• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are the berserker, demolitionist and support weapons the only good weapons on Survivalist?

Bender the Offender

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2023
As the title asks. Are the weapons from berserker, demolitionist and support class the only weapons that are good on Survivalist? If anything, Survivalist is probably better at using some of the demo weapons and then demo themselves (looking at you M32 grenade launcher).

- Firebugs weapons are literally the equivalent of using a off perk weapon with any other class, so they suck. Made worse by the fact many Firebug weapons can't do a quick headshot kill, so you're forced to deplete the enemies entire lifebar.
- Gunslinger and Sharpshooter weapons are very close to the bottom only being beaten by Firebug. You can reload their guns fast, and that's it. Rack em Up and any headshot bonus skill is completely absent, and the guns shortcomings are very apparent.
- SWAT and Commando weapons lack any of the magazine extension capabilities, so they're bad too. However with Zed-plosion and the level 25 skills, they can be kind of decent if you use them solely for low level enemies. Well outside the Sentinel drone. That's the one Commando weapon that's still good on Survivalist.
- Medic weapons never really had much damage upgrades to begin with, so I guess they're pretty indifferent to Survivalist since passive weapon damage makes up for Battle Surgeon. Though actually getting bonuses for healing teammates is badly missed.

This leaves solely the berserker, demolitionist and support class weapons. Berserker and Demolitionist are the only classes that has any sort of weapon upgrade from the Survivalist. Support don't have any buffs, but Support weapons are powerful enough not to be hindered and the quick reload for Support and demo are under the same skill.

Even the Survivalists' own weapons are pretty trash now. I do not even need to touch upon how crap both the Reducto Ray and HRG Locust has became since so many people kept on complaining about both weapon to the point Reducto Ray is only good at being a waste of space and dosh now and Locust can be replaced by a P90 SMG. Freezethrower sucks because enemies unfreeze before you can even switch to another weapon to try and kill them. Does anyone have anything good to say about the Killerwatt? Arc Generator I guess has novelty if you want to chain lightning enemies, but that's pretty much it.

Basically Survivalist is still the crap class outside if you want to have fun using the M32 grenade launcher.

I believe it mostly showcases how powerful and even necessary some skills are for their perks. The firebug is an absolute powerhouse, but it mostly comes from ground fire and zedsplosion. Remove those two skills and the firebug because much weaker. Both the Sharp and GS are great at nuking zeds... But without their fantastic Rack'Em Up skill (and some added passives), they just aren't as great at taking down zeds quickly.

And well, truth be told... It was bound to happen for a perk meant to be a jack-of-all-trades. Which not only should be weaker by design, but ends up sticking like a sore thumb in a game where perks are a huge component of game design. Even in other games that have some sort of "all-rounder" classes, like the Soldier in TF2 or Soldier 76 in Overwatch... Those cannot do EVERYTHING. TF2's soldier cannot replace a Spy, Medic or Engineer. And Soldier 76 cannot outmatch the healing of the wide array of healers available in Overwatch... while its health won't overshadow any tank anytime soon.

Meanwhile, the Survivalist in KF2 isn't simply a perk that can do "a little bit of everything", and that very clearly shows in its design : you still have to commit to a playstyle! Both level 5 skills split your arsenal in half, while there's only one skill truly dedicated to melee combat... The fact that you can pick every and any weapon available is also pretty tough to balance out. Even if TF2's soldier can become a pick class (thanks to the direct hit!) and be a great team player with the use of banners (sorta acting as "mini ubercharges"), all those tools are available to him ONLY. The Survivalist will suffers from the comparison considering the bulk of its arsenal is borrowed from other perks...

I still believe the Surv is dangerously powerful all in all. It's tough to kill and has access to some pretty damaging options. But I must admit that I pretty much never play the perk at all precisely for the fact that it's too diluted. And whenever I do, I tend to go for the weapons uniquely available to it. So I cannot really say which weapons are objectively better for its playstyle.

Upvote 0
I find the recoil unmanageable for the left sided weapons of the first skill. 20 pounds of demo weapons (and a hemoclobber) combined with stun grenades is my jack-of-all-trades loadout.

20 weight is a must for me. Some people prefer the left hand lvl 20 skill solely due to the healing grenades, but those can easily by replaced by buying a HMTech-501 grenade rifle. Which is actually twice as powerful as a regular medic grenade.

Though I find P90 on Survivalist very good. Never had a issue with recoil on that weapon as a Survivalist.

Upvote 0
20 weight is a must for me. Some people prefer the left hand lvl 20 skill solely due to the healing grenades, but those can easily by replaced by buying a HMTech-501 grenade rifle. Which is actually twice as powerful as a regular medic grenade.
"Easily replaced"

The HMTech-501 is TEN TIMES more expensive than fully restocking on medic grenades, but yeah sure. It also takes up 8kg but that's pretty much the same as healing grenades right?

Man, how do you manage to even say such things?

Upvote 0