• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Opening the Controls causes a FREEZE

Humam2104

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2020
Category: Code, 2d art, 3d art, animation, level design, environmental art, emitter, other
Reproducibility: Always
Summary: Game Freezes when opening Controls using a controller
Description: Game Freezes when opening Controls using a controller, opening the controls with a mouse click is perfectly working. But opening it with a controller crashes the game. It's noteworthy that Deleting the KFInput.ini file fixes this issue.
I do have changed controls (Changed some keyboard buttons to others). So I'm not using the default controls that come with the game.
I tried previously to delete KFInput.ini, the problem went away but came back again now

Last edited:
Try deleting your configs. I tried to reproduce this and can't. If deleting your configs and making sure they are not set to read only doesn't work, is there anything else you can share to help find a reproduction? I tried on pc using a controller.
Is there a way to attach a log file that shows this? maybe I'll attach the faulty kfinput.ini because whenever I delete it everything works fine

Upvote 0
It happened again, the ini file is attached.
I do have 6 custom bindings. And that's pretty much it\
(I changed the file extension to txt instead of ini to be able to attach it here)
Please note that the crash happens ONLY IN GAME!! If you open the controls using a controller. if you open it with a keyboard and change the controller sensitivity works fine but sometimes doesn't (xbox one controller plugged in)
Update: A youtube video showing the issue

Attachments

• KFInput.txt
    80 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the crash happen when you remove custom bindings? Did you delete try deleting all the KF2 configs as suggested? I tried playing using an Xbox one controller and while in game could get to options and change the controller sensitivity and return to the game and other options again without crashing. I am unsure how to reproduce this.
For crashes:
If the crashes you are experiencing have resulted in a BugSplat, providing the email you associated with those reports may help us further investigate this issue (you can DM this). Furthermore, uploading the Launch.log from your ...\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Logs directory as well as generating a DxDiag would be quite helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the crash happen when you remove custom bindings? Did you delete try deleting all the KF2 configs as suggested? I tried playing using an Xbox one controller and while in game could get to options and change the controller sensitivity and return to the game and other options again without crashing. I am unsure how to reproduce this.
For crashes:
If the crashes you are experiencing have resulted in a BugSplat, providing the email you associated with those reports may help us further investigate this issue (you can DM this). Furthermore, uploading the Launch.log from your ...\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Logs directory as well as generating a DxDiag would be quite helpful.
Deleting the KFInput.ini fizes the issue.. and deleting all my key bindings (regular and custom ones) seems to fix the issue as I can't find out which one causes the problem.
Also, the issue doesn't cause a bugsplat. Therefore I'm not sure if the logs will be helpful?
I will post them anyways as well as the dxdiag

Upvote 0
I think the issue might be related to the custom bindings for some reason.. whenever I use them this happens. I stopped using them for a while and the game worked fine.. I added them recently and these issues started happening (I added them using the console command):
setbind home "Say Scrake Down"

Upvote 0
I think the issue might be related to the custom bindings for some reason.. whenever I use them this happens. I stopped using them for a while and the game worked fine.. I added them recently and these issues started happening (I added them using the console command):
setbind home "Say Scrake Down"
Thanks for trying it. The logs and dxdiag will be appreciated to go along with these additional details for a report.

Upvote 0
Here is two of the files that had a crash. I doubt it's gonna help
launch.txt is a freeze on the main menu. And the other Launch-backup file is a crash while in game.
Also, I've reset the controls and REMOVED ALL THE CUSTOM BINDINGS. the kfinput.ini file is attached.

Attachments

• Launch-backup-2021.05.22-05.17.52.txt
    447 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 0
  • KFInput.txt
    78.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DxDiag.txt
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
So to confirm, Launch txt is the log with the freeze/ crash in the control settings while going to options from main menu and and the launch back up has the freeze/ crash while getting to the controls in options while in game? And this ini is from before you cleared your custom stuff? But recently you cleared your custom stuff from the ...Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2folder and no longer have the issue?

Upvote 0
But recently you cleared your custom stuff from the ...Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2folder and no longer have the issue?
Yes, I tried to clear my custom bindings, and the issue persists. And yes clearing the folder will probably solve it but deleting KFInput.ini is enough.
Launch txt is the log with the freeze/ crash in the control settings while going to options from main menu and and the launch back up has the freeze/ crash while getting to the controls in options while in game?
Exactly

Upvote 0
Here's a video showing more details to the problem:
I've managed to locate which section creates the problem, which is the Iron Sights (Hold) option. When this key is changed from blank to RMB the freeze happens (again, it only happens if I access the controls from the joystick and not with a press of a mouse or a joystick)
1705799273964.png
So to confirm, Launch txt is the log with the freeze/ crash in the control settings while going to options from main menu and and the launch back up has the freeze/ crash while getting to the controls in options while in game? And this ini is from before you cleared your custom stuff? But recently you cleared your custom stuff from the ...Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2folder and no longer have the issue?
I hope this helps locate the issue behind this bug

Upvote 0