, how to shoot etc.) while at the same time they have better equipment, weapons, and perks than new players.

4) The system causes complications in clan matches

Yet again, the same issues as in (3) and (2) arise in clan-based matches.

5) The system offers rare guns until everyone has them

One of the thoughts regarding many of the unlocked weapons in RO2 was that they would be rare. The 'rare' weapons are limited in matches, but to call them 'rare' is simply not true: these weapons are rare until everyone has them. These weapons also conflict with the historical accuracy.

6) The system Limits the Freedom of Choice

One of the great things with games like RO1 and ARMA is that you more or less have complete freedom. You pick and play. This is not the case in RO2. You have to unlock even the most basic equipment - even the bayonet which is standard equipment. This limits the freedom for easy 'pick and play'. It could of course be justified to limit the freedom of choosing a role such as squad leader, but more then that, Its really up to debate. If we go back to point (2) and (3) it just becomes even more obvious how much the system limit the freedom of choice.

7) The system causes harm to custom servers

Since everyone must earn their unlocks and perks servers which does certain changes in the game must become unranked to avoid cheating. Yet the game is open to bot farming. So now we have unranked and ranked servers. Unfortunately, unranked servers suffers directly: because who is going to play them? Even the slightest changes makes them unranked and since the progression system is there people want it. This also hinders modders for a nice try to fill their servers since majority of people wont be looking for unranked servers in the first place.

8) The ranking system causes harm to all servers and modes that doesn't use it.

If Classic Mode had the progression system more people would play it. As a matter of fact, if Classic was called Realism Mode, even more people would play it. If Custom servers was ranked more people would play them. The whole 'ranked' 'unranked' 'Action' 'Realism' 'Classic' just split the community even more.

9) The ranking system is Limited to ROs own formula and the time period it represents

One of the issues with the ranking system is that it will never go beyond a certain level of complexity. The system will always be stuck with rewarding players with extremely basic rewards.

If one would compare RO2's ranking system with, let's say CODs ranking system, or Fallouts, or indeed any other shooters ranking system, it becomes obvious that RO2s ranking system is extremely limited and outright watered down. It offers a few artificial skills, such as less recoil, faster reloading, and it offers a few attachments such as bayonet.

The fact is however that any game who has a ranking system is under constant competition: you can't release the same unlocks all the time no matter what kind of game we're talking about. It has to evolve, and it naturally do so by competition.

The problem is that RO2 system is limited to two major points: the WW2 era and the formula itself.

To evaluate this: RO2 is limited to the WW2 era. Because that's the fundamental idea about the game. This means that unlocks will be limited to the sort of equipment that was available during WW2. That begs the question:

How is the unlocks supposed to evolve? As it is now, the current 'Heroes' would have to unlock the bayonet once again in any potential and upcoming RO game. Or.. will there be new unlocks?

One could argue that we could implement WW2 equipment far more distant from historical accuracy than the MkB. Because that seems like the only plausible solution. Another solution, far less plausible, would be to let players unlock every role starting from Rifleman as the only available one. This would only limit peoples freedom even more. This idea is at least in my opinion very, very bad. Yet this doesn't answer the upcoming question:

What about the next RO game?

To those who argue for this system:

How is it supposed to evolve?

Is RO2 limited to WW2?

What may be the outcome for such changes?

10) The system is Likeable because its there

To be honest, I don't believe that people play RO2 because of the progression system. I don't believe it matters much at all. People looking for RO do it because the game offers something unique. If TWI never would have implemented unlocks, then mark my words: nobody would have asked for it. If someone did the idea would be turned down. There must be a miniscule amount of players that actually care about the progression system. With care, I mean that they care about whenever the system itself exist, because as it is now, people probably care of the sake of caring: there is no idea to play without progression when it already exist in the base game!

If the ranking system isnt present in RO3 I doubt majority of players would care.

Those who decides to buy the game is likely to do it because the game is unique. Their decision to buy or not is not dependent on the ranking system - it's dependent on the game itself. The amount of players who play the game only for the ranking system must be miniscule and it is therefore far from a great loss if these people leave the community. If RO moves more into the tactical shooter genre, and steer away from the middleground it is in now, then I believe there is a far bigger niche community waiting there.

