• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zed-spawning needs some work?

Galslacht

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Hi, I did not know where to put this, the ''general discussion'' seemed the most appropriate for me:

Just here to say this: on KF Manor when all the players are all camping in the cave creating a shootingalley only a few zeds will spawn and move behind the players.

I think there is a inconsistency here, since

- there is an opening in the back of the cave meant for crawlers, no crawlers ever spawn there
- too small amount of zeds use the left and right back entrance, let alone spawn there. This makes KF-Manor one of the most easy maps in the game. I do not think this was intended.
-same kind of problem exists on for example KF-bioticslab, KF-Biohazard, and more

Deficient and non-logical (from a mapmaker kind of view) spawning of Zeds still perpetuate on other maps also. Could you take a small look into this? I suppose it only involves the type of work you need to do as similar to balancing the game.

Reactions: HalfDemon
What you're talking about is just one specific map, spawn quality / challenge depends on the given map.

As for the caves in Manor, that hole you think is for crawlers actually used to be for all Zeds, but it led to a map exploit where players could get out there then walk on top of the hill and be safe from everything. TWI either couldn't fix it or was too lazy, so they just shut it off completely.

Upvote 0
What you're talking about is just one specific map, spawn quality / challenge depends on the given map.

As for the caves in Manor, that hole you think is for crawlers actually used to be for all Zeds, but it led to a map exploit where players could get out there then walk on top of the hill and be safe from everything. TWI either couldn't fix it or was too lazy, so they just shut it off completely.
Man, that is just stupid.
People use the cavespot more or less as an exploit now anyways. Only a few Zeds come from behind every wave. I wish TWI could not be so indifferent towards faulty-map design.

Upvote 0
Spawning in general has been broken for a long time, and it doesn't seem like TWI plan to fix it.

Hell yes , altough sometimes i see some green shapes ( It's the spawn point for the zeds) And it's really easy because you can see where are they coming from. A bit annoying but useful bug ( It triggers itself , there's no way to do it manually)

Upvote 0
Standing there watching zeds pop-up from thin air behind a light pole is the thing annoy me the most. When you try to run away, suddenly 2 sirens and some clots pop-up right in front of you is just stupid.

yeah. It just always feels like a cheap loss when magically appearing sirens take out your team (had they killed us due to our imcompetence, it would have been understandable.)

But, on topic, it seems like, if TWI wants to fix domestic issues before more bew content, that this would be optimal. The main downside of that is that it wouldn't be half as obvious, and therefore would not be regarded as a major update.

Upvote 0
yeah. It just always feels like a cheap loss when magically appearing sirens take out your team (had they killed us due to our imcompetence, it would have been understandable.)

But, on topic, it seems like, if TWI wants to fix domestic issues before more bew content, that this would be optimal. The main downside of that is that it wouldn't be half as obvious, and therefore would not be regarded as a major update.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that things that require a fair amount of work won't be noticed immediately by the average player, whereas certain things that require simply changing a value (such as putting the MAC10 on a different slot, hint hint TWI) would be noticed immediately.

Upvote 0
Manor used to be even more busted than it is now. If some of us would remember... oh a scrake...and another... and another... and another... and another and another.....

Considering what it used to be, its a bit better now. Biolab, they completely got rid of the famous "U" room by opening that vent on the left. Smart move I say. Out of all the official maps I think Crash is the only one that has the most bottle neck spots.

Upvote 0
Manor used to be even more busted than it is now. If some of us would remember... oh a scrake...and another... and another... and another... and another and another.....

Considering what it used to be, its a bit better now. Biolab, they completely got rid of the famous "U" room by opening that vent on the left. Smart move I say. Out of all the official maps I think Crash is the only one that has the most bottle neck spots.

Manor was broken in spawning sometimes. Especially in solo, some times 3-4 fps will spawn on wave 7-9, I encounter a 6 pound spawn on wave 10 once. And sometimes scrakes seems to spawn endlessly. (I dont see anything in changelogs, so I dont know if that's fixed and I haven't play solo for some time)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Manor was broken in spawning sometimes. Especially in solo, some times 3-4 fps will spawn on wave 7-9, I encounter a 6 pound spawn on wave 10 once. And sometimes scrakes seems to spawn endlessly. (I dont see anything in changelogs, so I dont know if that's fixed and I haven't play solo for some time)

I thought they fixed that ages ago. Wasn't just solo, i remember the fence to the left of the caves spawned endless Gorefasts, i've seen Bloats and Scrakes too, but i've not seen it for a long time.

Upvote 0
Well that one point in manor definitely is too easy, but I find more problems with the spawn system being simply "Is the player within line of sight - kind of? Y/N".

Not to mention the single zed (I've only seen scrakes personally, custom and core maps) glitch.

[url]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9687/looooool.png[/URL]

My only proposed fix.. and I'm no coder.. is to only enable the far, far away spawns, and those off-map ones, while raising the default zed count to 45 or so. Maybe increase the rate of spawning too. Tired of relying on sound to tell me if there's a 'problem' enemy nearby, and only hearing it as it spawns in the alley 2 feet away.

Upvote 0
Tbh the worst case of zed spawning is by far Office. 99% of zeds spawn upstairs and walk through the doors to get out the window, and a good half of them still walk into that room even when you're camping in the staircase. But the worst spawn point is the small room on the ground floor corridor where the instant you break line of sight with it they spawn inside the room and suddenly you've got 2 Fleshpounds and 2 Sirens in the middle of your squad.

Upvote 0
Tbh the worst case of zed spawning is by far Office. 99% of zeds spawn upstairs and walk through the doors to get out the window, and a good half of them still walk into that room even when you're camping in the staircase. But the worst spawn point is the small room on the ground floor corridor where the instant you break line of sight with it they spawn inside the room and suddenly you've got 2 Fleshpounds and 2 Sirens in the middle of your squad.
I always wondered where that clot-shower came from at the entrance of offices.

Upvote 0

The red room? Yes, worst spawn ever.

Upvote 0