• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

128 player matches at all possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine is limited, I'm guessing its technically possible, but I think the servers would burn, and there should also be maps specially made for 128 players (we all know what happened in Ostfront when you play 50 player matches in maps designed for 32)

My guessing, this would have to wait for RO3.

qft, RO OST was a blast for a bit with the increased player count, however many of the maps became unplayable or imballanced with the extra players. I'd hate to see that happen a second time around.

Upvote 0
I remember years ago(32 slots only) asking if they could up the limit to 50, and some jerk off told me that it was impossible because of the net code. he then berated me for even asking the question. I hope that douche-bag is still around and is seeing where Ostfront went and where HOS is going. I don't mind the bigger servers, but some maps were not optimized well of course.

The twerp.:IS2:

Reactions: Mikeedude
Upvote 0
TBH even if it was possible, I shiver at the sight of 128 player RO battles.

Obviously if they did exist you'd have to have new maps made just for them. But massive battles like this kind of go against what RO has always been about at its core -- small(er) scaled, tactical infantry battles.

I could see all of that break down pretty damn fast with so many people.

Upvote 0
I revel at the idea of witnessing a 64-men strong bayonet charge from the relative safety of being behind a well positioned heavy machine-gun, looking through the iron sights...
Oh the decadent man-slaughter, the forceful delivery of swift and brutal death to those poor -but brave- virtual souls impetuously charging to their doom, ripe to be mowed down with machine precision...

Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
128 should be possible

Its 2011....we had 128 player games 10 years ago. We have a 256 player shooting game on the console.

-

Everyone has better internet connections now than they did then. Technology has improved. Not declined.

-

Whilst games have become more demanding I seriously doubt, unless its down to really bad programming =p, that its impossible.

----

Strain on the server? get a better server! Magic. People have done this for years and years. Buy big flashy servers for people to play "over the limit"

I hope the game is not HARD limited to 64 and will allow for more even if it is unfeasable. If the game is unplayable with 349078309578 players then people won't play it with 349078309578.

People are not that stupid!

----

If the game runs good at 64 players and not at 65 players. People will not play on 65 player servers.

If the maps are too stupid for 900 players. then people will not play on those servers

----

Your dealing with the PC crowd neeeow! Were a bit smarter =)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is possible to do a 128 player server as the mod yoshiro linked showed, and apparently after reading those comments apparently the next update is 1024 player servers, 1024 player battles in RO anyone? :D (Off-topic: even though 1024 player servers would be amazing and epic it just wouldn't work in RO)

It should be possible to make an 128 player server then in RO, the only problem be would is if the server can handle it, well if the server is powerful enough the person is running then I don't really think it would be a problem even if the maps were designed for 64 players. I played 64 players in cod4 and those maps were not meant for that lol and it was still amazing to play.

So we just basically have to wait and see if someone who is going to be running a very powerful server is going to try and get a 128 player server running and then test it to see if it is stable. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.