The tactical niche community is far bigger than people tend think. My experience from BIS board, this boad, and user reviews, is mixed response to RO2. Many complaints is about the directions the series have headed.

So,

We've seen in other games that the competition is fierce; an identity crisis of what the game should be is barely a safe way to make the community bigger. Neither is it safe to try to 'cater to everyone', and gaming companies who have tried that, have a) made casual players dissapointed, or b) made their fans dissapointed, or c), made both casual and fans dissapointed. This middleground does not exist in the bigger sense. Codemasters Operation Flashpoint series is a great example of a franchise that dug its own grave with this mentality. No gaming company have managed to do this. Either way one should go 'full out' for accessibility, or forgot the fact that it even was mentioned.

Still, It's not all about accessibility. Its about the game itself. How else could games like arma have survived for so long - and still growing bigger and bigger? With thousands of user made content.

The progression system cannot exist in the future - at least not if you ask me, and at least not if you want the RO franchise to release more than one more title in the future. Its probably not a good decision to remove it from RO2, though - or is it? I don't know.

Feel free to continue the discussion - or not.

Last edited:
If RO moves more into the tactical shooter genre, and steer away from the middleground it is in now, then I believe there is a far bigger niche community waiting there.

My thoughts exactly and the direction I hope TWI will take.

Nice post, I agree with all of it. The progression system is one of the reasons I choose Classic over Realism, not the only reason, but one of them.

Upvote 0
+1
i think the PC gamers are getting sick and tired of this brain dead fps games like...
-every year a new/the same CoD
-BF3 = (bf/CoD hybrid) the BF veterans are :mad: [url]http://www.mordorhq.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Battlefield-3[/URL]
-Medal of Honor WF-another generic run n gun fps

the graphics are getting better and better...but the gameplay is getting more and more retarded and simplified:mad:...wtf

just look at tha ARMA Day Z mod,is hard as ****,but the player loved it and the ARMA sales are booming.

so please TW no unlock system in future RO games:) ...but...hmmm...what will we see i RO2-Rising Storm???!!!

Upvote 0
All of these points are irrelevant. Why shouldn't a player be rewarded for playing more? Why shouldn't a high ranking player be given better weapons? The reload, ammo and firing bonuses give something to go for when ranking up. This game rewards skill, it does not reward bad players. It is a brutal game that makes you learn quickly. If you can hack it then play black ops 2.

The concept of everything being equal is absurd. Whats the point of ranking up? Where's the incentive? You put alot of effort into a class, you should be able to get something back; better reload times, more ammo, better weapons. The current system is flawed but it adds something to entice and keep players in the loop. Coming from BF2 where the ranking system was even slower and harder than this I quite enjoy a system that isn't a rank a minute.

I don't play for the progression system, but I enjoy the game more that it's in there.

Upvote 0
All of these points are irrelevant. Why shouldn't a player be rewarded for playing more? Why shouldn't a high ranking player be given better weapons? The reload, ammo and firing bonuses give something to go for when ranking up. This game rewards skill, it does not reward bad players. It is a brutal game that makes you learn quickly. If you can hack it then play black ops 2.

The concept of everything being equal is absurd. Whats the point of ranking up? Where's the incentive? You put alot of effort into a class, you should be able to get something back; better reload times, more ammo, better weapons. The current system is flawed but it adds something to entice and keep players in the loop. Coming from BF2 where the ranking system was even slower and harder than this I quite enjoy a system that isn't a rank a minute.

I don't play for the progression system, but I enjoy the game more that it's in there.

No offense really, but how old are you? I have a sneaking suspicion it's mainly the younger gamers that like an award system.

Upvote 0
I didnt mind the progress system at all.

I mean take the MG34.

