• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A list of vital alterations to infantry mechanics. (Lots of Pics and Scheming)

I think the system is good, You just need to tweak it, such as zoom, you need to have smaller FOV (Sorry, I dont know much still waiting for game) and add something that fuzzies your view after squinting along time at the target.

Then for hold breath your going to need more sway as it would be realistic, just not over the top. We will be fine that way.

Upvote 0
Great contribution, W2Hell!

Back in my ArmA modding times, I completely removed the zoom, because there is no such thing (hell, I'd love to zoom in on my pistol targets like that IRL!)

You know what else isn't in real life? Seeing a man sized target at 100 meters as less than 1 cm in your field of vision. If human eyes were as poor as computer monitors you'd be practically invulnerable to any non-scoped enemy fire over 150 meters.

The eye will, with insufficient oxygen, be the first organ to reduce effectiveness. You'll see a false image, a copy of what actually happened at the time your brain processed the scene before you held your breath.

HUH?!

Upvote 0
Oh the irony, the OP is advocating the removal of variable field of view, then goes on to talk about how player characters are out of scale to the game world. This is an optical illusion, a byproduct from how all scales get messed up while you are NOT zooming, ie when you are just moving around as usual. Hold down shift and EVERYTHING starts looking the way it should.

The photographic evidence provided in the OP is irrelevant and misleading. You don't know what lenses, elevation and zoom levels were used for the photos. Put a camera at chest height (as most tripods would be) and the people you are shooting will look taller. Put 4x zoom on your camera and objects in the background is going to look bigger behind your subject. A wide angle lense is going to make everything look small and distant, similar to the default view in the game. The game looks photo realistic but it deprives you of some level of control you should reasonably have over your virtual soldier. Bringing up ironsights without tightening the field of view would be the same as trying to aim through the viewfinder of a 1x zoom camera, ie a depth perception very different from our own eyes. while what we get when we hold down shift is the same thing we would see with the naked eye minus a whole lot of peripheral vision (which does not fit on a flat 2D monitor).

The OP is mostly stuffed with good ideas, except for the field of view/scale and bayonet discussion which is built on false assumptions and misleading evidence.

Your argument is invalid.

Here is why:

Zoom level's have nothing to do with the "true scale" of the objects ie "Player Characters" vs "Game world". Zooming in the sights, shrinks the FOV and brings the camera closer to the sight thereby simulating focus but in this case more along the lines of "tunnel vision". Zooming in does not shrink some objects and make other objects larger. They remain in proportion to each other as long as the distance between them is constant.

The pictures clearly show the scale difference between objects such as sandbags, windows, doorways and the playermodels. It is a matter of reference not zoom.

Follow this simple logic. A big rock is big because it is larger than a small rock, thereby a small rock is small because it is smaller than the big rock.

Now the pictures demonstrate that the game world is big because the character model is smaller in reference to the objects around it. A door-handle is at shoulder level, a tram that is two and a half men tall. That is more than enough evidence to show that the two objects are out of proportion. True proportions between objects do not change if the camera zooms in.

But the biggest flaw in your argument is that you failed to notice is (all realism arguments aside) the gameplay ramifications of the removal of the zoom function, which was my original intent. Taking the game back to RO1 levels of pixel hunting. Instead of insta-headshotting across the entire level we have now.

Reactions: Kleist
Upvote 0
You know what else isn't in real life? Seeing a man sized target at 100 meters as less than 1 cm in your field of vision. If human eyes were as poor as computer monitors you'd be practically invulnerable to any non-scoped enemy fire over 150 meters.

HUH?!

SOme people still don't understand. By having a fixed FOV you indeed end up not seeing infantry past 100m (however, I could spot them to greater distance on my rig/config), but this is not you in that game. It is a virtual soldier and every soldier will see the same. It will reduce figthing distance, but only for those that think games should be a 1:1 copy of the real world. Look at WW20. No FOV change, no complaints. And as I said in another thread, fighting over 300m was common, because everyone had the same scale on-screen.

As a shooter you will learn alot about biology, biomechanics and anatomy. When the human eye suffers from insufficient oxygen it will "show" a "screenshot" of the scene. You pretty much see a copy of what was going on until you take a deep breath, close your eyes for some seconds and try again. The eye starts to copy the image after a few seconds, in a controlled environment after 7 seconds, but under stress faster.

So this whole "to zoom" or "not to zoom" discussion is just people that want the real eye sight in-game but only the pros and not the cons. And there are a lot of cons...for example being blinded by the muzzleflash playing Barracks, eye trauma after close artillery/grenade impacts, dust/debris on the eye after an impact next/infront of you, slow focus in stress situations, focus in general (only the front sight is in focus, the scene/target out of focus, and yes, you can shift the focus, but a serious shooter better watches for signs of canting/misalignment) or if he prefers to focus the target suffers medium range accuracy by several centimeters...

I could continue, but I guess you guys just want the good things to play with but not the bad things. So the easiest way to scrap that pro/con issue is to fix the FOV, have everything in focus but reducing the visual aquvisision range, which won't impact gameplay because the max visual range is 300m at best. Realistic? No, but already in-game...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the healing process changed aswell.

In my opinion, it should take at least 6-7 seconds to heal yourself: and when you're healed, you won't go back to 100% health. Instead, healing yourself only stop the bleeding. This would mean that the injury would affect your performance; for instance, if you're shot in the arm you wont be able to aim very good, if you're shot in chest, your stamina will be reduced by 80%, and if you're hit in the leg, you will sprint slower. I think it's very good and easy fixes to increase the immersion.

In overall, this thread made me realize what actually made RO so good.
I think they should re-invent the old the old features the creators of this thread have listed (not neccesary all of them) in HOS.

Reactions: Icey_Pain
Upvote 0
Tripwire staff must read this topic and comment! Scaling up the soldiers must be done.
Another thing that must be changed is the MP machine pistol front sights
they look tiny just like if the weapon has long barell like a rifle.
IN Ostfront the fron sight of the MP german machine pistol look much more relistic.
Please add this to 1st post of the thread. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Way too tl;dr for me to read, but in particular:

>Insta headshot fest that any noob can participate in, instead of, epic rifle exchanges where the best pixel-hunter wins!

I'm sorry... why is either result at all desirable? I don't like brutal overly accurate firefights more than anyone else, but it's a long shot to say that pixel hunting is any better.

>There is no eye-zoom in the rl

Yes there is, the eye is naturally capable of focusing in on distant objects with greater detail. In real life it's easy to spot someone at 200m away and fire accurately, in RO:OST it's like hunting grains of sand. Sadly, a computer monitor is always a foot away from your eyes regardless of any in-game distance, and so this effect isn't replicable without a "zoom" in the game itself.

I think the eagle eye mode should be removed, and the default slight zoom you get just normally using your sights kept. Removing it entirely is just silly and makes the game just as bad and unrealistic, only difference is it caters to the RO:OST fanboys who, if they had their way, would simply have Tripwire throw RO:OST onto a DX11 engine and do nothing else to try and improve it, from the sentiments I see on these forums.

Upvote 0
Agreed with most of what OP said. I don't agree with charged up bayonets though. RO1 was a pain in the arse when it came to melee anyway. I mean, do people suddenly become stronger holding something at the ready for 10 seconds usually? If you gonna stab with a bayonet, i'd *imagine* it would be pretty easy to do in a spontanious fashion and do a sizable amount of injury.

Thrusting a sharp, pointy object and all that.

Upvote 0