• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The 10 Rules All Snipers Must Follow by The Red Sniper Himself, Vassili Zaitsev

For all who do not know, (may you be educated soon,) Vassili Zaitsev was the greatest Soviet sniper of the War. On his first day in Stalingrad he killed forty Germans. His total kill count was two hundred and twenty five, portrayed by Jude Law in Enemy At The Gates.

This are his Golden Rules.

1. Do not create a basecamp or fixed positions.
A sniper is a nomad. You must pop up where least expected. Never remain long in one position: it might be observed.

2. Be meticulous about gathering intelligence.
Where, when, and under what circumstances are our own soldiers being killed by enemy snipers? Then reconnoitre the ground and work out how the enemy snipers may be operating.

3. Work closely with ordinary soldiers deployed nearby.
They can provide intelligence, decoys, and distractions. They have awareness of events around them.

4. Always use a trench periscope for scouting and surveillance.
Never assume it is safe to expose yourself to gather intelligence. Always assume apparent quiet harbours danger. Work slowly, cautiously, and methodically. The successful sniper ‘measures seven times and cuts once’.

5. When you must expose yourself, you should expose the barest minimum, be totally camouflaged, and as still as possible.
Lie like a stone and merely observe. Aim to be completely invisible, even to the trained eye.

6. Yours is a war of nerves, concentration, and endurance.
Create distractions, exasperate him with diversionary movements, and exhaust his ability to concentrate.

7. Use a dummy close to your own position.
The dummy is designed to draw the attention and fire of an enemy sniper, so that he reveals his position.

8. Alternatively, allow the enemy sniper to get used to a dummy until he becomes careless about it.
Then take its position, and get the enemy sniper in your cross-hairs.

9. Do not fire until you are absolutely certain of a kill.
If you fire without a clear target, you reveal your own position.

10. Everything depends upon exhaustive intelligence, meticulous preparation, careful attention to detail, and endless patience.
Impatience is death.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I hope nobody here takes Zaitsev's advise when they're playing Marksman in RO. You'll be a waste of a player. :p

Well I usualy play like this as a Sniper and I allways get preety good results.
One of the best things you can do as a Sniper is camp in a medium sized area that is controlled by the enemy.
Something I do a lot is go for one of the 'towers' (since the building is literally broken in 2 halves) in Pavlov's House.
I usualy hold up the 2 top floors of the tower and pick off advancing Germans.
They don't see me most of the time because I stay hidden in the shadows and don't move and am usualy behind something solid.
Something you have to train is firing and then not moving for a few seconds, as in : Fire - wait a few seconds - lie down & bolt rifle - crouch walk slowly and then run (when you are out of sight of possible enemies) into a new position.

Just by doing what I said above I once managed to kill over 40 Germans in 1 round in Pavlov's House.
Be carefull tough, as going behind enemy lines can very frequently result in you getting a friendly bullet in you and dieing.

Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
In before someone tells us we play as Marksmen, not Snipers...

I use some sniper tactics when I can manage to be a marksman. Mainly I avoid resting my rifle in windows, because that's just silly. Looking for enemy muzzle flashes is good too.

I remember on Fallen Fighters I was a Soviet sniper and hidden in one of our buildings. Across the square, in the German buildings, I saw a quick little flash in one of the windows shrouded in darkness. I fired where I saw it and was rewarded with a confirmation a few seconds later. Good times :)

Upvote 0
The anti-snipers guide

The anti-snipers guide

1. Do not create a basecamp or fixed positions.
Snipers are nomads and have no mates. Camping incessantly just makes people aware of your inability to fulfil any other function.
2. Be meticulous about gathering intelligence.
Seriously, who gives a **** as long as i get my kill???
3. Work closely with ordinary soldiers deployed nearby.
See point 1.

Always use a trench periscope for scouting and surveillance.
No, it's more fun to silhouette myself on a ridge.

5. When you must expose yourself, you should expose the barest minimum, be totally camouflaged, and as still as possible.
See point 4.
6. Yours is a war of nerves, concentration, and endurance.
No, it's mostly 15 minutes spent as far away from the cap as possible til my ammunition runs out.
7. Use a dummy close to your own position.
Yes, i hope a productive player gets shot instead.
8. Alternatively, allow the enemy sniper to get used to a dummy until he becomes careless about it.
How would i know, i'm too busy picking off people at spawn
9. Do not fire until you are absolutely certain of a kill.
Whatever...
10. Everything depends upon exhaustive intelligence, meticulous preparation, careful attention to detail, and endless patience.
Until I respawn in 30 seconds

Last edited:
Upvote 0
11. Don't pick off anything useful like MGs, just go for easy kills to rack up your own points.

12. Don't try to support your team mates as they cap by taking down any oncoming enemies, just go for easy kills to rack up your own points.

13. Call yourself Zaitsev in game because, you know, no one else has ever done that in the history of RO. Oh, and just go for easy kills to rack up your own points.

Upvote 0
vassili zaitsev was not the greatest sniper of the soviet union

this was

pavlichenko1.jpg

Upvote 0
Too bad Simo Hayha didn't have any "Golden Rules", I'd rather take his advice as he stomped all over the best Soviet snipers.

Well one rule he had was to prefer using iron sights over a scope. And now with the huge zoom in RO2 we can do this also! The size of the maps combined with the iron sight zoom means I find the scope a disadvantage over a normal bolt action for almost everything.

But on the other hand... the sniper does get a pistol. Mmmmm, pistol ;)

Upvote 0