• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The most important thing KF3 needs...

I don't know man... That's wishful thinking at that point. DLCs have been a thing for fifteen years by now, and even though we had quite a few stuff to spice up that formula (the dreadful lootboxes, and the somewhat better season passes), I don't think we'll see big games releasing all their content for free anytime soon.

I think the least bad option would be to be able to grind for everything should you wish to do so. And be able to pay if you want to unlock everything straight up.

Should they include some sort of season pass, I do believe that, indeed, everything should be permanent. I really don't like those games were "you had to be there". But these seem to be quite rare though.

Upvote 0
I don't know man... That's wishful thinking at that point. DLCs have been a thing for fifteen years by now, and even though we had quite a few stuff to spice up that formula (the dreadful lootboxes, and the somewhat better season passes), I don't think we'll see big games releasing all their content for free anytime soon.

I think the least bad option would be to be able to grind for everything should you wish to do so. And be able to pay if you want to unlock everything straight up.

Should they include some sort of season pass, I do believe that, indeed, everything should be permanent. I really don't like those games were "you had to be there". But these seem to be quite rare though.
Made the premium perks then, not only weapons.

Upvote 0
Aside from me disliking DLC as a concept, there's no big issue with paid weapons as long as they don't remain flat upgrades or dumb the game down immensely. I would prefer everything be base-game and just unlocked as you completed challenges, but that ship has sailed since the days of the PS2, and no amount of my boomer grousing is going to make that come back.

KF2 definitely had issues with the latter, but not as much of the former. The game isn't nearly hard enough to need paid weapons to win, and most of the people good enough to win without paid weapons already play on custom difficulty servers that ban the aforementioned weapons (and some perks).

Made the premium perks then, not only weapons.
As annoying as having to pay for weapons is, paid perks would be arguably worse. With that, you don't have to just consider how broken individual weapons could be, you have to deal with the balance of entire paid perk kits.

Vermintide 2 does this with their premium careers, and I should note that the careers themselves are a $5 USD premium and then there are separate skins for those careers themselves that are also separate DLC. So that's DLC for the DLC, all totaling about $13. Yuck.
The other problem there is that the paid careers in Vermintide 2 have been, shall we say, hit-or-miss balance-wise. Sister of the Thorn was infamously brokenly good on release and has been nerfed multiple times to just be "really good." Bardin's Outcast Engineer career was considered to be clunky and not worth the effort due to how his kit clashed with the rest of the game's meta, but was superbuffed recently to be a grenade-launcher-and-minigun-wielding menace to go along with printing bombs (a normally limited resource) in a game originally focused around melee (and his melee capabilities aren't that bad).

And leaving aside the mechanical aspect of that design choice...can you imagine the outcry if, for example, Berserker was paid DLC? Or they brought back Martial Artist but as a paid kit? The sheer incandescent rage resulting from the casual playerbase could replace solar as an infinitely renewable energy source, and if that perk wound up being really good but locked behind a paywall, the devs would never hear the end of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd sum it up by saying that, as a rule of thumb, anything that changes gameplay mechanics in multiplayer games should be given for free, or at least BE AVAILABLE for free, even if you have to grind for it. That way, you save up on the difficult dilemma of either having powerful weapons that give an edge to people who throw more money... or having mediocre options that don't incentivize people to buy in the first place.

Sure, Killing Floor is pretty much fully PvE (outside of that Versus mode nobody plays), but it's still a little obnoxious to have another player have access to a weapon potentially better than yours simply because he threw an extra few bucks at the game. Even though, as Onion put it, it's still entirely possible to perform very well without having a single DLC weapon in your arsenal.

(Speaking of which... Dude, I cannot wait to discuss KF3 and its mechanics with you in the future, assuming you'll still be around !)

Last edited:
Reactions: Glokage
Upvote 0
I'll prefer a battle pass system over anything such as surprise mechanics... I mean loot boxes, paid DLC map packs, or the questionable weapon's DLC. This allows any weapon added after release to be acquired by everyone for free through progression, or challenges if the battle pass season has already passed. Thus, avoiding the issue of P2W or FOMO of any game changing mechanics. If anyone wants to spend $10-$20 for cosmetics within the battle pass so be it if it makes players satisfied. If anyone want any cosmetics within any battle pass season that has passed, I believe it should be unlock through challenges or individual purchase after some time passed since the ending of said battle pass season. Although there will be an argument of why purchasing battle passes in the first place when it can be unlocked later on through other means.

