• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Search results

1. M

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

divine, Try this. Make two spawns with the same name but place new player spawns one at a time, sticking one in the one location and the next in the other and so on. I'm not sure if that worked, but I remember dealing with a similar situation like you mention and finding a way to do it. Not...
  2. M

Level Design Which Mod Maps had Usable Mortars and Parachuting

You can grab a version of Tali-Ihantala here: http://www.lucidraven.com/andrew/RO-Tali-Ihantala_b2.rar I'm not sure what version of my map that is. But it SHOULD have the mortars in it. If it doesn't lemme know and I'll dig up another version. I have them somewhere. Monk
  3. M

Level Design Foggy RO map

Too bad maps are hard to convert from the mod directly. You should try RO-Rueckzug from the mod if you have it. I hate to say I made it (it was slapped together pretty fast), but the fog was pretty decent I thought. Monk
  4. M

Level Design My map idea/question about low lying fog

Heh, sorry Ghad. It's been so long I'd have to do some major research to figure it out. It's all about alpha layers and the way that Unreal organizes etc. So the short of the solution is you have to muck around with some crazy settings using final blends or the like until you find a...
  5. M

Level Design fully destructable map?

Yes. But as mentioned it will be a lag festival. So don't do it. =) Monk
  6. M

Level Design Convoy

There are some limitations to using vehicles as objectives but it can be done. I did a map for the mod based on this which didn't see light because I didn't finish it before the mod basically died. I may redo it for Ost sometime but I don't have time right now. It is kinda cool though - the...
  7. M

Level Design My map idea/question about low lying fog

Yes, Monk rules! That guy should make some maps for RO:Ost. Oh, yeah, low lying fog can be done all the ways WP said. I tried them all. Best I found was a mixture of many pieces and the performance hit in Rueckzug is pretty much zero. The thing about parts disappearing can be resolved. I...
  8. M

Level Design "Phases within a map" - a Map Idea

Much better to make it four maps like WP said. You can even make it force specific map loads given specific victory conditions. PCs just can't handle huge maps with tons and tons of detail so you'd be wasting time making a giant map with all the scenarios in it when you could have 4 really...
  9. M

Use of CM as a simulation/reference

Just as a note, there isn't anything calculated real time. That's why in between each of the 60 second "turns" there is a period where the computer calculates what will happen over the next 60 second period. But anyhow, to answer the original question...I don't think I'd use CMBB or anything...
  10. M

Level Design what kind of hours are you guys putting in?

The fastest map I ever built for RO that was decent was about 40 hours and that's after having built so many maps that I knew the toolset pretty well. But yeah...you're looking at about 2 months of multiple hours every day if you're going to do something that is pretty decent sized. People...
  11. M

Beta Map RO-Mga_b1

Yeah...redirrect should cut the file size down a ton and be a lot faster to boot. Silly if it's not setup. =) Monk
  12. M

Beta Map RO-Mga_b1

If MGA is WickedPenguins map then it's probably worth the 30 megs. Unreal does weird stuff with map file sizes when you have a lot of custom stuff in them. Monk
  13. M

Level Design mapping question..

Mike, the video tutorials are great, but you can also learn a lot by just looking at the maps that come with RO. Just be sure not to save any changes to them. =) To answer your question though outdoor maps are basically a giant subtracted cube that you add stuff to. First being the terrain...
  14. M

It's sad, really...

Once again you've cut out a ton of servers that may have only 1 bot. Those with bots that wait until players show up before leaving load up bots at level changes too before people connect so you lose even full servers while the players load the level etc. But I guess if people leave over...
  15. M

Level Design Will it be hard?

I hated UED compared to Hammer. Still do. =) But I like RO more than any Hammer based games...so I guess to each his own. But anyhow, to answer your question yes it is hard...and no its not programming based so much. Almost all of mapping is graphical other than setting up some basic parts...
  16. M

Level Design Make Something Infantry Contest

If all you bastards from the SO join I'll kill you. Really, I might. =) Don't tempt me into a 4th map! *runs away to cry* Monk
  17. M

Finding cooperative tankers more easily ingame

I'll give it a whirl fellas. Haven't had too much of a problem yet though since I'm usually ok with driving so long as the gunner will listen to what I'm telling them...lol. Nothing worse than a gunner who ignores the fact that you just told them where an enemy is to scan the horizon with the...
  18. M

Squad Clan names, tags and war crimes

Nice. Any chance you have one for Russia as well? =) Monk
  19. M

Squad Clan names, tags and war crimes

I'm totally cool with the guidelines set here by the TW team. One suggestion though that might be of some use... Wilsonam, any chance you've got a nice list of good unit names that you could post up here so people had some nice choices for clans when they show up? I'd personally love to see...
  20. M

First Impressions

Heh, nice machine...can't imagine why you don't have any load problems...lol. Anyhow, glad you're enjoying RO so far. Hopefully your first online games are on good servers with solid teamwork. Most of my experiences have been great since the retail release, but once in a while you get a bum...