• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A plea to TWI: server option for universal weapon statistics

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
First off, TWI, I commend you on making a splendid game, I enjoy it immensly, which is why I bother to make this thread.

I fully realize the rank-up system is here to stay, but I think it's safe to say there is a group of players that does not enjoy this aspect and likes to play with weapons that have characteristics that do not change over time.The below suggestion accomodates this group of players, while still allowing players to use the current system.

My suggestion is to introduce a new server setting that uses one static set of values for all weapons and character statistics and also tweaks class/weapon availabilities where necessary.
I know the last patch gave server admins the choice to limit weapon levels, but I fear this is not enough (at least not for public play). The problem is: one time you join such a server, the limit is at 10, while the next server has it at level 25. So it still does not provide the feeling of 1 set of universal weapon stats you can come to know and love. Also, it is hard to identify such servers in the server browser, since they do not have a specific parameter that identifies them as such servers.
So, it should be you, TWI, to decide on this 1 universal set of stats used in this proposed server setting. I fully trust that you, TWI, can come up with a set of weapon/character stats and class availability that is both historicaly accurate and fun to play with. I suggest giving servers using this setting a separate browser tab, called 'unranked realism' or something like that. You can either still allow collecting XP points on such servers, or not. Either is fine with me.

I know the last patch gave server admins the choice to limit weapon levels, but I fear this is not enough (at least not for public play). The problem is: one time you join such a server, the limit is at 10, while the next server has it at level 25. So it still does not provide the feeling of 1 set of universal weapon stats you can come to know and love. Also, it is hard to identify such servers in the server browser, since they do not have a specific parameter that identifies them as such servers.
Yup, this. As soon as the ability to limit servers to a chosen 'level' range was announced I knew immediately that what will result is a flood of servers all set up differently and no-one having a clue what to play. It will be worse than chaos and it won't help matters in the slightest.

What is needed, IMO, is a stock realism server setting that pins all weapon levels to 26, i.e., the full set of gear as one would expect to see being available sans unlocks system, and also includes key realism tweaks as a default (tweaks that have already thrashed out on these forums many times over). Basically, just apply this model to the current Realism mode. I don't think anyone would miss the current Realism mode as it's far too similar to Relaxed anyway so there'd be no reason to keep it as is, as a discreet mode.

Upvote 0
+1

although its to emulate a soldier getting better the longer he serves which is right enough... you never know he might have been a olympic sharpshooter before he signed up ;)

also the older players will have an advantage over new players

cant harm to have it as a server setting

wouldn't you get better at shooting the guns because you acquire the skill to do so, just as irl?
this artificial "getting better" makes no sense..this means i can just sit my dog at the pc, and click for him to get ready and whatnot..and after a couple of months he will be proficient with a rifle, even though he doesn't play? lol

you get better in time, because you MANUALLY learn to control the (non-existent) recoil, aim ahead on side shots, get better at positioning yourself etc.. that's how it should be. just my 2 cents

Reactions: VyvyanBasterd
Upvote 0