• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few Questions....

Gregs2k2

Thank you please
  • Mar 21, 2009
    UK
    www.ragequitters.co.uk
    Hello TW.

Here are some questions; from my own head and from friends/other players:

- We have our own KF2 server. The EDARs are so-so popular with the people who play. Does TW have any plans to implement a server side option to disable them? It's quite a sought after feature.

- Are you planning on adding anymore layers to the player customisation system? i.e. gloves, boots?

- Will we see any additions/improvements to the weapon upgrade system with the next update? Care to share or should we just wait for the beta? ;)

- I love playing as Support. I also love welding doors. Welding feels a little redundant at the moment. Any plans to make more use of the Support's welder?

- You have weapon polls in place to bring back particular guns from KF1 or even completely new ones. Ever thought of a map poll? KF WestLondon is mine and my friend's most favourite map. We'd love to see the map revisited in KF2. Any chance?

- On the subject of West London; any thoughts on recreating the campaign from KF Mod? That would be amazing to see in KF2.

- Any news on whether the perk prestige system will be updated? Anything special planned?

- Nvidia RTX is now a thing. How difficult/time consuming would it be to add Raytracing to KF2? Would it be something TW would be interested in? Seriously!

- Would you consider adding an 'End of match podium', showing off the players who did well in each category (think Quake Champions). Would give you a chance to pose and enjoy the moment with your stats showing below.

- My macabre and gross side is coming out to play now... KF2 maps (save for a couple) seem very clean. Would be cool to see more bodies/limbs/blood/decimation on the map to give off a post-zed outbreak feel to them. I know we make our own blood in KF2 but would be awesome to see some maps with extra carnage in them.

- Like many, we have kick-vote disabled on our server, people just abuse it. Any plans on a re-work to make it a little fairer?

- Do you have any plans on adding a feature that caters for new players? Perhaps something along the lines of matchmaking lower perk levels to lower skilled servers?

- As an owner of KF: Incursion, I am most impressed with the gore. Although not as gratuitous as KF2's, I can't help but yearn for the gore to come into KF2. Seeing zeds with blood oozing out of severed arms would be awesome! Any scope to add this to KF2?

- Crawlers on walls/ceilings - will this ever happen? I know a lot of people have asked this question. ;)

- Any scope to have the consoles get involved with future betas? Or is this down to MS/Sony's certification processes?

That's all I can think of for now. Thank you!

Gregs2k2;n2324060 said:
    - Will we see any additions/improvements to the weapon upgrade system with the next update? Care to share or should we just wait for the beta? ;)

By no means I represent a TW official, despite the uproar in connection to slight broken balance, I track news feeds.

TWI_Molly (right nickname, I believe) replied on Steam boards upgrade system will go through complete revamp in Fall update.

Reactions: Gregs2k2
    Upvote 0
    Hi, thanks for the civil and constructive tone used when asking questions. It's greatly appreciated and goes a long way when wanting a discussion with us and other players.

- We have our own KF2 server. The EDARs are so-so popular with the people who play. Does TW have any plans to implement a server side option to disable them? It's quite a sought after feature.

The EDARs are still a bit mysterious. It hasn't been fully explained why we are seeing what looks like Domestic Assistant Robots running a muck. Though we have hinted that they have ties to something we've been working on for the future. We wanted to do a new zed that functioned differently. It's not the normal "take the head and end the zed" style. Another ranged zed was something requested and we agreed it would be an interesting addition. So we can see why they are quite a change for people. They are here to stay in Killing Floor verse, we'll continue to improve upon them with players input. No Plans to add a feature to opt out of them but there are mods on the workshop that would allow players to remove them as well as to do EDARs only.

- Are you planning on adding anymore layers to the player customisation system? i.e. gloves, boots?

We don't have anything in the works to add more, at this time. If this is something players make a big push for, we can look into it.

Not this upcoming October update but it's something we've been working towards for the winter update. I can't give any specifics right now. I'll edit something in later if I am able to share more. If you are talking balance tweaks I believe we have a few related to balancing out a few weapons.

- I love playing as Support. I also love welding doors. Welding feels a little redundant at the moment. Any plans to make more use of the Support's welder?

It's something we'd consider. Any specific ideas or requests on the subject?

- You have weapon polls in place to bring back particular guns from KF1 or even completely new ones. Ever thought of a map poll? KF WestLondon is mine and my friend's most favourite map. We'd love to see the map revisited in KF2. Any chance?

