• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A hard decision...

bier

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
So hello dear Podium,

now you can hear my story of a painfull decision. I would have the chance to go to the new world aka the USA next year. But in my maybe backwards thinking i want to still continue the military tradition of my family with at least one of each generation in military. Now my father told me when he wanted to emigrate to Texas(which didn't work due to his pride and Carter's racist laws) he was in the National Guard while he was no US citizen, but he also said an american employer will always give you leave for National Guard duty which also speeds up your process to get US citizenship.

I am well aware now many people will attack my dream, but i hope some people will respond seriously.

It's certainly not backwards, as continuing a family tradition can be very honorable (especially military traditions). And yes, employers must always give military service members leave whenever required, and they must take them back. The same applies for colleges as well. Servicemen and women have a lot of benefits in the US. What your father said about becoming a citizen faster in the military is also true. You can get your citizenship in 2 years (I think, if someone could check me on that) while serving. I see so many pictures of troops officially becoming citizens while they are in Afghanistan fighting. It's a pretty cool thing.

I say go for it! It doesn't hurt to be a part of the world's most dominant and strongest military, and having a US citizenship will probably be quite convenient, too.

Upvote 0
Do what will make you happy, not for "honor" or "tradition". I served 4 years in the USAF while I was not a citizen of the US. I served, because that's something I always wanted to do, not because someone before me did it.

You cannot just quit the military once you are in, there are ways of getting out, but it is not easy. If you don't like the military life style, you will hate those 4 years of your life. So think real hard if this is something you want to commit to, do you really want to serve in the military. Which entails being told what to do, what to eat (at times), when to eat, where you can and cannot go (at times), deployments (which will most likely happen), etc, etc.

So again, do not go in the military just because someone else in your family did, serve in the military, because you really want to and you're ready to put up with all sorts of bull****.

Btw, I loved my time in, but there still was a lot of bull****.

Upvote 0
Do what will make you happy, not for "honor" or "tradition". I served 4 years in the USAF while I was not a citizen of the US. I served, because that's something I always wanted to do, not because someone before me did it.

You cannot just quit the military once you are in, there are ways of getting out, but it is not easy. If you don't like the military life style, you will hate those 4 years of your life. So think real hard if this is something you want to commit to, do you really want to serve in the military. Which entails being told what to do, what to eat (at times), when to eat, where you can and cannot go (at times), deployments (which will most likely happen), etc, etc.

So again, do not go in the military just because someone else in your family did, serve in the military, because you really want to and you're ready to put up with all sorts of bull****.

Btw, I loved my time in, but there still was a lot of bull****.

That is some great advice.
You do it for yourself and not for anyone else.

I would love to go to the army, but now being 29, having a stable job... it feels a little late... but my real reason for not joining is because I grown into a hippy mentality who distrusts all governments.

However I can always dream to change paths to becoming a pilot... I have flawless vision, perception skills and tolerance to gforce... (well now totally out of shape for it)

My options would have been Canadian army or IDF. I think I will stick to work, girlfriend and videogames.

Upvote 0
That is some great advice.
You do it for yourself and not for anyone else.

I would love to go to the army, but now being 29, having a stable job... it feels a little late... but my real reason for not joining is because I grown into a hippy mentality who distrusts all governments.

However I can always dream to change paths to becoming a pilot... I have flawless vision, perception skills and tolerance to gforce... (well now totally out of shape for it)

My options would have been Canadian army or IDF. I think I will stick to work, girlfriend and videogames.
29 is very young. You can get back into shape in no time. Now, if you're not going to believe in the cause if you are going to go fight, well, that is another story. :)

Upvote 0
I think the best possible advice in a situation like this, or one of any importance for that matter, is to NOT ask people of the internet. Period. Please, take my word for it.

Find someone you know really well who you feel comfortable talking to (in real life) and go from there. Good luck!

lawl. people on the internet can give you a good start of what you want. it was infact a guy on a forum that once mentioned the job I have today (and im lovin it). even tho when one is not secure on what he want to. he can still read what other say and filter out himself what he likes or not.

I would never chosen a thing out of, respect honour or tradition of others. because then you do it for someone else than yourself. I think it is important you find out what you want to do in your life, and make urself happy. afterall you are the person you are going to live with your entier life. everyone else you could just bail on and move to brazil if they are total idiots. (to put it on the edge)

I suggest you talk to someone that actually been in the military. and find out a bit more about it, and see if it is to your liking.

sidejoke: if you are a serial killer I suggest you sign up straight away. xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my honest opinion that's to old, they want young ppl for more than just their physical fitness.
It's never too old for the US Army unless you're 42 and older. There are plenty of jobs for people that aren't as physically fit as Rangers or something. 29 is not even close to old. A body is still incredibly young at 29 and you can get fit to Army standards in no time.

Upvote 0