• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A better explaination of the zoom feature.

LHeureux

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Yes, another thread on this topic. Lots of people hate this feature while some love it. But I'm gonna give you an exemple of how it's realistic and why it's in-game.

Ok so here we have a picture of a river and some buildings at the distance. Here's is what a human would see, designed by the red lines.

In real-life you would see all that landscape, and even more! Because the human eyes can almost see up to ~170

Last edited:
hard to argue with you that it may be technically more realistic....but at the cost of gameplay? cant something that is realistic be left out just because its better for gameplay?

wanting that much realism is almost counter productive. what next? ... if we have to go #2, we have to take a **** outside with no toilet paper if your having bowel movements during gameplay? :eek:

^^^^ would technically be more realistic than crapping indoors...ijs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Read through most of the debates on the zoom thing and I've yet to see 2 things addressed:

1) I did not know tunnel vision was something our eyes could toggle on and off at will. In RO2 I can ADS and then zoom in and out at will?

2) Why can I zoom without using ADS? Do I have cybernetic eyes or something?

^^^^ this is exactly what i was wondering.

Reactions: THD
Upvote 0
Read through most of the debates on the zoom thing and I've yet to see 2 things addressed:

1) I did not know tunnel vision was something our eyes could toggle on and off at will. In RO2 I can ADS and then zoom in and out at will?

Read the OP. I'm not talking about cybernetics eyes here or tunnel vision bull****. And what is that ADS thing you're talking about? And yes in RO2 you can zoom in and out at will because as a human you would ALWAYS see zoomed in but with a bigger peripheral vision.

Upvote 0

1) So you're telling me what when you are focusing on a specific object in the distance, your eyes don't quickly adjust to bring those details into focus? If you quickly change focus, do your eyes not quickly readjust to the new target? If not, you may need your eyes checked.

2)

*Rolls his head across the keyboard*

You don't need to blur the edges of the screen, the zoom cuts WAY down on your peripheral in the first place.

And why should you need the butt of a gun jammed up your nose to be able to focus on a certain area?

It's merely zooming in so that you can see the details you could pick out in real life.

RTFT.

Upvote 0
hard to argue with you that it may be technically more realistic....but at the cost of gameplay? cant something that is realistic be left out just because its better for gameplay?

wanting that much realism is almost counter productive. what next? ... if we have to go #2, we have to take a **** outside with no toilet paper if your having bowel movements during gameplay? :eek:

^^^^ would technically be more realistic than crapping indoors...ijs

Oh don't be stupid. The game presents a realistic combat engine. If you want an unrealistic combat engine, there is a HUGE market of great games for you to chose from. RO2 is trying something different. Combat takes place at realistic ranges, with realistically modeled guns, and all in all tries to be as realistic as fighting a cloud of 1s and 0s can be with the current technology.

Upvote 0
ADS = aim down sight
Now I understand your point. You can "zoom" when you're not in the sight too because that's realistic I mean. It's not about cybernetics eyes.

The "zoom" should be called "Taking scales to normal human eye distinctions"

Because when you "zoom" you're just making the things appears as they would to a the human eye.

Reactions: Josef Nader
Upvote 0
1) So you're telling me what when you are focusing on a specific object in the distance, your eyes don't quickly adjust to bring those details into focus? If you quickly change focus, do your eyes not quickly readjust to the new target? If not, you may need your eyes checked.

I can try and focus at the cars across the street and no matter how hard I try or what object I have in my face, I cannot see them any more clearly than I could without trying to focus intently. In RO2 you can hit a button and zoom in and your target is magically clearer easier to see. Human eyes don't work this way, regardless of what you're looking at.

Reactions: vyyye and Poerisija
Upvote 0
Now I understand your point. You can "zoom" when you're not in the sight too because that's realistic I mean. It's not about cybernetics eyes.

The "zoom" should be called "Taking scales to normal human eye distinctions"

Because when you "zoom" you're just making the things appears as they would to a the human eye.

Exactly. I don't understand why this is so hard for you folks to wrap your head around.

Upvote 0
Here are some test screenshots I made. The zoom in perspective is actually the exact same perspective among all non-scoped weapons.

Attachments

• rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-00-67.jpg
    rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-00-67.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-10-59.jpg
    rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-10-59.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-48-17.jpg
    rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-48-17.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-54-01.jpg
    rogame 2011-09-04 19-56-54-01.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I can try and focus at the cars across the street and no matter how hard I try or what object I have in my face, I cannot see them any more clearly than I could without trying to focus intently. In RO2 you can hit a button and zoom in and your target is magically clearer easier to see. Human eyes don't work this way, regardless of what you're looking at.

Would you please read the thread? Look at all the pretty pictures OP has up there.

Your computer monitor has to represent your full vision scale, including peripheral, on a small 2D plane. It does this by zooming your view out so you can see more. Pressing the zoom key brings objects into NORMAL scale, the scale that you can see in real life, with full peripheral vision and everything. It is getting rid of the artificial peripheral that the computer has added in to prevent you from being oblivious.

It's overcoming the limitations of your computer hardware to provide a more realistic gaming experience.

Upvote 0