• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A list of vital alterations to infantry mechanics. (Lots of Pics and Scheming)

Rag doll interaction with external forces

Rag doll interaction with external forces

Always wondered the RO1 effect when enemy takes a hit and slows down to "damage speed" in middle of action, e.g. running stops like you hit pause button.

In RO2: hit an enemy with a burst of machine gun fire without killing him instantly - off he goes running with some splashes of blood left behind.

Now I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but I, for one, would like to see:

- rag doll dropping weapon if hit to arms perhaps with x% chance, or y% if hit to upper torso area, possible weapon breakage (small chance only)
- running upright rag doll falling down if hit to leg(s) with some z% chance, with w% chance of dropping gun in hand and v% chance of dropping stuff from backpack, or at least taking side-steps and slowing down to walk speed with u% chance
- running prone rag doll the same, but should be harder to stay on two feet
- standing rag doll hit to legs(s) should take a balancing step or two
- survivable nade going off in near vicinity could also make rag doll sway and possibly fall to ground in addition to displacement

These percentages could be somewhat lowered by higher proficiency in role.

I imagine different animations and small variations could be royal pain in the ***, but could add a lot of realism.

Additionally, if you're hit by bullet or nade, you should take immediate e.g. -50% decrease in accuracy etc. Hit to arms, and shooting back is a pain. Hit to feet, running speed goes down the drain. After a few seconds, regain composure but leave a slight impairment - that bandage ain't gonna heal it in five seconds.

Upvote 0
I agree with this post 100%

I wonder why TWI didnt implement stuff like this in the first place...

Also, i despise the zoom. It does not fit in with this game at all; i dont care how realistic it is. YOu know what else is realistic?

Going to war, getting wounded, losing your legs, and returning home with a severe case of depression. My point is, realism is great, but in the end, this is a game and "gameplay" comes first. Zooming makes this game into a headshotfest, and is responsible for many other issues.

TWI needs to get rid of this. But we know thats not gonna happen; TWI would much sooner take scissors to their own balls, before cutting away anything form their "precious" game...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder why TWI didnt implement stuff like this in the first place...

Also, i despise the zoom. It does not fit in with this game at all; i dont care how realistic it is. YOu know what else is realistic?

TWI needs to get rid of this. But we know thats not gonna happen; TWI would much sooner take scissors to their own balls, before cutting away anything form their "precious" game...

No Body Collision is very realitic, isn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is actually abit of weapon collision in game, just not quite covering the whole length of the gun. Get close to a window, stand near the windowframe, aim down sights outside and then turn into the windowframe. You'll notice your gun "bumps" into the window frame, stoping you from shooting the last one to two inches (width of gun) of what you can see through the window.

Upvote 0
I think that what the OP suggests is nice for the RO1 veterans out here, but it doesn't quite meet the expectations of newer players or realism freaks.

Here's an idea:

1. Adrenaline, instead of falling down as soon as you get shot, you are able to keep running. You get a small stamina bonus but as soon as you rest you start noticing the pain and thus all the penalties such as slowed down movement, being unable to sprint etc etc. As soon as you've used adrenaline, it needs to recharge slowely. This should effective reduce the annoyance caused by penalties without going overboard and encourages players to take it easy as soon as they get to safety.

2. Add a slight blur to the outer edges of the screen while zooming in to simulate concentrating on a distant object, staying in this mode should strain the eyes so after 5 seconds you unzoom and everything is slighty blurry for a second. You will see a short blink and everything is sharp again.

3. When you sprint, add a slight head bobbing. Don't overdo it as you don't want nausea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I sympathize with your feeling about the zoom, I just don't share it. For me the principle of more realistic engagement ranges and better taking advantage of the effective range of the weapons wins the day. Does the zoom in/zoom out mechanic feel artificial? Yea, a bit, because our eyes don't do that. But it's the only viable compromise, really. But, I think there are some things for you to reconsider that you are ignoring in your argument against zoom:
No matter how often people told me that the "zoom" is realistic, because it shows your realism view (without zoom) and your realism scale of view (when you are zooming).
This zoom destroy a part of the game for me. It

Upvote 0
2. Add a slight blur to the outer edges of the screen while zooming in to simulate concentrating on a distant object, staying in this mode should strain the eyes so after 5 seconds you unzoom and everything is slighty blurry for a second. You will see a short blink and everything is sharp again.

3. When you sprint, add a slight head bobbing. Don't overdo it as you don't want nausea.

2. Misses the point of the zoom. The zoom doesn't simulate concentrating on a distant object and straining your eyes. It counteracts being zoomed OUT all the time which is the effect of fov compromises in gaming. In other words, the zoomed-in view is a better representation of scale that you would normally see without straining. It sacrifices some fov, necessarily, and this is why it can only be zoomed when you want it to, not because it is an act of straining your eyes to see better.

3. might be good but requires caution. It doesn't take much to add to eyestrain and nauseous reactions.

Upvote 0
Zooming makes this game into a headshotfest,
I'd like to challenge this claim. Obviously, zoom improves aiming abilities, but I think the real cause of this 'headshot' fest is that sights are allways rock-steady. Sights need to get misalligned more often (for example when switching between standing and crouch) and there needs to be a bit more sway.

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0