• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF A Killing Floor game on OUYA

[TW]Wilsonam

VP, Tripwire Int.
Oct 17, 2005
Roswell, GA
www.tripwireinteractive.com
For those watching what is happening on the OUYA console, here is a little bit of news: http://www.ouya.tv/tripwire-confirms-new-killing-floor-game-coming-to-ouya

We've been working with Robin Flodin and his team at Gaming Corps in Sweden, responsible for the silliness that is "Dwarfs!?", on a spinoff from mainstream Killing Floor. We've been wanting to explore couch gaming, following on from the success on multi-player and co-op games and, frankly, are really fascinated to see where OUYA can go with a $99 console. So we thought we'd build a game for it, which is where this one comes in to play. Known internally as "Calamity" (we reckon we need a good name for it, so lets hear them on the forums), we went with a top-down style, so that we can get 4 players AND a ton of zeds on screen at once, on lower-spec hardware. The tech is pretty much done, so we're going to spend the next few months on the gameplay, balance, fun and polish. Expect to see more details and media over the coming weeks and months!

But we all saw a "Project Calamity" on the Steamdb, can we assume that this will be on the PC as well? Not sure what to make of it being an RTS game I was kinda hoping for a FPS game but I'll no doubt try it.

But yeah well done on what you've done on there :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please don't make it an OUYA exclusive. At least put it on Steam as well and let us play with our 360 pads.

This. I think it could still work as a small multiplayer game on Steam, with four-player online co-op. Plus, if you made it, say, 25%-50% off for people who already have Killing Floor, I'm sure people will easily buy it as a "lite experience". Maybe even have a special weapon or character unlock for regular Killing Floor for those who buy it, like with Dwarfs?! and Rising Storm.

You'd probably sell more copies on PC than OUYA like that. ;)

Upvote 0
I can't believe anybody is putting a game out for that thing, aside from the people who already only make games for android. That ouya PoS is going to flop harder then the Xbacks Jaun.
Why do you think the ouya will flop? Where is the indication of that?
If anything it's already proven that it hasn't 'flopped' as people have already bought theirs before release. The crowd-funding and pre-order has been a success already.

Or do you mean that it will not be very popular after people have got their hands on it? Like returns, bad reviews etc?

Upvote 0
Once again, I see TWI is playing trivial pursuit with it's bank account on the table. Why not waste time and resources to improve the original Killing Floor? The chances of Ouya getting popular is equal to Korea finally quitting Starcraft gaming leagues. I don't see it happening except maybe in Sweden.

Would any of you go out and buy a $99 Dollar 3rd party console, pay an additional 5? 10? maybe 15? dollars to play an alternative version of KF played by a top-down thirdperson perspective? If so, your very shallow, you make me sad, and will likely jump off a bridge with a rock tied to your head if Tripwire Interactive asked you to.

What kind of fan are you if you never sit down and have a talk with your idol and mingle about change? About the things that really matter? You know, like planning to use what remaining resources on repairing previous products. The suggestion page on TWI gets a lot of crap posts, but it has a few gems in it that could really use some attention from official staff and developers. Make use of your forums, advertisement doesn't really count as much as it used to.

There's still a load of bugs to squashed, features to be implemented and updates to be made to improve an experience that can go farther. You only screw yourself if you don't refine your work. :rolleyes: Edit: That being said, screwing up on the Ouya port having the same number of bugs. I will just throw my head back in life and just laugh our loud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nobody has said "hey, go buy this console, KF Calamity is gonna rawk dude, go buy it, now!"

At the end of the day, it's TW's product, money and hard work that goes into making stuff like this. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and saying "buy it". And if they want to experiment with different platforms then cool. It may flop, it may succeed.

Calamity does look cool but I won't invest in another device. I already have way too many gadgets.

Also, as stated, KF PC will still receive updates.

Upvote 0
The chances of Ouya getting popular is equal to Korea finally quitting Starcraft gaming leagues.
Proof?

Would any of you go out and buy a $99 Dollar 3rd party console, pay an additional 5? 10? maybe 15? dollars to play an alternative version of KF
I'd pay $50 for an ouya, which it might be in the future, and yes $10 for top-down KF sounds pretty neat to me.

If so, your very shallow, you make me sad, and will likely jump off a bridge with a rock tied to your head if Tripwire Interactive asked you to.
How did you get here?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and saying "buy it". And if they want to experiment with different platforms then cool. It may flop, it may succeed.

Also, as stated, KF PC will still receive updates.
Exactly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Gregs2k2 & nd2spd

This so called console that has your faith bouncing between hoops and your words is proving my point. Taking my reply to this post as a hostility shows your misinterpreting it. Instead of carefully reading reading my post, you suddenly believe I am attacking TWI. This is what is called harsh criticism. And only people who care issue it. I suppose you guys being fans don't do you? You go on quoting me and telling me I'm the bad guy. We are all here to support TWI in some way, or make a request. There's more to the social life than just a simple forum. Remove the forums if you cant take a carefully thought out opinion and criticism.

