• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A solution to the "Fear of Death" issue

Yea, I've had the same idea. For every mınute or 2 you spend your tıme alıve (not ın spawn) you get a poınt. It would encourage defenders to camp more whıch ıs good news. Nothıng as ırrıtatıng as havıng your team attack the attacker.

This goes against the line TWI is following if you watch the vids.

Reactions: EvilAmericanMan
Upvote 0
3 mins, not even enough time to boil up der Wasserkotcher.:D.

Never Ending Games.
Anyhow, its all about %s

EDIT : My personal goal is not to be killed and I admit to constantly reviewing the reinforcements status.
That for myself is enough to add the determination required to overcome the 'Fear Factor'.

Anything else is +

Last edited:
Upvote 0
now i don't know about TWi's proposed heroes XP ranking up points system, but how about this-

the 'points' you aquire while playing increase exponentially the longer you are alive.
So for example, you would gain almost nothing for ten lives @1 min each, but a fair amount for 2 lives @ five mins each.
But 4 times as more than that say for 1 single life of 10mins.
Then you can keep reasonable respawn time so ppl don't get frustrated, but add a real incentive for survival.

However, you would of course have to be doing something to earn points while you're alive - but whatever points you get are multiplied by this factor determined by your time since spawning,

basically time alive in active combat zones acting as a multiplier to heroic actions (capping/defending/killing etc) but instead of points linking it to hero progression?

Upvote 0
basically time alive in active combat zones acting as a multiplier to heroic actions (capping/defending/killing etc) but instead of points linking it to hero progression?
That can work just as well. I just think that in order to encourage people to sometimes be more cautious with their lives, there should be some sort of incentive, whether it be more points, point multipliers, or any kind of positive reinforcement. Rewarding people for staying alive sounds like it would work better than punishing them for dying (because face it, everyone is gonna die... a lot)

Upvote 0
It would encourage camping on the other team also.

How about the defending team only gets poınts for stayıng alıve or just certaın classes lıke snıper and MG, but I dont thınk ıt would encourage campıng for the attackers too anyway. Capturıng an obj gıves you 10 poınts so you have to stay alıve for 10 mın and thats pretty hard to do.

Upvote 0
Dunno If i'm to happy about that myself. 3 Minutes for a capzone just feels really short. I can remember plenty of occasions where we won the map while 1 cap took 15 minutes.

well 3 minutes for certain capzones in a 1 life situation looks as though it'd be fine.....at least from the standpoint of typical "clanplay". however for countdown to appeal to realism guys, 3 minutes would probably just be way to short. i'd imagine countdown will give options to the server admins to set how much time to alot per objective....even options for mappers to determine the amount of time to give per certain objectives.

Upvote 0
Don't want to make things too complicated...

I thought the general idea was to win the match :p

Defenders already have it pretty straight forward:
-You die too much you may not win

As for attackers, if rewarded for staying alive, they may never want to die. If they are guaranteed points every so often, why bother going anywhere? Just sit back and take pot shots.

And I thought the "fear of death" issue had to do with the suppression effect anyways?

Upvote 0
Points for staying alive can be exploited too easily. I personally think camping can be very advantageous in a battle, especially in many defensive situations, but awarding points on staying alive will promote all the wrong types of camping (hiding, avoiding the fight, etc).

I could be wrong, but I see this as more of a potential problem than good.

Now, if it was strictly linked to some pointless achievement such as playing a whole round on a stock map without dying, ehhh, what the hell, that would be ok.

Upvote 0
I don't see how this would change the gameplay for better or worse, so it sounds unnecessary in my opinion. I mean, how many would bother putting effort into staying alive for the sake of a single point?

maybe a bigger spawntime? like 20 - 40 seconds?

Horrible idea. Don't even mention it please. If there's more waiting than playing in a game there's no fun playing it.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't work, people don't care about points, they care about making kills.

See RO, where you get 10 points for capping. It's still more satisfying to shoot someone in the face than to sit in an empty capzone.

Go back to the suppression threads, that's the solution!

Too true. If anything I dislike how much capturing flags inflates one's score; when I look at my own score or someone else's, I think that it should work as a collection of stats for kill per death ratio. Even when I'm performing poorly I like to see what my KPD ratio is.

But the best in terms of the scoreboard would be to have overall score, followed by separate fields for kills and deaths.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0