• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

92 points in Finland biggest Gaming oriented magazine!

Avenger said:
Well, maybe I'm behind the times (actually, I'm pretty sure that I am), because RO looks great to me. But then again, I haven't played Call of Duty 2 (nor am I going to).

Compared to games such as BF2, COD2, etc, the graphics are a tad old and lack some of the nifty things those games have. However, the quality of the maps and textures makes up for it.

ROOST looks gritty, hellish, and ugly, just the way war is supposed to. The aforementioned games look like playing with toy soldiers. The engine might be inferior, but I believe that the graphics themselves are superior.

Upvote 0
myzko said:
And of course the majority of the Finnish players will have problems playing the game and will yell "PERKELE VOI VITTU, VITTUN PELI SE EI TOIMI!" Then they will go drink some beer and sleep one off in the sauna, while it's on of course.:D

Lol, that sounds like my Finnish Girl Friend whilst I'm playing RO.. :)

Now for all those english speakers impressed with the Finnish Reviews, learning the language is not going to be an easy task for ya. As complex as Chinese. I have a few languages under my belt due to classical singing (German, French, Italian and exposed to Russian and Latin) but when I was exposed to Finnish it took me a year just to get used to hearing it.

Now where's that sauna, oh yeah, stolen by Sweden :p

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Actually, the Scandinavian seem relatively easy to learn to me.

There is no "Scandinavian" language. In fact, while swedish and norwegian have the same origins in germanic and latin as german, english, dutch and danish, finnish, just like hungarian, have their origins in Mongolian. So they work on a totally different system, which is really hard to learn.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
This I cannot understand. Why does anyone ***** about the graphics? What are they comparing it to?
They always list some cons along with pros, and honestly, "Graphics could be better" isn't 'bitching about the graphics'. As you could see they still took graphics only for what they are, and that didn't do **** to worsen the final score. Most people I've seen agree that the graphics in RO aren't quite state-of-the-art, but the game itself is golden and more than makes up for it. This is reflected in the review as well.

"WW2 shooters now have a new king!"

Nothing to add.

Upvote 0
Well having played a bit of BF2 and COD2, I can say a few things.

While the models may look decent in BF2, the colors to me are strickly cartoonish (like they stuck with 256 colors or something). So much in fact, the game was a turn off.

As far as COD2, I don't really think they are better. ROOST looks more detailed, grittier, everything. And COD2 looks worse after playing ROOST

Upvote 0
I must say this for all of you who are talking about languages. Estonian must be the closest language to Finnish. They have plenty of same words only meaning is other. These languages sound so much each other. Some Finns even use Estonian words mixed with Finnish words.

Example: Hello
Finnish= Terve
Estonian= Tere

Example: Welcome
Finnish= Tervetuloa
Estonian= Teretulemast

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
There is no "Scandinavian" language. In fact, while swedish and norwegian have the same origins in germanic and latin as german, english, dutch and danish, finnish, just like hungarian, have their origins in Mongolian. So they work on a totally different system, which is really hard to learn.
I meant to say "the Scandinavian languages. Swedish at least looks like Frysian quite a bit.

Tomcat_ha said:
I can savely say that Turkish is way more closely related to Finnish than Frysian is.
Don't really think so. How is Turkish related to Frysian?:confused:

EDIT: Actually, I think Norwegian is more closely to Frysian. "Ny" is "new" right?

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Actually, the Scandinavian seem relatively easy to learn to me. It sounds quite a bit like Frysian (the second language spoken in Holland).

Nice score. I hope Dutch magazines will review it as well.

Finnish aint a Scandinavian language, it's a ancient maya language (they actually have simliar words, I watched a program on dicovery.)

Upvote 0
This I cannot understand. Why does anyone ***** about the graphics? What are they comparing it to?

Actually, in the review the reviewer said that it has superior graphics considering the age of the engine, F.E. small details in characters etc.

However, UT 2.5 is OLD engine, so it has a point. RO has fine graphics but again, they could be better.

Finnish aint a Scandinavian language, it's a ancient maya language (they actually have simliar words, I watched a program on dicovery.)

Doesn

Upvote 0
Damn, almost all the RO: Ostfront copies in Finland are sold out. I bet the gaming stores were surprised by the popularity of the game since they're all out of stock. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, the people at the store promised it'll ship this week. :D

The Finnish language is part of the Finno-Ugric language tree (which is actually a branch of the Uralic language tree) which includes Finnish, Estonian, Karjala, Veps

Upvote 0
SS-Werner said:
Damn, almost all the RO: Ostfront copies in Finland are sold out. I bet the gaming stores were surprised by the popularity of the game since they're all out of stock. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, the people at the store promised it'll ship this week. :D
Actually, I assume the stores have only been selling copies unofficially imported from the US. The local copies aren't due onsale until the end of next week :)

Upvote 0
The grafix are a bit outdated if you compare them with games like call of duty 2. But this is only because of engine limitations. If you look at the overal quality of the maps and the textures then you can see that there went a lot of love in the making of this game.

Yesterday I had a friend come over. I showed him Roost. he is a fan of fast paced games like call of duty. But when he saw Roost, he was in love. He said the following:"Roost makes me feel like I am in a real war". Where have I heard that before....:D

Upvote 0