• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation 3D Feather Model

I'm sure someone could make one, probably easier to find one, and export it into 3DS Max & import it into the SDK.
Out of curiosity though, what do you need it for?

I searched extensively last night for a free feather that I could open with 3DS Max, but the few I found were non compatible formats (.C4D .3ds), I think I have a talented Modeler that is working on one now. I want to have the model for a particle System, like blowing leaves / paper.

Upvote 0
A coupla polys (literally 2) with an opacity mask would do the trick. Not really a model, as it is mainly texture work making a good looking 2-sided material. For particles you want to keep the polycount as low as possible.

Well you would need a damn good normal map and for that you would need a high poly feather first then crunch it down to 2-3 polys to get the normal map.

Upvote 0
A HUGE Thanks to Postamenos12 for whipping these up and even testing them in game!

:IS2::IS2:

Low Polys too!

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I killed a 6 pack last night trying to save a tga with an alpha channel. Im using Photoshop CS 6. It cant be that hard? Does 32 bit tga automatically have the alpha or is it 2 images?

LOL, been there ;)

In PS under the Layers window (F7), there's a "Channels" tab. You have to add a channel. PS should label it "Alpha" after the RGB's above. AFAIK, has to be 32 bit to save the alpha. You can cut-n-paste a grayscale image or edit it like a Layer. Black is 100% transparent, white 100% opaque.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL, been there ;)

In PS under the Layers window (F7), there's a "Channels" tab. You have to add a channel. PS should label it "Alpha" after the RGB's above. AFAIK, has to be 32 bit to save the alpha. You can cut-n-paste a grayscale image or edit it like a Layer. Black is 100% transparent, white 100% opaque.

Ok will give it another go tonight, thanks

Upvote 0