I insist, because if you do, then nobody would have to deal with anything like this. No more ideas, no more opinions, no more announcements (As you can always get those through the site) and TWI could even save more web bandwidth. The upkeep here must be a real pain. So anyway, if you care to dissect more of my words and use them against me, feel free to. Go right ahead, there is no law for being an ignorant to other peoples views here obviously. More power to you. :D

(Revised-Argument/opinion: Ouya doesn't have much of a chance, I understand if you invested in it, but it has so many odds against it. Even in today's market. I would've succeeded around the late 90's for it's technology. There are so many things out there that does what it already does, and I express my concerns with Tripwire by making a possible conclusion even if it was sarcastic. To many.. Any kind of video game production, needs time, and effort, and if your paying a team, it needs funding. What if, they actually dedicated some more time to KF itself for the PC platform? Ironing out the flaws, adding creative ideas, and more. But sorry, I just care enough to say that perhaps these other decisions like RO2 and Rising Storm could've defiantly detracted from improving Killing Floor. It doesn't take much to think about. Sure nobody is forcing me to buy it. Nobody is threatening me. It's completely optional. But can't I have a say in company affairs and hope they postpone such an idea to work on the original Killing Floor a little more? I hope it's not a crime..)

Not to mention I've a created support thread for getting at least one decent weapon implemented. That never took off despite all the support I've gotten, even from people like you, and I have to thank you for it. I'm soon gonna remove my signature and hope TWI figures out a sniper rifle would be a nice addition to the sharpshooter. It never hurts to question your peers. There should be more skeptics on both sides of this idea. TWI is pretty detached from it's customers... To all those who supported my thread, I thank you, and hope KF Calamity will be worthy of it's title.

I will not reply anymore to this post. Please, if you have gut-wrenching problem with me. Please privately message me so we may carry on the argument there. Thank you. I'm sure the Moderators and admins would be thankful for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ive met Robin so I wish you both his and your companies the best of luck with this endeavour. The concept looks fun, but Im afraid I dont play consoles... PC gaming is enough for me. Not even for a new KF experience :(

As for the game name Im sure youll get better names but off the top of my head:
Killing Floor: Legacy
KF: Survival
KF: Escape
KF: Horde

Obvious I know... :p

Upvote 0
It's odd, while I do support the idea of the OUYA, an affordable opensource console as an alternative to the expensive 'entertainment systems' of the big boys, this vitriol of the ones against it is surprisingly strong. Considering I dont' see any rabid fanboyism in support of it.

OK, it's cheap, which means quality wont all be there. But then how many xboxs redring? It's Android, open source but fractured (same problem linux has or had, it's better now then it was a few years ago). We should be supporting projects like this out of principle instead of supporting the practices of sony and especially microsoft.

Not to mention I've a created support thread for getting at least one decent weapon implemented. That never took off despite all the support I've gotten, even from people like you, and I have to thank you for it. I'm soon gonna remove my signature and hope TWI figures out a sniper rifle would be a nice addition to the sharpshooter. It never hurts to question your peers. There should be more skeptics on both sides of this idea. TWI is pretty detached from it's customers... To all those who supported my thread, I thank you, and hope KF Calamity will be worthy of it's title.
Amun Ra: This makes you sound like a petulant child dude.

"Waaa! No one listened to me! You suck! Hope you fail at everything."

If you've been on this board for any length of time you'll know how many new people come in, spout some rubbish then dissapear, if TWI reacted to everything they'd be no time for them and the game would be a mess. Also TWI were well aware of the support of the Hunting Rifle well before you ever came along they just were not able nor willing at the time to act on it.

And for the love of god, killing floor is 4 years old now at LEAST! Do you really think TWI is obligated to keep throwing money at it? Be grateful that TWI keeps supporting the way they do it instead of following the model of Activision or EA and killing it to produce a new shiney clone of it. (Oh and turning off the servers so you HAVE to buy the next one) Besides, I don't know how much capital TWI put into the the new game, but they didn't develop it, a 3rd party did.

Now I'm not trying to say TWI is a perfect dev, I've questioned half the choices they've made to KF for the last two years. Didn't like the DLC weapons at all (but supported their attempt to give back to the modders even if it was not done as well as I thought it should have been.) but in regards to supporting a new platform, especially an untested one and open source, they have my support. It's their money, not mine. Nor am I a investor or stockholder. Despite some mistakes TWI are still the one of the good guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Gregs2k2 & nd2spd
Wow. Talking about what I've done with your words, what are you doing with mine? I barely even wrote anything.
You go on quoting me and telling me I'm the bad guy.
Huh?
I'm soon gonna remove my signature
I was just thinking about adding it to mine...

"Why can't I have an opinion? I'm not going to reply to this thread (not going to read your opinion)" Is this correct? I'm confused.

We should be supporting projects like this out of principle instead of supporting the practices of sony and especially microsoft. +(the remainder of post)
Well put.

Perhaps we should have a separate thread in off-topic section to talk about the Ouya specifically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(Revised-Argument/opinion: What if, they actually dedicated some more time to KF itself for the PC platform? Ironing out the flaws, adding creative ideas, and more. But sorry, I just care enough to say that perhaps these other decisions like RO2 and Rising Storm could've defiantly detracted from improving Killing Floor. It doesn't take much to think about. Sure nobody is forcing me to buy it. Nobody is threatening me. It's completely optional. But can't I have a say in company affairs and hope they postpone such an idea to work on the original Killing Floor a little more? I hope it's not a crime..)

Ok, as stated elsewhere: this OUYA project is being built by Robin's team in Sweden. It doesn't distract us from base Killing Floor one little bit. As also stated elsewhere - we've got a bunch more surprises up our sleeve for KF, coming soon. We doing more than "a little more".

Upvote 0