• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Suggestion for the Helpful

If you're feeling in a good and helpful mood while playing RO, change your tags to "[ROHelp]YourNameHere", "[HelpYou]YourNameHere", or something like that so newbies will know there's someone on there who can answer some questions.

Also, when you hop on a server, it's good to ask the crowd if anyone has any questions. I just did that on a server playing Arad and got a bunch of questions regarding arty coordinates, ammo switching, etc.

I think the reason newbies continue doing "silly things" (read: stuff that gets them and you killed) is that they might be afraid of getting some kind of flak for asking "stupid questions". There's no such thing as a stupid question when you're brand new at something, so showing you're willing to help can in turn help them get used to how things work.

Break the ice and help them have a good time.

Too many things already in name so not me. In finnish servers people are not afraid to make stupid questions like "How do I aim", so no need for that. Never used the VOIP so much, as today when helping people to get into this game. Only problem that I have changed some of the buttons, and can't really member the originals = can't help with some buttons. Like aiming, who the fuk aims with middlemouse. We have mouse2 for that. I mean, the two most important keys after wasd, are mouse1 and mouse2 and you do not waste them into some "put bayonet" or "sneeze" button. Shift always makes a good melee button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
It's going to be a real mess if I would wear all the tags I should wear.
My username would like like this if I would:
[ROhelp][SoE]_Rrralpster(TT)
Looks just a little bit too 7331 to my taste. ;)

I've got you beat...[RO-Help][13G/42]Mormegil[TT]. If only I were in a clan too, instead of just IC, I could throw one more tag in!

Anyways, I just wanted to mention that there seems to be a lot of common issues with the new folks.

They often can't open doors, get in tanks, use radio, etc - all the Use key (Z?). I don't think a lot of them know about the Alt-Fire (didn't play UT like most vets) - so they don't know melee, cook nades, or co-ax MG. Lots don't seem to know how to prone, either.

So make sure when you're playing that you volunteer useful info. I was firing off helpful hints (between firing AP rounds) on Arad yesterday. They didn't know about hull-down, angling and all sorts of things. By the end of the round, many of them learned (the hard way sometimes).

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
If you're feeling in a good and helpful mood while playing RO, change your tags to "[ROHelp]YourNameHere", "[HelpYou]YourNameHere", or something like that so newbies will know there's someone on there who can answer some questions.

Also, when you hop on a server, it's good to ask the crowd if anyone has any questions. I just did that on a server playing Arad and got a bunch of questions regarding arty coordinates, ammo switching, etc.

I think the reason newbies continue doing "silly things" (read: stuff that gets them and you killed) is that they might be afraid of getting some kind of flak for asking "stupid questions". There's no such thing as a stupid question when you're brand new at something, so showing you're willing to help can in turn help them get used to how things work.

Break the ice and help them have a good time.
nOObs have to be executed directly!
Uuuh I meant, campers have to be executed directly. Deserters (people who liked to sit and wait in cowardice) were shot by/in the Sovjet army so far as I know.

Just dont let them noobs be camping!

Upvote 0
I don't know if wearing the "Help" tag is neccessary. Just be a decent respectful human being willing to help someone new at something....tag or no tag. You can tell the new guys who are trying to learn, and those that are not. Helping the ones that are showing interest can only make RO and the entire community a better, more "target rich" enviroment. The sooner the immature players that scream "noob" figure this out and actually take a second to help someone, the better off we'll all be....but then again, that takes effort and understanding, qualities that not all of us share.

Paul Giester

Upvote 0