If there was the choise between drum, double drum and linked belt. Everyone and their grandmother would use the belt I guess. But as of now, you have to actually use the weapon to get this. Also take the C96, if it was not for the progress system.: You'd have the full auto pistol everywhere, but as of now. Theres only the rare one because its -really- hard to actually rack up enough kills to actually unlock this baby.. If only one would make it so that bots didnt count to the pr-----------

The only problem we have atm with the weapon progress system is that bots counts to the progress. People go on empty servers and just rank up 300 kills a round and unlock fast.

Upvote 0

Irrelevant to what, exactly?

Irrelevant in the sense that I believe that both the game and its players can be better of if they are fulfilled? Irrelevant for you? For me? For others? For what specific audience? For TWI?

If you read my text, you will find answers to the questions you just asked. Most interesting, there was no response for you regarding point 9.

Then I don't care what you prefer. I would be better of if you kept playing BF2 instead.

You'll have to evaluate.

If you want any discussion then you better go through all of my arguments starting from 1, and come up with solid and concise contra-arguments against them.

Take your time.

Upvote 0
I didnt mind the progress system at all.

I mean take the MG34.

If there was the choise between drum, double drum and linked belt. Everyone and their grandmother would use the belt I guess. But as of now, you have to actually use the weapon to get this. Also take the C96, if it was not for the progress system.: You'd have the full auto pistol everywhere, but as of now. Theres only the rare one because its -really- hard to actually rack up enough kills to actually unlock this baby.. If only one would make it so that bots didnt count to the pr-----------

The only problem we have atm with the weapon progress system is that bots counts to the progress. People go on empty servers and just rank up 300 kills a round and unlock fast.
hmmm...how about this,let us choise what we want but give the player some panalty/disadvantages.
MG34:
-50 rounds drum= as it is in classic
-Double drum(if i remember correctly is this thing pretty rare)so...throw it away.
-ammo belt= no grenades,only a 100 rounds belt+speer ammo,slightly lower movement speed,slightly longer reload and deploy time...

same for the automatic C96 to rare in RL to be in a "real" red orchestra game

Upvote 0
If you play a game, you gain skills and knowledges about the game, maps, weapons, etc. In my opinion this is enough, I don't see the point of winning extra things, this is not a good reward for me. This makes the game even more unbalanced.

I think winning a fair game, against people that have as much sway, ammo, stamina (etc) as you is far more rewarding than winning extra ammo/less recoil (etc) per kills. Fighting for the victory or fighting for that 10 more ammo? That's (NOT) the question!

Maybe this is only me, or just a little crowd?
Anyway, the ranking system is not the only thing that makes the game unfair for me. (And that's why Classic isn't so great D: )

Upvote 0
Irrelevant to what, exactly?

Irrelevant in the sense that I believe that both the game and its players can be better of if they are fulfilled? Irrelevant for you? For me? For others? For what specific audience? For TWI?

If you read my text, you will find answers to the questions you just asked. Most interesting, there was no response for you regarding point 9.

Then I don't care what you prefer. I would be better of if you kept playing BF2 instead.

You'll have to evaluate.

If you want any discussion then you better go through all of my arguments starting from 1, and come up with solid and concise contra-arguments against them.

Take your time.

This game has already been released and played for over a year, do you think they will completely overhaul the entire system because 2% of players feel it's unbalanced? The old formula of people complaining about balance has been around since people were bad at video games.

The ranking system being limited to the period is clear cut. It's limited to the period. TWI is not an enormous developer. They cannot create a game that encompasses all known periods, conflict zones and weapons in a time limited development format. They work with what they could do. Ranking systems are simply part of the industry now, the majoirty of players will demand some form of it, despite what the small percentage say. There is no perfect ranking system, you will lose alot of possible consumers by not having a ranking system. Eventually you reach the limits of the ranking system, then the limits of how enjoyable the game is. Modding is luckily a big part of this community and encouraged by developers. You cannot always expect perfection.

You try and make out like reading your posts is a privilege to all mankind, this is a disgusting attitude.

Upvote 0

How about playing a game for fun? Isn't that the whole point of a game? And that would be the incentive, for FUN. Why do so many people play counter strike or natural selection? They don't need to pour in many hours to rank up, rely on upgrades and finally be on an equal playing field with people who have played the game more. Instead, another incentive would to just get better at the game. Ultimately, if you want to improve your game, you shouldn't spend a lot of effort on something like q new gun, but instead at improving your SKILLS.