Overall, I have mixed feelings regarding to battle pass systems, but its better than any alternatives we’ve had in the past. This can better fund any content TW decides to added for KF3 than the paid DLCs we had for KF2. Which could provide better quality content update later on in the lifecycle.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
I do hope some weapons don't disturb the gameplay of the entire match and affect other classes so much.

Some examples:

Sentinel, nice way to kill trash so the comando can't extend time if they put that drone close to you, enrage some zeds and be super annoying by how loud it sounds.
HRG Bombardier, this cursed thing, it has more ammo than any demo arsenal, little damage and makes everything jump everywere.
HRG Ballistic Bouncer, push zeds, trow them and does high damage, sk and fleshpound get rekt very fast, wasn't this the jobs of the demo, sharp or gunsl. ?
HRG Incision, the convenience of rail gun with an un-rage boost, why? taking the job of a sharp.
HRG Medic Missile, same as above, taking the job of a demo.
HRG Locust, this is like the HRG Ballistic Bouncer, waay to much damage for a perk class that should't exist.
Riot Shield it can tank like a berserker, why?. It should protect against normal zeds only.

The lootbox system should dissapear, already have 1 million pijamas and face paints it took years to get some of the cosmetics i wanted, no way i'm paying the value of a game for a weapon or accesory, $5 ? really? they make like 1000 per week, barely any effort those should cost like $0.1. Whish we could buy those with the dosh per match.

Upvote 0
I would try partially playable NFTs for weapons and armor. Because the introduction of extremely rare skins and weapons whose chance of dropping increases immeasurably with the increase in prestige level would result in extreme addiction potential and achieve horrendous prices on the Steam market. So every DLC for all possible skins that you get immediately could also contain other playable NFTs that would justify an increased price.

Upvote 0
I would try partially playable NFTs for weapons and armor. Because the introduction of extremely rare skins and weapons whose chance of dropping increases immeasurably with the increase in prestige level would result in extreme addiction potential and achieve horrendous prices on the Steam market. So every DLC for all possible skins that you get immediately could also contain other playable NFTs that would justify an increased price.
NFTs have been memed to death. So much so that you'd be hard-pressed to find your average gamer being interested in them in the first place. Hell : they've been dunked on so much that I still don't even know what their perks are... outside of having something "unique" (and even that uniqueness is debatable in some cases)

It does remind me a little of the various, seemingly limitless designs you can get out of custom paints in Team Fortress 2. A single paint job can get many, MANY variants. So much so that no two weapons are ever truly the same, even with the same paint applied to them. I still believe it's kind of a "gadget" in a way, and worse yet : a way to artificially increase the rarity of an item. TF2's economy could warrant some pretty deep studies on its own honestly, and I haven't even talked about unusuals yet... With so many cosmetics, and so many effects currently in the game, in addition to how rare getting an unusual is to begin with, most combinations are unique, making the actual value of such items somewhat "up in the air", depending solely on how much people are willing to pay or willing to sell. Because when an item is unique... How could you truly estimate its value?

I'm sorry if it comes up as poorly informed, or dangerously simplified... It's probably because it is ! I'm not very knowledgeable about economics outside of the very basics, and I've always felt that trying to get rich out of a video game rather than simply playing and enjoying the hell out of it is a little desperate and sad. But hey... as long as it doesn't affect me and my gameplay, it's mostly fine really ! But I'd rather have Tripwire focusing on updating the game and adding some new content for everyone, rather than turning KF3 into an open market.

Upvote 0
would result in extreme addiction potential and achieve horrendous prices on the Steam market.
NFT gags aside, I legitimately cannot tell if you're actually advocating for or against the idea, because everything in your post is phrased like a horror story for players/customers who just want to play the game.

To cut my post short, we don't need a repeat of "Team Fortress 2's eight-thousand-dollar flaming M. Bison hats, but worse" deal.

But I'd rather have Tripwire focusing on updating the game and adding some new content for everyone, rather than turning KF3 into an open market.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How could you truly estimate its value?
A rare skin is nothing more than a rare skin, you're right, but a nice skin in a nice color that I know that only I have and that it took a lot of playing time and luck and that underlines my prestige rank creates in the player an emotional connection that can be valued by its value in breaking away from it. a nice and sweet gimmick that you have to experiment with if you want to sell a DLC at least once, for me personally that would actually be the only reason to buy a DLC because after every boss kill you have hope and think it's coming! If you're not unlucky then there's nothing else in the lottery but then at least you'll have a ticket xD

Upvote 0