We've mentioned in the past we are aware of some fantastic KF1 maps in the workshop and encourage players that really wanted such poll to bring back some nostalgic maps in some form to push for it in forums and other places. We haven't said no to it. ;)

- On the subject of West London; any thoughts on recreating the campaign from KF Mod? That would be amazing to see in KF2.

That would be interesting! Personally, I think it would be best as a stand alone project to take advantage of all the potential there. If I could have my way it would be a VR game as well as the usual PC/ console game.

- Any news on whether the perk prestige system will be updated? Anything special planned?

We are continuing to add levels of prestige. This update brings another round of prestige and another tier of prestige weapon rewards to go with it. You may see a pattern here. ...Caulk and Burn, SG500, tier one weapons.

- Nvidia RTX is now a thing. How difficult/time consuming would it be to add Raytracing to KF2? Would it be something TW would be interested in? Seriously!

Raytracing is some exciting stuff. We'd need to investigate further and this would possibly be something that would be best implemented in a future game.

- Would you consider adding an 'End of match podium', showing off the players who did well in each category (think Quake Champions). Would give you a chance to pose and enjoy the moment with your stats showing below.

We're aware of players requests to have some additional ways to show off their skills. We have had a few ideas tossed around.

- My macabre and gross side is coming out to play now... KF2 maps (save for a couple) seem very clean. Would be cool to see more bodies/limbs/blood/decimation on the map to give off a post-zed outbreak feel to them. I know we make our own blood in KF2 but would be awesome to see some maps with extra carnage in them.

Hahaha. Well suggestion noted. Personally I loved all the dead elves, so I get where you're coming from.

- Like many, we have kick-vote disabled on our server, people just abuse it. Any plans on a re-work to make it a little fairer?

Making a voting system for kicking is tough. It needs to still allow responsible users to do what needs to be done while at the same time it may leave the system open to abuse. Server owners can chose to enable or disable it, they can set the number of vote necessary to pass, and I believe through ini a limit can be set to how many votes one can start per session. We are open to suggestions.

- Do you have any plans on adding a feature that caters for new players? Perhaps something along the lines of matchmaking lower perk levels to lower skilled servers?

We like players having the freedom to play difficulty levels at the perk they wish thus allowing communities, server owners, and players in lobbies to decide what's they prefer. Through mods, one can set such limit restrictions to their servers. We have a general guide to levels in the find a match/ match maker to let new players know what levels may be best for each difficulty.

- As an owner of KF: Incursion, I am most impressed with the gore. Although not as gratuitous as KF2's, I can't help but yearn for the gore to come into KF2. Seeing zeds with blood oozing out of severed arms would be awesome! Any scope to add this to KF2?

You want more Flex like gore without Flex? Or to beat zeds with a weapon made of their own limbs? Or both, cause why not? Noting this request too.

- Crawlers on walls/ceilings - will this ever happen? I know a lot of people have asked this question.

It's not likely something we'll see with KF2. Sadly, it was something we wanted badly too but had to move on from. For now, we have the vents for Crawlers and the smaller clots, the Cyst to crawl out.

- Any scope to have the consoles get involved with future betas? Or is this down to MS/Sony's certification processes?

Not currently and yes, the certification process would be playing a part in this.

Upvote 0
    Kittenmittens;n2324068 said:

Making a voting system for kicking is tough. It needs to still allow responsible users to do what needs to be done while at the same time it may leave the system open to abuse. Server owners can chose to enable or disable it, they can set the number of vote necessary to pass, and I believe through ini a limit can be set to how many votes one can start per session. We are open to suggestions.

From what I can tell looking through the SDK, there is a limit to players successfully vote kicked per session (2), but no limit on number of vote kicks that can be started (though there is a cooldown if one fails, 10 seconds by default looking through the configs; maybe this could be bumped up?). If I may suggest something here: put a hard (configurable) limit on how many times one can try to vote kick (default 2 or 3?) and track it per-player. Also, show who initiated the vote kick in the GUI/HUD. This would definitely help, but if Tripwire wanted to step it up and really smash vote kick abuse into the ground, IMO the best way would be to kick the player calling the vote kick once they have attempted but failed their limit of vote kicks.

