• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Search results

1. Slyk

Level Design We need a Overhead map tutorial

Harder. Much harder. There will be far fewer custom maps, at least of quality than in RO:OST.
  2. Slyk

Level Design slit trenches and other terrain-based fortifications

Rant: UE Terrain Sucks Donkey A$$ Two terrains work fine IF you don't want trench works all over the map. The 2nd terrain is only really effective if it is in small enough an area to keep the vertice points close together to get the desire effect. Note in Basovka that the trench walls are...
  3. Slyk

Level Design RO2-PIChaikovskii Vehicle only objective in RO2 map design

I'll try to help out a bit. In RO:OST we developed some code and models very late in the 'life' of that game. An exmaple is this map, which I don't think I ever released in beta_2+ http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=24863 Also, there is a package of 'Search & Destroy'...
  4. Slyk

Anti-tank guns

After years of mod work, including dozens of vehicles for several games, I am just stating the facts for folks out there that do assume too much. ;) Not saying it is you, specifically, generalized commentary for the public.
  5. Slyk

Anti-tank guns

Fact is, most people who ask/think such things should be done are clueless about what it takes to make the models, code them, animate them, and most of all animate all the player models to work with mobile guns. It is just not worth it nor practical. Furthermore, how many players are going to...
  6. Slyk

Beach landings.

No. Not at all. Not even a concept. Figure of speech. Ultimately players will just to to suck it up and wait to see what is released. There are infinite scenarios to choose from and that choice drives the start position for both sides among all the other factors.
  7. Slyk

Online replication of particle effects.

If you want to stir me up, talk about allowing grass to be turned off... that ruined DH for me on many maps. I'm in favor of forcing foliage at every turn, even if that means we reduce the 'fancy-ness' of the foliage like moving in the breeze, etc. Many time foliage is a cover element in a...
  8. Slyk

Stationary tanks.

We did this in RO with a version of the KV2. That used a new object with disabled engine etc. Definitely possible if a modern wants to do it.
  9. Slyk

The battle you would most like to see represented in RS

Why would it be a 'copy'? Any map that was set in virtually any other game would then be considered a copy. I have complete confidence that if we did a Wake design, it would far out class anything BF:1942 did. Not even close to the same game for one and we would not necessarily do the entire...
  10. Slyk

Alternative to rienforcements

Should be merged with Zets topic in General Discussion... 1. Add penalty time to the guy who dies to quickly, figure out a scale where the faster you die the more time is added to the next spawn wave for you. Figure a normal life span, for example: two minutes, then increment down from there...
  11. Slyk

if reinforcement pools stay shared among your team.

Two suggestions/tweaks to the idea: 1. Limited number of spawns per role. This puts a premium on support roles, such as MGs surviving and of SLs taking care of themselves and having team member support each others positions. 2. Penalty spawns. The faster you die/the shorter your life, the...
  12. Slyk

iwo jima mutiplayer map

And who is to say the entire RS project is not all set on Iwo... it is certainly large enough, features a number of varied terrains, and several major tactical approaches, including the heavy use of armor and artillery.
  13. Slyk

Japanese Anti Tank Weapons

I think the 'suicide' attack is a legitimate option. The team would have to figure out if the loss of reinforcements was worth the potential time it would buy them, especially if it could mean taking out a critical weapon like an MG or vehicle, etc. As the fighting would get desperate near the...
  14. Slyk

Spider Holes

Do not underestimate the power of the force....
  15. Slyk

Mounted guns confirmed?

Randomly spawned positions tied to objectives/spawns would be most practical. Crew served weapons would be awesome but maybe not so dependable in an average mp environment.
  16. Slyk

Japanese Anti Tank Weapons

Any legitimate weapon is on the table, what makes the final cut is another story as there is a lot of model, code, and animation work to go with each option. The fact that the Japanese had a variety of these sort of weapons makes it a unique perspective as well, most often costing the soldier...
  17. Slyk

Airplanes?

Short answer: "No". Longer answer: "Only as decorations. Flight/flyable aircraft are not feasible.".
  18. Slyk

Movable field guns?

Yep, that was our idea. One guy is the commander, one the gunner, then each slot filled, depending on the gun, would contribute extra power/speed to move the gun faster. Once positioned, or pivoted, etc, the other guys can detach and provide some fire support. Ideally this would only be...
  19. Slyk

Movable field guns?

We thought about trying this in the After-Hourz vehicle pack for RO but in the end it was not worth the time and effort. Also, the majority of maps at the time wouldn't have gained much from them in a direct fire mode. Mortars would be far more valuable if I were to choose between the two. AT...
  20. Slyk

Some suggestions on tanks

That's about a billion hours of development time on that list. Too many variants of each vehicle as well, best to focus on one. ;) Most of the T and BT series tanks were destroyed by the time Stalingrad happened. I do believe at least one BT-7 is documented in some of the factory fighting...