• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A query about tanks in RO2 (yes, I've read the fact thread)

Stephen

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Ch
We're getting a couple of medium tanks at launch and a couple of light tanks soon after.

Do people think TWI will add a couple of heavy tanks at some point down the line?

Panzer VI (Tiger I) and KV-1 maybe?

I think six tanks would be good, and present different strategies.

Besides, if there's one big tank map (as I think there is) then a couple of Tigers will be needed for coolness alone. :IS2:

I would expect to see some heavier tanks, but not "paired" like KV-1 & Tiger 1.

Implementing the KV presents a problem as the germans didn't just "engage" in the classic tank-to-tank way - something that is difficult to fit into the game (calling in support specifically to deal etc).

The Tiger 1 was in service at the end of the Stalingrad campaign during withdrawals. It'd be interesting to see if, and how they are implemented.

Would much rather see more varients of the medium/light tanks and self propelled guns based on their chassis.

Upvote 0
As mainly an infantry player i would rather have some antitank guns available to help to make the tank guys miserable.
Maybe nothing too fancy or overpowered.

Like the 37 mm pak, 45mm soviet, the 47mm skoda or the 50mm pak.
Altough i dont have a clue how to balance them, 50mm pak would be highly overpowered compared to the others, but the long barrel russian 45mm and the 47mm skoda would be a fair match i gues.

Are antitank guns planed ? I would love that :D

Upvote 0
I want to see self-propelled guns more than heavy tanks.

Indeed, it would add value to holding some control points in territory mode: it allows for very interesting map designs in which tank movement is somewhat contrived relative to infantry movement, all without relying on narrow streets and doorways (through which a tank can't fit). If they implement the AT guns similarly to the way they implemented the heavy machine guns, with the actual guns randomly spawning on some (but not all) of the many predefined potential "spawn points", it would be very sweet indeed.

But of course heavy tanks are very interesting too ;)
I have a knack for map designs relying on a single heavy tank defending against multiple light/medium tanks. It's asymmetrical and if done right it can be really fun for both sides, especially with how the new tanking system seems to be turning out.

Reactions: Calumhm
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to see self-propelled guns more than heavy tanks.

I second that, for a game like this I prefer infantry combat to be the priority and assault guns fit perfectly into this as they were primarily intended to support the infantry. They are also vulnerable only being able to fire in a narrow arc and have armour that isn't anything amazing. I'd like to see a Stug with a L/24 as this kind of forces it into the infantry support role as it will only be able to penetrate very thin armour or get a lucky shot on the decks of a T34 added to which such a stumpy gun isn't too accurate.

As for anti tank guns I'm not so sure if they are going to be as powerful as a Pak38. I'd prefer a 28mm sPzB 41 or 37mm for the Germs and a 37mm or 45mm for the Ruskies.

Upvote 0
Their will be no tanks in: In Country:Vietnam, according to the mod team.

http://forum.incountrymod.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94

That isn't quite true. What we've stated is you won't see tanks in release 1, and that generally in Vietnam "tank combat" as such didn't really happen. If/when we add additional vehicles, AFVs and the like we will be making use of the RO2 systems.

We're going to make use of all the new systems as best as we can. You are unlikely to find a tank only map any time soon though. But the use of vehicles in support roles for release 2 onwards is definitely something we are actively discussing.

Upvote 0
That isn't quite true. What we've stated is you won't see tanks in release 1, and that generally in Vietnam "tank combat" as such didn't really happen. If/when we add additional vehicles, AFVs and the like we will be making use of the RO2 systems.

We're going to make use of all the new systems as best as we can. You are unlikely to find a tank only map any time soon though. But the use of vehicles in support roles for release 2 onwards is definitely something we are actively discussing.

I want to see some riverboats :p. **** tanks give us automatic AI controlled choppers when were going to land. And give both teams boats instead of tanks.

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0