• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

a simple question

jamxo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 31, 2006
The free trial enticed me to play RO again, and Im loving it, but I seem to be getting low FPS (this is happening in other new games as well).

I think its time to upgrade some components of my computer, and I was wondering which would yield the greatest increase in FPS in recent 3D games.

At present my system is:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz
512MB ram
ATI Radeon Pro 9800 128mb
Win XP SP2.

sorry for the vagueness, im not very knowledgeable of the in's and out's of computers.

thanks!

mate ive got pretty much the same rig as u except i got 1 gig of ram and a 6600GT graphx card. I have exactly the same processor though. Im getting the same problem-low fps.

If i were u id get another stick of 512mb ram, as thats rather cheap and would help alot with ro and all your other games

In the future u should invest in a new processor, but the problem is u would probably need a new mobo so get ram just for now. Your graphx card is fine for ro as ro is mainly ram/processor dependant.

This is probably what i will be doing in the future when i get enough spare cash.

Upvote 0
Do you guys use the latest 91.31 drivers from nVidia(jamxo obviously not because he has an ATI card)? If so, roll back to the 8x.xx series. 91.31 are very buggy.

Another thing about drivers is that you definately have to unistall the old drivers before installing new ones.

Could be a spyware/trojan problem as well. Certainly if it's one that uses a lot of your CPU resources. Browsed for pr0n lately?

@jamxo:
Upgrading your graphicscard can really boost your performance and so does getting an extra stick of 512MB memory

Upvote 0
I would not recommend upgrading your components at all.
Better save for a complete new system.
I assume you are still running on an older 478 mainboard with AGP slot, and you will not find a big range of video cards on the market that still fit in AGP. I think the 6800LE is one of them, however. You could get half-a-gig extra ram that would also help.
All that is really worth upgrading right now is your video card, and your ram.
If you really want to upgrade graphics adapter you might have to consider buying a new PSU depending on what is feeding your system right now.

Upvote 0