• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

3D Feather Model

nymets1104

Dec 18, 2012
USA
I'm sure someone could make one, probably easier to find one, and export it into 3DS Max & import it into the SDK.
Out of curiosity though, what do you need it for?
I searched extensively last night for a free feather that I could open with 3DS Max, but the few I found were non compatible formats (.C4D .3ds), I think I have a talented Modeler that is working on one now. I want to have the model for a particle System, like blowing leaves / paper.

Twrecks

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
A coupla polys (literally 2) with an opacity mask would do the trick. Not really a model, as it is mainly texture work making a good looking 2-sided material. For particles you want to keep the polycount as low as possible.

Lemonater47

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
A coupla polys (literally 2) with an opacity mask would do the trick. Not really a model, as it is mainly texture work making a good looking 2-sided material. For particles you want to keep the polycount as low as possible.

Well you would need a damn good normal map and for that you would need a high poly feather first then crunch it down to 2-3 polys to get the normal map.

nymets1104

Dec 18, 2012
USA

This sounds like a nice easy solution, thanks!

Twrecks

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
That was fast, and 2 polys to boot!

IMO, need to soften the transparency around the edges. A TGA image with embedded alpha channel would work best as the base texture, if it isn't already :D

nymets1104

Dec 18, 2012
USA
I killed a 6 pack last night trying to save a tga with an alpha channel. Im using Photoshop CS 6. It cant be that hard? Does 32 bit tga automatically have the alpha or is it 2 images?

Last edited:

Twrecks

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
I killed a 6 pack last night trying to save a tga with an alpha channel. Im using Photoshop CS 6. It cant be that hard? Does 32 bit tga automatically have the alpha or is it 2 images?
LOL, been there ;)

In PS under the Layers window (F7), there's a "Channels" tab. You have to add a channel. PS should label it "Alpha" after the RGB's above. AFAIK, has to be 32 bit to save the alpha. You can cut-n-paste a grayscale image or edit it like a Layer. Black is 100% transparent, white 100% opaque.

Last edited:

nymets1104

Dec 18, 2012
USA
LOL, been there ;)

In PS under the Layers window (F7), there's a "Channels" tab. You have to add a channel. PS should label it "Alpha" after the RGB's above. AFAIK, has to be 32 bit to save the alpha. You can cut-n-paste a grayscale image or edit it like a Layer. Black is 100% transparent, white 100% opaque.
Ok will give it another go tonight, thanks