• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A look inside the H&K factory

While this soundsa pretty impressive at first, it is an absolutely stupid thing to do.
This is not because I do not trust the weapon to be still operable (which could very well not be the case, though) but because of enemy IEDs.
Wheneveryou see something strange and unnatural, remind yourself: "It's a trap!".
As a soldier, unless you're really desperate, you would never use enemy equipment left on the battlefield (it's different if you capture their depot, of course) without proper inspection.
A rifle could very well be linked to a mine via tripwire or even be manipulated so it blows up in your face when you shoot it.
And we all know the VC's methods of improvising...

This guy has been very lucky, yet stupid

Hopefully he cleared the barrel first. That's a "must do" whenever you pick a weapon up out of the mud.

Burial in mud is something that's a standard test for any modern weapons. Ditto for dunking them in the water.

Guns are cool. They're one of the few tools that can't be replaced by anything else. Can't wait to get some more!

The AK10X series sights still sukc. and when will they move that safety into a reasonable place!? They need to quit worshipping Kalashnikov already. He did a good job and all, but c'mon, lets get our sights and ergonomics into the latter half of the 20th century, please!

The AN-94's quick-two idea is robbed from HK's G11 project. And I'm so sick of hearing the SVD referred to as a "sniper rifle." It's a support rifle, not for true snipers.

Lol @ their "ranges up to 200M" crap for a weapon chambered in 9x18mm. That's such a weak round, it can operate in simple blowback pistols.

Guns are cool. They're one of the few tools that can't be replaced by anything else. Can't wait to get some more!

Edit: Can we get the s u c k word taken off the "not allowed" list already? Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly "E" stands for export. You can easily recognise the export versions by the lack of the Red dot sight.
Foreign armies like Spain only get the export versions, while police agencies like the capitol police (IIRC they changed to another AR recently) get the normal version.
I doubt that there is an AG36E.

Upvote 0
Exactly "E" stands for export. You can easily recognise the export versions by the lack of the Red dot sight.

That's pretty much lacking there, then.
/likes his red dot sight ;)

I believe the export version also uses a different trigger group that replaces either the single-shot or the full-auto mode with a three-round burst setting.
It also uses the well-known HK "bullet signs" instead of letters (S, E, F for save, single-shot and full-auto) for the firing setting.

Upvote 0
The AN-94 is supposedly the most advanced assault rifle in the world. It’s similar in operation to the H&K G11. It fires the first two rounds at 1800 rpm, the barrel and internal assembly reciprocates, and the shooter only feels the recoil impulse of one shot. This allows both bullets to impact the target simultaneously, at the same point, apparently making it capable of defeating body armor.

A few years ago it was in the news, when the IRA got their hands on some of the state-of-the-art rifles:
http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2002/04/22/story27178.asp

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2002/04/22/011.html

Meh they forgot to mention that the AN is on a dead end road already with most of the Russian forces preferring the AK74M. The rifle is not well balanced and has inferior reliability compared to the AKs (both in part due to the magazine being inserted at an odd angle). The AEK and the AKs with the balanced gas action are a lot more interesting, though they too struggle on the market.

Upvote 0
Huh, what? It looks like the AN-94 uses an AK-74 magazine. It certainly has what looks like an AK-style mag catch.

One of the other negatives to the AK rifles is the magazine catch/release setup. The magazine has to be "rocked" into the rifle; insert the front first, then rock it back into the catch mechanism.

I'd bet the REAL reason these rifles haven't caught on is that they're more expensive to produce, and training troops in proper maintenance is more time-consuming, and therefore also more expensive.

AK advantage: If someone can't learn to do field maintenance on one in an hour or less, their IQ is probably double-digit.

Upvote 0
The AN magazine is inserted at an angle to make space for the extra return spring. That's a fact. You could say when any ordinary rifle feeds from 6 o clock, this one feeds from 5 o clock.

The advantage of the two-round burst comes at the cost of worse balance, more complexity and a higher cost. While the AEK's system reduces recoil in single AND full auto and is a lot simpler and cheaper.

Upvote 0
The AN magazine is inserted at an angle to make space for the extra return spring. That's a fact. You could say when any ordinary rifle feeds from 6 o clock, this one feeds from 5 o clock.

Ahh, it's canted. Got it.

I'm not convinced of that quick-two's advantages... Only at really long ranges when the rifle's pushing the limits of it's accuracy. At close range, it'll just put two bullets through the same hole, which doesn't really do anything but waste a bullet.

Upvote 0
Lol, I haven't been too impressed by the M1As, either. Though I've only gotten to shoot a SOCOM 16 flavor of that rifle, and... well... thought it was crap.

Full-house rifle, short as a mofo, so it's loud, high recoil, and CQB? And the rails are retarded, IMO. The thing that I hated most about the SOCOM was the front sight covered 8" at only 50 yards. Good luck hitting anything.

Maybe the full-length rifle is better. I hope so, they're damn sexy.

Upvote 0
Hmm, the SoCom-16 must have a different front post than the standard M1A, mine looks almost identical to a M1 Garand.

I would rather have a notch in the rear however, I don't like 'peep sights'. Total crap compared to my old Remmington .22 boltie, with the standard notch and blade. That one is a tac-driver.

After cruising the gun-shops in '99 before the Ban, I held several rifles, and I kept going back to the M1A... it just felt right in my hands. The action is as rugged and dependable as an AKM imo. Battle proven.

Plus, who wants a 'plastic rifle' I like the heavy walnut stock and steel butt-plate... you could really mess up an intruder with a quick bash to the grill. :D

Upvote 0