• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design A Hold-Out style Community map

liamtranzig

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2015
St. Louis, Missouri
I am a really slow hobby mapper so when I throw this idea out there it is more with the dream that the concept entices you all (the mapping Community) than it being my own personal initiative and open invite.

I think it'd be fantastic to combine 10-11 great Community mappers (or a cross-over between TWI Mapping-overachievers and the Community) to make one Hold-Out style map with a general concept behind it: the Portal gun. The small areas could thereby be prepared separately without any real cohesion other than a blue exit and orange entry portal. An Aperture Science lab would of course be best for the starting player spawn.

I almost mentioned your Portal map myself, RockMax. But I decided not to name names of potential candidates.

Valve's Portal IP was used in KF1 to some extent but true- that doesn't mean it would be granted in a larger use in KF2.

Any Portal-like idea fits the Hold-Out style honestly. I also thought a Lovecraftian inter-dimensional theme with just swirling blue-green mists as the portals would work. "Lovecraftian" sets a tone though - madness, otherworldly, and generally dark. There are quite a few good Sanitarium levels that - were a section to be tailored, would fit perfectly to the theme & Hold-Out format. RockMax's Aslyum remaster, Sean Chaos & Vampcinda's 'Maw of Madness', Motormouth's OldWoodRoad, & -MGSa-Sniper's Abandoned Hospital all come to mind.

I also thought of making a "Worst Case Scenario" Hold-Out map in which all Official maps' most difficult holding grounds would be edited to fit the style. The Spawn level could be a Horzine VR Training room & the Boss chamber would be the same room only absolutely destroyed (opening new paths as well).

Upvote 0
Tripwire should do a small contest where we could submit small maps where the winners would be put together to form a Holdout map, that would be amazing. I love making maps but I don't have great succes with making big maps yet, as I tend to lose interest the larger it gets, and then just proceed with another project.. Making just a part of something great would be a really amazing opportunity.

Upvote 0