• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

30th Anniversary of Apple's Macintosh Computer

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
It was $2,500 U.S. for a Macintosh in 1984.

That's probably, in today's money, between $4,000 to $5,000.

I remember asking my Old Man to buy one for me; didn't get it.:(

In 1984, Apple next launched the Macintosh. Its debut was announced by the now famous $1.5 million television commercial "1984". It was directed by Ridley Scott and was aired during the third quarter of Super Bowl XVIII on January 22, 1984.[42] It is now hailed as a watershed event for Apple's success[43] and a "masterpiece".[44][45]

I remember seeing the commercial; it's perhaps the greatest commercial in the history of American advertising and was the genesis of the great advertising blitz that the Superbowl became:

Apple Macintosh

Last edited:
These 2 comments sum it up:
"The funniest thing about the concept of that commercial... the Screen is Apple. And the crowd is there customer base." Jason Congdon

"I find this very ironic how back then Apple wanted to break people free from being a mindless computer drone. Then, fast forward to today and now Apple has created just that. The mindless drones who jump when apple says jump. And who buy when apple says "new and shiny". Stupid isheep." Ian Stubbs

Upvote 0