• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A fix for the shooting delay with the UT engine?!

extremepilot

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006
This is a follow up to my thread titled "What I hate about the UT Engine."
If anyone remembers I complained about a shooting delay with this game and also America's Army that not one else either noticed or cared about.

I stumbled on a post somewhere saying that QoS Packet Schedueler actually does more harm for some people than good. I disabled it and the delay that used to vary with every shot is now stabilized and minimized, but the delay is still noticeable with ping of 100+.

What you do to fix this is:

Go to Control Panel -> Network COnnections
Right click on your network connection and select properties
Select QoS Packet Schedueler and click Uninstall

It seemed to minimize the delay in America's Army as well. I hope anyone else who is exepriencing this lag finds this useful!

If anyone remembers I complained about a shooting delay with this game and also America's Army that not one else either noticed or cared about.

if your going to post anything to the public, like a forum post, you run the risk of people either liking, dis-liking, or not caring. you need to be prepared for that. If your not then you are in for a bitter time with the public. Whats worse is to make usumptions of what everyone else thinks. as an example, i read your previous post. i didnt reply as i have never expeirienced the delay your talking about and telling posters its just them is usually futile at best so i kept to myself.
im not typing this to piss you off, actually im trying to help curb you frustration. as i see the same frustration i had long ago.

hope it helps.

Upvote 0
I was having serious problems on my domain earlier. I disabled qos and it solved all my problems. The problem was that certain network transfers were limited to 0.5mbit. So my lan was slower than my internet.
The fact is, if you have less then 5-10 computers in your house, you have absolutelly no nead for qos, and will do more harm than good.

Upvote 0
Only the computer its disabled on, and mostly only for gaming, unless qos is causing some problems.

Well most of you might ask, what is qos?
Qos, is a packet scheduler. It sort of captures all packets, and sends them out in a different order. On better routers you can configure qos, and there should be some windows tools to do just that. But what does it do?
Well basicly you can set gaming packets, for ex. port 270015 for hl2 a high priority, and http port 80 a low priority. And then lets say, someone is downloading lots of files throu http, and you are playing css. Now if its configured properly, since hl2 is set with a higher priority in this example, qos will make sure all bandwith requirements for hl2 are fullfilled, before giving bandwith to the web downloads. Well this is how its supposed to work. In this situation you would still get a higher ping, but it wouldnt be unplayable like without a properly set up qos. Sort of.
Well lookie here if you want to know more
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_QualityofServiceQoS.htm

So why is qos bad, and why should I disable it?
Most people have 1 computer. Disable it, as you probably wont be downloading and playing at the same time, and naturally using qos means a higher ping, no matter what.
If you have 2 or more computers, still disabling it is a good option.
Why? Because QOS if not set up, will rougly give every application the same priority, so if users are not download at full speed at other computers in your network, it might still be a good idea to disable it.

Well all in all, disable it. You will most likely notice a better ping, if this is the case leave it off. You can just disable it on your computer, and the router if it has a qos scheduler. You can leave the other computers with it on, as it will limit their internet preformance, leaving you with more for gaming.

Disabling it will not break, or corrupt aplications, and you wont have to reinstall anything.

Upvote 0
That's very typical Microsoft IMO.
Windows is setup with compatibility in mind. IT is set up so it will function properly in the largest number of possible scenarios. In an enviroment, where there are many many computers, qos can be a very good thing to have. Altho what they didnt take into account that scenraios liike that are more likely to have a qualified technichian on hand, and have the knowledge to enable it, but they set it up so it will function the best in most situations. This is true for most operating systems as well. If you want to get the max out of your comp, you have to tweak your os to your present computer needs.

Upvote 0
Windows is setup with compatibility in mind. IT is set up so it will function properly in the largest number of possible scenarios. In an enviroment, where there are many many computers, qos can be a very good thing to have. Altho what they didnt take into account that scenraios liike that are more likely to have a qualified technichian on hand, and have the knowledge to enable it, but they set it up so it will function the best in most situations. This is true for most operating systems as well. If you want to get the max out of your comp, you have to tweak your os to your present computer needs.
Yeah Microsoft likes to start up/enable everything to cover the widest possible needs but alot of their programs do more harm than good IMO and only seem to serve to drain your resources in actual practice "just in case". What's that "file indexing" crap that starts automatically? Yeah the performance drain really pays off for the ZERO times I've required it's "service" *Disabled it LONG ago*

Upvote 0