Upvote 0
This game has already been released and played for over a year, do you think they will completely overhaul the entire system because 2% of players feel it's unbalanced? The old formula of people complaining about balance has been around since people were bad at video games.

The ranking system being limited to the period is clear cut. It's limited to the period. TWI is not an enormous developer. They cannot create a game that encompasses all known periods, conflict zones and weapons in a time limited development format. They work with what they could do. Ranking systems are simply part of the industry now, the majoirty of players will demand some form of it, despite what the small percentage say. There is no perfect ranking system, you will lose alot of possible consumers by not having a ranking system. Eventually you reach the limits of the ranking system, then the limits of how enjoyable the game is. Modding is luckily a big part of this community and encouraged by developers. You cannot always expect perfection.

You try and make out like reading your posts is a privilege to all mankind, this is a disgusting attitude.
are you serious?!
just like mr. Proud God asked,how old are you?...

Upvote 0
A lot of people have recently discussed the ranking system in RO2. Should it be removed? Should it be an optional server setting?

4) The system causes complications in clan matches

Yet again, the same issues as in (3) and (2) arise in clan-based matches.

Yes...it's maybe to biggest reason to delete the system ranking.

exemple :

we lose because we had only 2 heroes, and you you have 10 in your team of 12 players...

We will surely meet this problem if we don't delete this ranking system.
I'am agree with you Cyper. But i don't know if rnaking system will be remove. Make ranking system an optional server setting is a good way to solve this problem. You ask good question and you give good answer, Cypher.

Before anyone starts yelling ''You're a Classic player, play Classic'' I first off want to that this post isn't directed to Classic players. Or Realism players. Or Action Players. It's directed at the community as a whole.
Cypher has right way to be a RO 2 player. Right thinking, Cypher. No walls in RO 2 ! No sentence look like :

''You're a Classic player, play Classic''
''You're a Realism player, play Realism''
''You're a Action player, play Action''

In Classic there is realism and action...
In Realism there is classic and action...
In Action there is realism and classic... (don't say me i am Action gamer : so : ''You're a Action player, play Action'' . No, it's not right. I am realism player, but also RO 2 gamer.)

Guy who say to another guy '
'You're a Classic player, play Classic''
( or ''You're a Realism player, play Realism"
''You're a Action player, play Action'' )
forget we are ALL RO 2 gamers. No walls in RO 2 !

9) The ranking system is Limited to ROs own formula and the time period it represents

One of the issues with the ranking system is that it will never go beyond a certain level of complexity. The system will always be stuck with rewarding players with extremely basic rewards.

If one would compare RO2's ranking system with, let's say CODs ranking system, or Fallouts, or indeed any other shooters ranking system, it becomes obvious that RO2s ranking system is extremely limited and outright watered down. It offers a few artificial skills, such as less recoil, faster reloading, and it offers a few attachments such as bayonet.

The fact is however that any game who has a ranking system is under constant competition: you can't release the same unlocks all the time no matter what kind of game we're talking about. It has to evolve, and it naturally do so by competition.

The problem is that RO2 system is limited to two major points: the WW2 era and the formula itself.

To evaluate this: RO2 is limited to the WW2 era. Because that's the fundamental idea about the game. This means that unlocks will be limited to the sort of equipment that was available during WW2. That begs the question:

How is the unlocks supposed to evolve? As it is now, the current 'Heroes' would have to unlock the bayonet once again in any potential and upcoming RO game. Or.. will there be new unlocks?

One could argue that we could implement WW2 equipment far more distant from historical accuracy than the MkB. Because that seems like the only plausible solution. Another solution, far less plausible, would be to let players unlock every role starting from Rifleman as the only available one. This would only limit peoples freedom even more. This idea is at least in my opinion very, very bad. Yet this doesn't answer the upcoming question:

What about the next RO game?

To those who argue for this system:

How is it supposed to evolve?

Is RO2 limited to WW2?

What may be the outcome for such changes?

