a new processor

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

all_purpose_box

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 24, 2006
smithville, ohio
www.newegg.com
what should i look for in buying a processor for my new computer?
i have a few in mind.

proccessor 1. operating frequency 2.2 Ghz, L2 cache- 1mb, price- $75.00, core- san diego

processor 2. operating frequency 2.4 Ghz, L2 cache 512 kb, price- $90.00, core- venice

i would say number 2 is better but what does the caches mean and what do they do? those are the only major differences so what would be the better buy?

Last edited:

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
the cpu cache is a small ammount of memory inside the cpu that helps it work along faster, the bigger the better. if i were you for a processor i would go for a socket 940 OR 775 lga , and go with a duo core. the one i was looking at for myself is a 775 duo core intelchip, 3.4 ghz, 800 fsb 2x2mb cache. so due core means 2 .. so thats more like 6.8 ghz..

melipone

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 22, 2006
Whats your budget and what pieces do you already have to put in your new pc?

Conroes are the best things you can get atm (Intel Core 2 Duo) and cost about​

Last edited:

melipone

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 22, 2006
Thought I might as well mention this, for anyone upgrading any time soon, theres a great deal on 8800GTS's atm at scan.co.uk Today Only -​

PermenentMarker

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
Montreal Quebec
www.coolit-online.com
i would say number 2 is better but what does the caches mean and what do they do? those are the only major differences so what would be the better buy?

Hard Drives = Permenent Storage
Ram = Whatever is running
CPU L2 Cash = Pending to be processed
CPU L1 Cash = Being processed.

Double the cpu's little memory or 200Mhz faster processing

I would place my bet on the one with the cash

fiftyone

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 6, 2006
I ordered parts for myself yesterday ( after a lot of research ).

Asrock 775 VSTA main board, reviews are quite good ,check Anantech.com.

This board allows me to keep my ddr1 ram and my AGP GPU.
There is some doubt about the PCIe slot that is restricted to 4x, although it is noted that as little as a 3/5% loss for a mid range graphics card. 56