• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation 3d Rendering Software

AXEL

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2008
Ok so I've had enough making my own maps and now I want to create vehicles. I am currently using Maya PLE to make a Hetzer. But teh 3dbuzz tutorials pretty much suck. I'm used to working with Autocad and programs like that, and it would be much easier for me just to make a cube and chamfer off corners at the historically accurate angles (for instance the rear hull of the Hetzer is 15*) then to move around points with an image of a Hetzer in the background. So I guess my question is how does other software compare to Maya, user friendliness wise. Is Gmax well liked, it seems to look decent?

AXEL

Last edited:
Maya is teh pwn!

Everybody works after reference pictures nobody will measure the angles in game :p

well I've already got the angles available to me (http://www.achtungpanzer.com/hetzer.htm) and I cant find any reference pictures of the sides/front that are close to the same size for reference images to put into the panes. Also I have gmax as well and I am a bit more comfortable with it because it is easier to get the correct dimensions. But it would all be easier if I could just chamfer with a damn ANGLE, but alas I have not found out how.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know any other methods :eek:

jagdpanzer-hetzer.gif

The page has different reference pictures if you don't like these and they also explain how to set them up.
The main problem with less "popular" modeling programs is that you can't export the right file format (which you can't with the PLE at the moment because of lacking plugins).

Upvote 0
well if we don't currently have the plugins to export the models, is it impossible to use Maya PLE and I'll have to use Gmax or something else?

i can't find images of the side/front, all i can find are illustrations. I do have images of the correct camo used on the eastern front because it differed form the camo on the west front

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok so I've had enough making my own maps and now I want to create vehicles. I am currently using Maya PLE to make a Hetzer. But teh 3dbuzz tutorials pretty much suck. I'm used to working with Autocad and programs like that, and it would be much easier for me just to make a cube and chamfer off corners at the historically accurate angles (for instance the rear hull of the Hetzer is 15*) then to move around points with an image of a Hetzer in the background. So I guess my question is how does other software compare to Maya, user friendliness wise. Is Gmax well liked, it seems to look decent?

AXEL

Why does 3dbuzz suck? He is giving out the best free video tutorials on the net and has tons of stuff for Maya. I went to school for 3DS Max at Buzz's course at the Ren Center where he used to teach.

He's a good teacher and you won't find any better free tutorials on the net. So not sure what you are expecting to find if you don't like what 3DBuzz gives away for free, because no one else is giving anything better away.

As far as modeling software I personally can't stand Maya and 3DSmax has always ticked me off. I took some time away from 3D and I'm just getting back into it now.

I looked around and found Modo and I'm loving it so far. It's the best and fastest modeler I've used yet and has a built in paint tool like zbrush. It's a dam nice system but is lacking proper animation tools at this point. However for both modeling and texturing it's great.

Upvote 0