• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

10 second rule

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
In short:

if you die inside cap zone and if your team take it in next 10 seconds (after you die there) than you take full score for that as team members which cap it.

Reason:

Lot of times I hold positions, and than suddenly grenade hit me, than team cap it and I got nothing ...

Other possible benefits:
1. It will improve interest to cap something, not too much but anything more is better
2. Its not that hard to code it

Lot of times I hold positions, and than suddenly grenade hit me, than team cap it and I got nothing ...

yeah, especially when it's a grenade from a friendly that kills you :rolleyes:

i'd also approve of (and expect that it's already or WILL be implemented) a points system that incorporates how much of an impact you made when capturing an objective....should reflect both making kills inside the capzone and time spent holding your ground inside the capzone.

Upvote 0
I think this is fair.

Maybe the system could also work this way: you get points for every 5 seconds you stay in the capzone.
This way you would also get points if you get killed before your team capps it.
would be better if you got very small fractions of a point that you could build up into at least a couple points over a round. Think medic healing in tf2, you get some points for healing but each individual point healed is about 1/600 of a point, so someone that finishes off the last second of a cap (or starts capping, then has to leave to fend off the defenders from outside the taped area) gets at least something for their efforts :cool:

Upvote 0
i agree.

For RO I wanted to see attackers get credit for partically capping as well defenders get credit for holding and regaining control.
I remember when it was discussed thinking it should be something like-

10 pts for the cap if you were present for the majority ie. before the half way mark. Also 10 if the cap is made within x seconds of you being there for the majority ( this could be dying like you say or even pushing forward from the cap zone when it is clear your team is going to take it)
Only 5 pts if you jump in for the last half.

Defenders get 10 points if they regain complete control from a majority lost position, and 5 points if the attackers hadn't reached the half way mark.

So it's a bit like rewarding more in proportion to your actual efforts, and i think it's good that defenders are recognised with points for actually defending, rather than allowing and objective to fall and then retaking it (which is the only point award RO has for defense)

Upvote 0
From what I've heard, you will get points for killing enemies who are in the cap zone. Not sure if you gets points if you are in cap zone and kill people who are outside cap.

Love this idea though. I always hated holding down a cap point by myself for minutes at a time, killing off the enemy and then finally having my team get to the cap, only for me to die after all my bravery. (hence my name)

Upvote 0
lots of pointwhores ;p
I don't think it's so much about point whoring, but about how it changes the gameplay in public servers.

A system like the OP suggested would motivate players, who actually do care about points, to play in a way that is more useful for their team.

In games where you need to cap zones it's often very annoying to play with random public players, who just sit outside the cap zone waiting for you to do all the hard work and then just jump in at the end. It's not so much about them stealing the "fame and glory", but about the fact that our team would have been able to cap the zone much faster, if said players would have been more motivated to help out.

So in my book, anything that can give players this motivation, is a good thing.

Upvote 0
Nice idea, for once :D :p, PeterPants :)

I think this is fair.
Maybe the system could also work this way: you get points for every 5 seconds you stay in the capzone.
This way you would also get points if you get killed before your team capps it.

This would just encourage ppl to camp in cap being just there to cap and not to defend it cuz they would have a risk to die.
This would be abused. In clan matches, i f u just camp in capzone doing nothing or not pushing forward into the cap/entrance of the cap ure a dead man after the grenade wave launch. A good player would push even outside of the cap so that his team mates can enter the cap safely and cap it fast.

No points for camping pls :( even if its in a capzone. Points for capping an objective, even if u die like 5 secs before its capped like PP suggests it, is enough.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0