• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Sounds

It's a game I'll play many hours a day, I want to enjoy the full sound environment not just the loud sounds.

If the sounds are loud up close, I must keep the volume down --> I will only hear sounds up close which is not ideal. I don't want my hearing impaired.

i see what you mean, i dont mean make your ears bleed (hurt was just away of saying loudish) if you want to hear things far away its only fair that thing close are much louder.

Upvote 0
i see what you mean, i dont mean make your ears bleed (hurt was just away of saying loudish) if you want to hear things far away its only fair that thing close are much louder.
they dont have to be "much" louder. You can hear a gun shot many many kilometers away, that's what adds the immersion not loud sounds close. Distant battle sounds > close up sounds. It feels lonely when you can hear only gunshots close.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
they dont have to be "much" louder. You can hear a gun shot many many kilometers away, that's what adds the immersion not loud sounds close. Distant battle sounds > close up sounds. It feels lonely when you can hear only gunshots close.

No offense, but I have no idea what you are trying to say. It's probably because you are ESL.

Upvote 0
No offense, but I have no idea what you are trying to say. It's probably because you are ESL.
I mean that you can give up the realism of loud sounds (who the hell wants their hearing impaired just because it happens in real war) so you can fully experience the distant sounds of battle miles away without being scared of loud sounds up close.

Upvote 0
Yeah a lot of games tend to have more of that metallic sound to their guns, it sounds cool but it's not at all like the actual sounds the guns make.

"Good" sounds for RO are probably going to sound like loud pops and bangs the way they should be.

I personally hope we'll get that along with a bit of that trailing echo/reverb so the guns don't always sound like they were recorded indoors.

Upvote 0
Given the attention to detail that the devs have so far put into every other aspect of the game, let's hope they do the same for sound design.

If there's one that game series that has always had really really lame gun sounds, it's Call of Duty. Seriously, the only game that I thought was really passable was COD4. In every other game I've played the guns don't even sound like guns.

Upvote 0
I have always thought RO had just about the best sounds I have heard ,...What I dont like in games is when the gun sounds have a sort of digital quality to them & dont sound believable
hard to explain but all the shots will sound exactly alike & computer generated to me , that really ruins it , if I think back to the mod days I was kind of fond of the the old ppd40 sound that had a touch of reverberation , dont know how realistic that would be , actually at one time I thought I remembered the smg's briefly had tracers too , unless im mixing it it with some other game...

Upvote 0
What I hate are the two most frequent things done in video games for sound these days.

From at a distance, two things generally are used.

1) The regular weapon sound that you'd hear up close, just lower volume proportionate to distance.

2) No sounds at all past a certain distance.

Very few games I've noticed the battles from afar actually sound different if you can even hear them. That ambiance is certainly interesting and adds foreboding as you charge into the area.

The other thing I heavily dislike is how lots of sounds close up just aren't really that loud, especially things that really should be. Those clomping, heavy boots in the mod version of Red Orchestra was just awesome. When things were quiet you could clearly hear someone down the hall going up the stairs. Most games these days unless you've got your sound really loud or headphones on, the footsteps are so light even in a perfectly quiet area you'll only hear them when it's too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow, I'm glad I've never watched Saving Private Ryan, I hate when movies that portray the Germans as faceless mooks that run into bullets every chance they get...

Well what do you expect, it would be a little weird for a movie to go in depth about the personal story of every enemy soldier killed in a movie. I do agree though that they do seem to make the germans into cannonfodder. They did have a story about one german that they let live after a fight, and they made him out to be a dirty rat that cowered down to the high and mighty americans.

Either way, I liked the gore in this movie but that was about it. If your looking for a realistic war movie I'd take it over Enemy at the Gates any day, but beyond that..

Sorry, off topic.

Reactions: 213
Upvote 0
Well what do you expect, it would be a little weird for a movie to go in depth about the personal story of every enemy soldier killed in a movie. I do agree though that they do seem to make the germans into cannonfodder. They did have a story about one german that they let live after a fight, and they made him out to be a dirty rat that cowered down to the high and mighty americans.

Either way, I liked the gore in this movie but that was about it. If your looking for a realistic war movie I'd take it over Enemy at the Gates any day, but beyond that..

Sorry, off topic.

maybe i was watching a different movie, but that character wasn't portrayed that way at all. he wasn't aware he was being watched by upham, he was simply glad to see him at the end.

i think some audience members tend to project their ideologies and personal beliefs into the movie and thus miss important details like that.

from an objective point of view, saving private ryan was as realistic as it gets. the storyline was the silly part.

Upvote 0