• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tutorial vid in the main menu

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
RO2 is doing a lot of smart things to help newbies overcome the steep learning curve of the first game, i welcome this, because we all know the learning curve really prevented the community from growing, a lot of people ragequit on their first go and never gave it fair chance.

But even with the helpfull new information RO2 is providing via HUD and other clues, and all the effort that is obviously beeing put into making the controls and movement more intuitive, i think we will see a lot of players comeing from more mainstream titles this time around, to whom a lot of the movement and basic tactics of RO may seem rather alien, and tanking most certainly will be, and many of thease players will be buying the game for it's Multiplayer and be jumping straight into that, many will also get it over Steam and therefor not get a conveniant manual.

This brings to mind the "RO Tutorial" videos that where floating around for the first game, that tried to help people get into the game, videos like thease:
YouTube - Red Orchestra Tutorial
YouTube - Red Orchestra Vehicle Tutorial

Thouse where a great idea, not only did they help and inform, but they also demonstrated the tactical posibillities that RO offered, which undoubtedly wetted some appetites for the game and made people give it a go.

So why not make a couple of vids like thease and put them into the game? have a button right there in the main menu that's called "Watch tutorial" or similar, that explains to the newcommer (and even us oldtimers, because some of this stuff is new to us too) how to make use of the movement system, how the guns work, how the gametypes are played, basic tips for staying alive for more than 5 seconds, how tanks work, usefull things of that nature.

And as an added bonus, the vids could just as well serve in marketing the game, release them at some point, show people all the cool things that's possible in this game, and i bet that will wet the appetite of players who might be on the fence about getting RO2.

No matter what game/developer forums you are on, there is always that one guy that says X game has a "steep learning curve."

How the hell does RO or RO2 have a "steep learning curve?" Any normal person that has any brains, played any FPS, can jump right into RO2 and start having fun. Hell, you can even jump right into WWIIONLINE and Arma2 and know how to control the player. This isn't il2 where you have to unchalk the wheels or open up the radiator of your plane.

Are there going to be some features that will be alien to the gamer? Sure. But guess what? You can have any question you want answered in less than 10 seconds through voice or chat.

I could understand if this game was as complex as DCS Blackshark, but it's not a sim. It's just another FPS, with larger maps, more features than say CSS or MW2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Well dang, why didn't that pop up when i searched? probably because i searched for "training" instead of "tutorial" actually.. ohh well.

No matter what game/developer forums you are on, there is always that one guy that says X game has a "steep learning curve."

Because we saw what happened to the first RO every single free weekend, and it wasen't pretty, quite the opposite.

This isen't about people not having the brains to figure it out, it's about people beeing so spoiled for choice in todays gaming market, that it's just too easy to rage quit something, and go play something else if it doesen't work out for them right away.

Upvote 0
I would prefer to play tutorials instead of looking at them.

Some will, some wont, a lot of people out there do not have the patience to play an SP tutorial, they want to jump online emediately, but they might watch a vid first.

I suspect the SP campaign will serve as the playable tutorial (IE: there's probably on option where it will show hints that can be enabled/disabled, thats a common way of doing it), but vids would be more geared twords players who have no interest in playing the SP.

Upvote 0
Because we saw what happened to the first RO every single free weekend, and it wasen't pretty, quite the opposite.

This isen't about people not having the brains to figure it out, it's about people beeing so spoiled for choice in todays gaming market, that it's just too easy to rage quit something, and go play something else if it doesen't work out for them right away.

Gamers didn't stick around after the free weekend because the game felt clunky and looked very dated. It had nothing to do with being hard to master.

Example:
Both on the WWIIONLINE and simHQ.com forums, gamers didn't like RO or DH because the tank combat felt too "arcadey", and if RO could have a detailed damage modeling system like WWIIONLINE and Steal Beast has, they'd probably play more. They wanted more features and buttons to press giving them more control of the tank. That's just from what simmers think.

Some of the things I hear from the DOD:S/COD community is that they loved what RO/DH has (combined arms), but the game doesn't have the "awesome graphics that HL2/COD has." Most of the complaints had nothing to do with the operating the game, but everything to do with the sex appeal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Actually RO is tough game for all who expect another CoD-like-game. Those players were very surprised when in RO they have to something more than press W and spam left mouse button.

anyway:
Any kind tutorials (as video and/or training missions) are needed for newcomers.
Training term was covered already in this thread.

Upvote 0