• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

25 July 2013: Updated Forum Rules - PLEASE READ

We have been through a process of updating the Tripwire Interactive Forum Rules to make them even more clear than they have been in the past. This is primarily to address behaviors that we don't want to see on our forums, where people are indulging in personal (written) attacks on each other.

The updated forums rules are always available to read: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/announcement.php?f=72&a=1

I strongly advise people to go and read them. They will be applied whether you read them or not - all forum-goers will receive this message to make the point.

Why this?

Why this?

This is primarily to address behaviors that we don't want to see on our forums, where people are indulging in personal (written) attacks on each other.

Well, was this so necessary? I mean... DAMN! Why do people have to act like this? They have to be reminded that they cannot hurt people in any way possible -.- it's just a shame, a real shame ...
I hope this warning does what it is supposed to do!

Cheers

Upvote 0
This is primarily to address behaviors that we don't want to see on our forums, where people are indulging in personal (written) attacks on each other.

Well, was this so necessary? I mean... DAMN! Why do people have to act like this? They have to be reminded that they cannot hurt people in any way possible -.- it's just a shame, a real shame ...
I hope this warning does what it is supposed to do!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, which sub-forum is the most major reason for updating the rules to what they now are?

No idea - we weren't doing any specific count. Just noticing that some people were unable to disagree with other forum users, the moderators or staff without getting spiteful.

So please all disagree nicely :)

Upvote 0
A question on one of the "banned" items.

A question on one of the "banned" items.

Firstly,
Hi, I'm brand new, so i have no idea what's been going on in the forums. Based on the changes, it sounds like they were needed.

I like the tone of the rules, too - down-to-earth, no Lawyer babble, a human actually wrote this.

I also like the bit where it says that TWI guys actually read the forums.

To my point:
at the bottom of the announcement is this:
5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis

What's wrong or racist about the fasces? it's a symbol of "Strength in Unity" - I didn't think it had any real negative connotations. I am wondering if instead you may have meant "faeces"?

I couldn't see myself referring to the fasces anyway - I only play KF, I haven't tried RO - but I was just curious when I saw that.

Another observation:
I find the Dark Red colour against the grey to be quite difficult to distinguish/read. Might I suggest that another colour should be used? the orange that I used above seems to work well. Or possibly the TWI beige?

Thanks to TWI for KF. I have a new favourite game.

Upvote 0
<Calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies">, that's pretty interesting. From all I know, and what can be found in any XXth century history book, all Soviets were communists. Of course word "commie" is considered offensive, but this rule isn't about that, it's about unjustified generalization and calling all Soviets communists is certainly not that. Please consider rephrasing, because right now it's just silly.
Also, I would risk an opinion that "Soviet symbolism" is considered more offensive in Central and Eastern Europe, where Soviets murdered millions, than in USA.

Upvote 0
<Calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies">, that's pretty interesting. From all I know, and what can be found in any XXth century history book, all Soviets were communists. Of course word "commie" is considered offensive, but this rule isn't about that, it's about unjustified generalization and calling all Soviets communists is certainly not that. Please consider rephrasing, because right now it's just silly.
Also, I would risk an opinion that "Soviet symbolism" is considered more offensive in Central and Eastern Europe, where Soviets murdered millions, than in USA.

To be picky: "Soviets" refers to all those citizens of the (now-defunct) USSR. At peak, around 10-20% were actual members of the communist party. The rest were just "under communist rule". Which means that the majority of Soviet citizens (referred to as "Soviets") weren't "communists". Hence the distinction.

And yes, "Soviet symbolism" is probably offensive to many in Central/Eastern Europe too.

You see the dangers of generalizing :) ?

Upvote 0
To be picky: "Soviets" refers to all those citizens of the (now-defunct) USSR. At peak, around 10-20% were actual members of the communist party. The rest were just "under communist rule". Which means that the majority of Soviet citizens (referred to as "Soviets") weren't "communists". Hence the distinction.

And yes, "Soviet symbolism" is probably offensive to many in Central/Eastern Europe too.

You see the dangers of generalizing :) ?

Someone knows history. Many Russians and Eastern Europeans really do not like communism.

Upvote 0
I have two questions.
What is cross-posting and is it okay to link to other forums on the twi website?
Thanks.
It is perfectly fine to link to anywhere else on the web - so long as what you are linking to doesn't break our rules. Classic example from the past - butt-heads linking from our forums to neo-nazi bollox, telling people to go and read their truth.

Upvote 0
I think the main problem with symbolism(use of symbols) is realy hard to define and I find the rules "don't use this sort of icons" too brief.

Because on the one hand you have the liberty of expression and at a certain mesure, liberty of interpretation and on the other hand you have of course history events where abominations were commit.

For example you can take the Svastika which was used by Nazi party during the WWII but the fact is that Svastika is also a religious symbol of indouism that you could found many century before the WWII and represent the God ganesh or some ideas like the eternity.

If you go to India today you will find many svastika on many buldings and if you don't know what it means you could feel a bit disconfort with that while it's just a symbol of peace for all Indian.

Regarding that I don't think that symbolism is a problem but mostly what people make with it and what ideas they want to share by using it.

So I think we have to find some sort of way in a sentence to explain that you condamn the purpose of using some symbole but not the simple use of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Swastika where also used by ancient Hellenes. Hammer and Sickles where used by all the ancient Hellenic City States.

Swastikas can be found all over the world actually, in any place where civilizations that used geometric shapes and patterns existed.

I do not think it as matter of symbols, rather it is a matter of law. In some countries, everything used by Nazis and/or Communists is illegal.

A forum, even a forum about historical video games, can be seen as "exposing" people to illegal/hate-promoting content. and some people might even think that these ideologies are promoted... Go figure...
Unfortunately many people believe that a symbol is "evil". For me there are only good and evil deeds.

Just look at actors who portrayed Nazis. Where they turned in a magical way into Nazis?
But many people believe that this can actually happen!

So TWI has to keep its customers, and because the customers from countries with anti-Nazi/Communist laws visit these same forums, these forums should accommodate them in my opinion.

As for the freedom or religion, religious symbols and preaching should also not bet allowed. This is a forum to contact fellow players and developers of video games, not spread your religious beliefs.

Upvote 0