• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A case for vehicles.

Armored vehicles on the US, ANZAC, ARVN side where all over the place. They where used often. But usually it was the unsexy APC. The NVA did have quite a lot of armor. It was not used all that much. Most often when it was used it was in areas where there where NO US or ARVN tanks. Smart yes? they ended up destroyed by artillery, air craft and sometimes by things like law rockets and M40 106mm recoiless rifles. They where used. But not all that often when the US was there. In the 1975 NVA offensive they ALL came out to play. Walked right over South Vietnam.

FOrget tanks. M113 and maybe M706 would be real interesting. Maybe give a PT76 for the NVA to show up with one thing that is better than the US side gets.

Upvote 0
well RO did have instances were tanks were used for infantry support and not tank on tank combat. that why you had the Anti tank rifle for infantry class or engineer class to blow satchels, Both sides have anti tank weapons to deal with it.

IE the RPG7 for the NVA/VC side, and the LAW and m40 recoiless rifles. So Light Pt76 tanks would not go on some sort of clubbing spree

even RPG7s PG7 heat warhead has quite enough power to penetrate and dstroy even a MBT like the M48A3 patton.

Reactions: morticore
Upvote 0
Let's be honest in here. The tanks or other vehicles are not included in RS2 because they didn't play a huge role in the portrayal of the war back then and now. It doesn't matter if it is a videogame, an article, a movie or in news. The helicopters and the jungle are a dominant picture.

And when we look at the resources of AMG/TWI, it even surprised me that they realized fully controllable helicopters for RS2. I mean.. if you look at the tanks of RO2 they feel very clunky, rushed and not included well at all compared to the infantry gameplay but they did a good job with the helicopters in RS2 so far in comparison. But the helicopters come with a lot of more work than tanks. They play a huge role in designing maps around them and optimizing the whole game. A larger role than tanks.

They decided not to include any tanks into the game because not many people will await them in a vietnam-videogame. Additionally, they would shift the focus away from the helicopters which many people will stare on a lot.

Not to mention even further map-design hurdles like dense jungle etc.

I understand the decision they've made. The rest of the game like the infantry gameplay and the helicopters wouldn't be that polished with tanks. Btw, many people asked for character customization which is a big thing too.

It's not about historical accuracy at all and it doesn't even matter if they've played a huge role in the actual war or not. It's a videogame after all and a company of limited budget needs to manage the content which is included into the game. And that's the result that we got right now. This doesn't mean we can't change it. RS2 seems to be modding friendly and maybe AMG can include some tanks with the help of the community, even though I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2280766 said:
Let's be honest in here. The tanks or other vehicles are not included in RS2 because they didn't play a huge role in the portrayal of the war back then and now. It doesn't matter if it is a videogame, an article, a movie or in news. The helicopters and the jungle are a dominant picture.

And when we look at the resources of AMG/TWI, it even surprised me that they realized fully controllable helicopters for RS2. I mean.. if you look at the tanks of RO2 they feel very clunky, rushed and not included well at all compared to the infantry gameplay but they did a good job with the helicopters in RS2 so far in comparison. But the helicopters come with a lot of more work than tanks. They play a huge role in designing maps around them and optimizing the whole game. A larger role than tanks.

They decided not to include any tanks into the game because not many people will await them in a vietnam-videogame. Additionally, they would shift the focus away from the helicopters which many people will stare on a lot.

Not to mention even further map-design hurdles like dense jungle etc.

I understand the decision they've made. The rest of the game like the infantry gameplay and the helicopters wouldn't be that polished with tanks. Btw, many people asked for character customization which is a big thing too.

It's not about historical accuracy at all and it doesn't even matter if they've played a huge role in the actual war or not. It's a videogame after all and a company of limited budget needs to manage the content which is included into the game. And that's the result that we got right now. This doesn't mean we can't change it. RS2 seems to be modding friendly and maybe AMG can include some tanks with the help of the community, even though I wouldn't bet on it.

i disagree the tanks were pretty much on a sim Level. excellently done especially considering the age of RO2.

Upvote 0