• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A friendly advice/petition.

Gritty is a completely different word in conjunction with film and games. Quit making petty arguments to attack me.

28 days later - gritty, Sin City - gritty, True Grit - Gritty, etc etc.

Gritty is usually a synonym for dark, depressing, realistic, a little bit more realistic then other movies i.e. heads blowing the **** off in an explosion such as in Elysium

Now that were done playing Etymology lets get back to Killing Floor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know, no matter how much you try to rationalize and define all those terms, they will never match what KF Retail ever was or currently is.

Also forums is not games, you're welcome to go back to killing floor though, got to get those hours in.

It is, to some degree, it's just a nice word to describe Killing Floor, it's not exactly gritty in comparison to some films but none the less i think it fits the bill. Its even more pathetic to even attempt to say it isn't gritty, but you still keep attacking me lol, it's hilarious. I meant staying to the topic of Killing Floor. I'm not being passive aggressive or any of that ****, i see no reason for you to be.

Upvote 0
@kingjoker

If you don't like the petty arguments, why is that what you're responding to? :p Plenty of points have been made but you're now locking on to the semantic argument that you're dismissing anyway.

Anyways, it is clear people are divided on the matter. Hopefully there will be a compromise inKF2 . At any rate, with the amount if chickens I see, I think most people are like me and couldn't care less. The game is about being having solid gameplay. Atmosphere and tone are less vital.

Upvote 0
@kingjoker

If you don't like the petty arguments, why is that what you're responding to? :p Plenty of points have been made but you're now locking on to the semantic argument that you're dismissing anyway.

Anyways, it is clear people are divided on the matter. Hopefully there will be a compromise inKF2 . At any rate, with the amount if chickens I see, I think most people are like me and couldn't care less. The game is about being having solid gameplay. Atmosphere and tone are less vital.

I just want Sgt. Powers and my Foundry Work, and im mostly responding to it cos' im lonely. ****s for internet so i can't play Killing Floor online :|

Upvote 0
Not being facetious about this but I'm not 'against' or 'for' a gurdy KF2.All my point was that KF1 wasn't and continues to be not gritty.

However, if my position was clean stuff and not gritty, we're not getting that either, from the screenshots we've seen. It's a very specific art style. The lighting style is almost stylized in a comic-bookish way. And you know what? As I've said multiple times before, I look forward to it. TWI made the successor of KF1 and, I'm assuming, are doing it the way they want to. If they enjoy working on it, they'll enjoy continuously supporting it like their previous installment for years to come.

Upvote 0
Not being facetious about this but I'm not 'against' or 'for' a gurdy KF2.All my point was that KF1 wasn't and continues to be not gritty.

However, if my position was clean stuff and not gritty, we're not getting that either, from the screenshots we've seen. It's a very specific art style. The lighting style is almost stylized in a comic-bookish way. And you know what? As I've said multiple times before, I look forward to it. TWI made the successor of KF1 and, I'm assuming, are doing it the way they want to. If they enjoy working on it, they'll enjoy continuously supporting it like their previous installment for years to come.

Exactly it seemed like TW wanted to keep to its roots thats why im oh so excited ;D

Upvote 0
What's even weirder is that you think you know what we have planned already! :D
Well, looking at screenshots it looks like highly stylized lighting. Not girtty at all since things seem to be 'clean' and shiny when they're not covered in blood, which still doesn't look even look gritty either. Looks really interestingly stylized like something you'd see in Killer Is Dead but with bright colours and more... playful? lighting/shapes.

However, it would be odd you'd suggest that seeing those screenshots aren't enough... Are you implying the game I assume QA people get to try is not identical to the screenshots we've been shown? I know devs of any game like to CGI for the hype train, but is that what's happening here?

Upvote 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzXBSZgu8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baQBTWd49j4

Heres a video to help show what gritty is.

Use the word dingy, or dirty, gritty is not what you think it means when it involves games/movies :|

Not a lot of dirt you see? Gritty also doesnt necessarily need gore - though it's very much synonymous lol. horror films/games/sci-fi tends to always be classified as "gritty" because of the parallels with reality - the harshness - the GRIT.

Elysium, 28 days later/after, Sin City, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mean, it's obvious that these are parodies and also using the word gritty in jest, but you knew that.

Even your define gritty "as realism is exaggerated such that the culture or society being portrayed appears more coarse than it really is" or whatever, it's still not accurate to the screenshots.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...f3262c22ad33648b08.1920x1080.jpg?t=1399663462
http://i.imgur.com/Bv2S4JC.jpg
If anything is being exaggerated, it's not the realism, it's not the coarseness - it's the cartoonishness.

Upvote 0
I mean, it's obvious that these are parodies and also using the word gritty in jest, but you knew that.

Even your define gritty "as realism is exaggerated such that the culture or society being portrayed appears more coarse than it really is" or whatever, it's still not accurate to the screenshots.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...f3262c22ad33648b08.1920x1080.jpg?t=1399663462
http://i.imgur.com/Bv2S4JC.jpg
If anything is being exaggerated, it's not the realism, it's not the coarseness - it's the cartoonishness.

Hardly, even then cartoonish does not make something NOT gritty. The "parodies" (i think the dudes annoying as ****) were meant to potray a gritty twist to the games. Which apparently went over your head.

The gritty to killing floor would be the ****ed up situation your in with limited ammo and horrific creatures attacking you with some retarded humor, with skulls being broken apart and dismemberment. All of which confirmed. All of which could be "gritty," the black, white, and red ZED time, grit. etc. etc.

Anime can be gritty, CG can be gritty, and so on.

To clarify - Gritty is the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0