• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade variants, perk upgrades for classes, and online vs mode

Nothsa

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 8, 2024
I think giving each class alternate unlock-able and/or purchasable(in-game trader) grenades would help define a classes play-style in a way that presents options while still fitting the main format the class provides. Like giving the berserker a stim that provides 25% less damage received for 5 secs instead of a grenade would promote the head on gameplay the class was made to play. Thats only an example but i think something like this could make for fun and interesting play-styles. As for the perks 2 options per 5 level is a great format the in trader is a thing so maybe giving us an option to buy in game upgrades with dosh between rounds to make our perks more effective(lasting for the game)would be a great addition like the firebugs floor fire increasing 25% per level increased (each perk maxes out at a certain number of upgrades for balance reasons of course) of course these are all just my opinions/suggestions on things i would consider fun. Lastly i think adding a VS gamemode where teams prior to playing games can turn on this setting(in the same place as difficulty and game length)and a single player can queue up for those hosts w/ the matchmaking option enabled to join and play as the final boss at the end of their game/waves they could join during the last wave to pick their character to play as or maybe its random. This would give single players a fun alternative to praying through a short wave game it’s another quick play option and a game mode that doesn’t change the vibe the game has of chaos and mayhem.

Upvote 0
One has to remember that grenades are fairly cheap and you can have as many (or as little, depending on perspective) as 5 at any given time. Every ammo box also gives you one extra grenade. All of this means that grenades (or consumables, as you seem to propose) should remain balanced. Great to have in a pinch, and especially rewarding if you can use them well. But still fairly limited in their usefulness. The one idea you mention (taking 25% less damage for 5 sec) sounds alright. It's a very short-term boost, that fits the perk too. But I'm curious as to what you could give to the other eight perks (assuming all of them gets ported to KF3). But I'm a bit queasy about helping people kite endlessly even more...

Perk upgrades sounds like what the Upgrade system was meant to be, only for them to never look back once they introduced the very basic "get more powerful weapons as the cost of weight". I'm not FULLY against it, but I'm still a strong believer that it might dilute the identity of most weapons. Assuming you're talking about perks ONLY (so passives tailored to your character more so than your arsenal), I'm a bit more reserved still. Skills and passives are already filling that role, and I'm afraid that it would make high-leveled players even more powerful, to the point of steamrolling the game. I believe it should take a cue from KF2's very basic upgrade system, and slap a balancing nerf in addition to the upgrade. To go back to your example : ok, you choose to do 25% more damage with your ground fire... But in return, your fire resistance is also nerfed, meaning you're more likely to hurt yourself from your own flames as a result.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about regarding the "VS" mode however... From what I gathered, it would be some sort of "loading screen" before joining a lobby? You would then have a player taking the role of any given boss, against a team of survivors/mercenaries? I mean... Yeah, that does sound like a way to make waiting for a match a bit more fun, and bring back the unloved Versus mode into the fray. But considering a huge part of what makes Killing Floor interesting (and the last wave in particular) is teaming up against a super tough opponent in order to defeat him... I wouldn't feel too giddy being booted off to join my match right before I land the killing blow !

Upvote 0