• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A note for server admins

SQBsam

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
Australia
Hi there, Firstly, thanks for setting up servers for us to all play on. We do really appreciate it and the dedication put in by admins to keep the servers orderly is likewise appreciated.

Just a note, the warping and high pings are not caused by "high player counts", although they are obviously exacerbated by having more players in the server. The warping problems seem to be due to the PB option being enabled. We have tested PB on and off and, though we can't figure out why this is, having PB turned OFF just about halves the pings with a player count more than 30 and completely eliminates stuttering up to 50 players.

So just a suggestion, please turn this off if people complain about high pings and warping on your server, chances are your server IS powerful enough to run with high player counts but that PB is causing these problems.

I hope we can find and eliminate the problem in the near future so we can use this service, until then please turn it off.

Cheers, have fun in game!

-Sam

By the same regard, I have seen countless people being kicked for speed hacks by PB due to the warping created by PB!

During the beta, alot of servers had Punkbuster disabled due to it causing lag issues but those have been rectified and people were being kicked from servers even then. I know this because i have first hand experience of it.

It's caused by players when they have other people connected to their network and making the bandwidth drop therefore causing the warping/lag effect which is making the built-in speed hack detection think its someone using a speed hack.

Don't get me wrong, Punkbuster has it's issues but it's not the cause the Speed Hack Detection as far as i'm aware and i don't mean to come across as rude but you'll be hard pressed to find many server admins who will turn off Punkbuster.

Upvote 0