• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

a new processor

what should i look for in buying a processor for my new computer?
i have a few in mind.

proccessor 1. operating frequency 2.2 Ghz, L2 cache- 1mb, price- $75.00, core- san diego

processor 2. operating frequency 2.4 Ghz, L2 cache 512 kb, price- $90.00, core- venice

i would say number 2 is better but what does the caches mean and what do they do? those are the only major differences so what would be the better buy?

Last edited:
the cpu cache is a small ammount of memory inside the cpu that helps it work along faster, the bigger the better. if i were you for a processor i would go for a socket 940 OR 775 lga , and go with a duo core. the one i was looking at for myself is a 775 duo core intelchip, 3.4 ghz, 800 fsb 2x2mb cache. so due core means 2 .. so thats more like 6.8 ghz..

Upvote 0
i would say number 2 is better but what does the caches mean and what do they do? those are the only major differences so what would be the better buy?

Hard Drives = Permenent Storage
Ram = Whatever is running
CPU L2 Cash = Pending to be processed
CPU L1 Cash = Being processed.

Double the cpu's little memory or 200Mhz faster processing

I would place my bet on the one with the cash

Upvote 0
I ordered parts for myself yesterday ( after a lot of research ).

Asrock 775 VSTA main board, reviews are quite good ,check Anantech.com.

This board allows me to keep my ddr1 ram and my AGP GPU.
There is some doubt about the PCIe slot that is restricted to 4x, although it is noted that as little as a 3/5% loss for a mid range graphics card. 56

Upvote 0