On that note, I have a few questions of my own to add:
    • Although I'm personally OK with the weapon upgrade system, there are many players who don't like it or at least think it should be limited to Endless mode. I know that Tripwire originally intended the system to be Endless-only, but expanded it to Survival after testing it out there. Are there any plans to make this a server option? (Full disclosure: I have a mod on the Steam Workshop that gives servers/solo players the option to disable this feature.)
    • Are there any plans to have an update focused far more on bug-fixes/QoL/balance changes than on new content? Someone on the Killing Floor Discord suggested a "Spring Cleaning Update" which I think is a great idea.
    • Tripwire has suggested changing how the "Stand Your Ground" objective works in response to community feedback. If it's not in the upcoming Halloween update, can we at least get a "definite maybe" for the end of the year?
    • Although I'm nowhere near that level myself, many people have found HoE difficulty too easy and have been clamoring for something in vanilla KF2 to make Survival suitably difficult for them. Are there any specifics you can share on what Tripwire is considering for this, or is that still in the planning stages?

Upvote 0
    RawrUK;n2324082 said:
    A use for the welder could be repairing player armour. It wouldn't necessarily be overpowered if it would only repair whilst both players aren't moving. Just a thought.

Only like repping 30% would justify potential alt-fire function. Both ways, it encourages stronger teamwork (stands a top priority when expanding mechanics).

Reactions: Reclusiarch
    Upvote 0
    Personally, the door fatigue mechanic is what made welding doors something unappealing, what made it atractive back in KF 1 was a support welding one entry way shut while the rest killed zeds at the only other entry possible which created quite a nice bottleneck (West London Bank and Church for example). I used to be one of those support that checked the side door and kept it weld at the church in West London while killing zeds from time, I liked that. But now, if you insist on welding a door it will always break no matter what, even at 100% because of door fatigue. That means there's no good gathering point on any map if what makes it good is keeping any door weld shut.

Reactions: Bluntman420
    Upvote 0
    I really enjoyed reading the Q & A in this topic. :)

Edomaro;n2324090 said:
    Personally, the door fatigue mechanic is what made welding doors something unappealing, what made it atractive back in KF 1 was a support welding one entry way shut while the rest killed zeds at the only other entry possible which created quite a nice bottleneck (West London Bank and Church for example). I used to be one of those support that checked the side door and kept it weld at the church in West London while killing zeds from time, I liked that. But now, if you insist on welding a door it will always break no matter what, even at 100% because of door fatigue. That means there's no good gathering point on any map if what makes it good is keeping any door weld shut.

Yes, I have also mentioned wanting "door fatigue" to be removed. It's very disheartening to feel like you're doing your "job" as Support only to have the door collapse on you at nearly 100%. On higher difficulties it's also basically instant death lol.

Reactions: Bluntman420
    Upvote 0
    Showing door fatigue to the player in some manner would be nice. With better knowledge on how close the door is to being lost players can use the information to make better decisions regarding it. Perhaps door fatigue could be tied to the maximum weld percentage to this end.

In addition or separately, doors could enter a "reinforced" state when fully welded. In this state they could take reduced damage from zed attacks as a benefit but can no longer be welded further. If zed attacks reduce the maximum weld amount instead of the current, this state would get triggered at some point regardless of players trying to cheat the system by avoiding maximum weld in order to repair doors infinitely. The idea is you wouldn't need a player to babysit doors the entire wave instead of shooting zeds and you would still have a reliable method of slowing the horde down.

Upvote 0
    Totally agree on welding. I pretty much disregard welding doors for the most part and I feel that is a shame.

I also think the voting for a map to be re-made officially is a great idea, especially because of the long download times that comes with custom maps...but I'd understand if yall want to keep the maps new and fresh.

I also wonder if there is ever going to be an option to disable seeing your teammates' icons through the walls.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Being able to see door fatigue reflected as a stat like weld integrity as mentioned above would be a nice start.

Could I also suggest maybe having a way to repair destroyed doors? KF1 had doors respawn each wave but I understand the design philosophy correctly, KF2 doors are 1 time use to encourage utilizing the whole map.

What if players could spend Do$h to repair doors/door integrity during trader time(possibly a limited number of times)? Have a cost attached to it and/or lives as well for a compromise between KF1/KF2 systems. Could also have the dosh needed adjustable to give community/TW mappers another balancing tool. Think of it as emergency repairs/reinforcement.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    slavek;n2324209 said:
    Could I also suggest maybe having a way to repair destroyed doors? KF1 had doors respawn each wave but I understand the design philosophy correctly, KF2 doors are 1 time use to encourage utilizing the whole map.

This feature has been in KF2 for a while now, it's currently tied to Support Perk as a passive.

Upvote 0