Ranking system is not origine of all the RO 2 problem. (And certainly not about a problem of weapon.) With question 9 you switch to weapon question. It is not because that changes Period of war (or even changes war) that you will avoid the same problem that you meet already in RO 2. All the job will need to be done again...and need to be start again. Here i am not agree : question 9 (problem of weapon) has no link to ranking system. I am not for ranking system. but here this problem (if weapon are problem, for me it's not) it's not its fault.

Yes, with ranking system, RO 2 system is a sub-system...So better idea it's to delete it. When system reach 100%, system show its own useless !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep completely agree with everything said. ATM the optimal server to combat SOME of the issues would be ....

Realism w/

Classic weapon handling
Classic weapon loadout
Weapon progression bonus disabled

Then all we need is for TWI to give server admins the ability to adjust weapon unlocks and class loadouts. Good luck waiting on that though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TWI is indeed a small company. Contradictionary to what you say, I believe that TWI and indeed RO will be worse of in the future if the ranking system is kept. I do not believe at all that it is a small amount of people who would like to see it removed: making RO2 more complex and less generic in generall is going to make it cater to more people within the tactical shooter genre. Because that's really what RO already is: a niche tactical shooter. It's not battlefield. It's not CoD. It's a tactical shooter, and that alone is a reason to remove unlocks since the game should be based on actual skill. You can't simply have the same approach to a game like RO like you have with games like BF, COD, or MOH, because it is fundamentally a different game.

At the moment, RO is trying to stay in the middleground of 'niche' and 'mainstream' and this have been shown not to be a very wise decision. Codemasters did a similar thing, but far more extreme, which in the end made their game aiming at an audience that did not exist. They dumbed down the game, added a progression system, and the only thing it did was harm. While games like ARMA is doing its own thing and doesn't not try to cater to people like yourself, with wishes of arcade and simplified gameplay, and the game have been alive and kicking since 2001 and it is growing all the time with a very didicated and united community. If some sort of progression system was added to arma aswell as other generic features the games playerbase would suffer.

The whole mentality to do RO2 more like ''other shooters'' with the argument that these ''other shooters have this and that, therefore RO must have it'' does simply not make sense, and it is certainly not going to help the franchise. It's more likely that it will make the franchise as successfull as Action Mode. I don't know for how long you've been playing RO2 but I do hope you are aware that the whole ''more like other shooters'' philosophy have done great harm to the community already. Not just on this board, but within the game itself. It have made the game offputting for many potential customers within in the genre ro is in.

You talk about ''the majority of players''. To begin with, the majority of players doesn't play RO2 and they never will, no matter how good the ranking system is. The only way to make RO2 appeal to casual gamers is is to make it 100 times more easier and simplified. With this logic, we may aswell make RO more like CoD, because that's what 90% of all gamers prefer. And that is not going to happen. The ranking system is doomed to be removed in the future and I believe TWI willl realize this, and if they don't, well then future sales of RO will suffer.

Players who demands RO2 to be more dumbed-down should not play RO - there are plenty of other games for these people. Just because the majority like progression systems, and other overused generic features, isn't an argument for having it in RO2. Its rather an argument for preserving the RO formula.. instead of letting the mainstream get a grip on it. The system is going to get removed, and when it does get removed the people who endorse it will dissapear aswell. But that does not matter since these people probably weren't supposed to play RO in the first place.

ARMA series have sold over 5,000,000 units - and this is not due to accessibility - or because their games have been polished - or because they copy and paste from other generic shooters - its due to the fact that the first arma game (Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis) was a winning formula. BIS then stayed true to this formula and the success could continue. RO should do the same instead of comprimising its essence in order to appeal to casual players who buy tactical shooters and then make stupid demands. They are better off to pick another game!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything but this - i just hate to see the MG 42 stuck with the 50 rounds drum, it's as stupid as seeing the MKB with optics as well...:mad:

About the other 2 - this would be great and also - Class progression bonus disabled.

Good point .. default MG loadout is a limitation. Another reason for TWI to allow server admins to adjust the loadouts and what is available to the players :)

Upvote 0