• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Super Slow death?

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
So we know there are basically 3 types of death in ROHOS.

1. Instant death - Headshot, or chest shot with high caliber
2. Slow death - Get a chance to fire off a shot or two, then die.
3. Bleed out - get hit in extremity, need to bandage or will bleed out.

I think there should be a 4th mode.

4. Super slow bleed out.

This would be an extension of 3. You will be able to bandage to prevent a quick bleed out, but you're still injured, and you should gradually lose combat effectiveness through slow bloodless.

So say over the course of 10-20 minutes, your stamina gradually goes down (more so if you're hit in the leg), you ironsight sway goes up (more so if you're hit in the arm), until eventually you black out/become to tired to fight.

Possibly even not have you incapacitated, but just have permanent disadvantages, since it doesn't seem realistic to be able to bandage and be right as rain.

Most of the time you will have been killed by now, but this will give a slight disadvantage to players who have been hit once, so they're less likely to go on extremely long kill streaks.

Also this could tie in to an adrenalin system, so even after having become weakened, you could get a temporary boost in speed/stamina (back to normal), if you're being shot at, especially with an MG.

Thoughts? Not sure how medically realistic this is, but I'm assuming a bandage is not enough to permanently cure a bullet wound.

"Aleksei, come closer!" "What is it?" "Give this to my wife, and tell her I love her." "Dude, there's still 15 minutes left, keep fighting."

You get the idea. I'm all for a permanent system when it comes to arm/leg wounds, but after a while there's just so much control that you can't take away from a player without it being frustrating and having that player prefer to die.

Upvote 0
In RO dead means combat ineffective. A badly injured soldier is no use in the battlefield, so he may as well be considered dead. A feature like this would only be acceptable in slow paced games like Arma, OpFP and PR where classes like medics are applicable, and RO is quite fast paced for things like that.

Pretty much, the idea might work if we reduced it to something like 5 minutes, and make it so bandaging also recovers most of your combat effectiveness, so people don't want to die to get a fresh guy who isen't hadicapped, but they do want to bandage to recover their combat effectiveness, an action that leaves them vulnerable for a bit and might be an interesting tactical choice.

Upvote 0
In RO dead means combat ineffective. A badly injured soldier is no use in the battlefield, so he may as well be considered dead. A feature like this would only be acceptable in slow paced games like Arma, OpFP and PR where classes like medics are applicable, and RO is quite fast paced for things like that.

Are you saying theres no scope between dead-perfectly fine?

Its realistic, and it adds gameplay.

OF COURSE it needs to be balanced so that people don't prefer to just kill themselves, but that doesn't mean it can't be balanced.

I already said that yes, within the time, most soldiers will have been killed by then and some games will have finished, but thats the whole point, to give some kind of (minor) disadvantage to people who've been shot in a non vital area.

There is already instant death, and slow death, there should be some kind of disadvantage from being shot, otherwise bandages become magical healers.

Maybe in real life, it would take hours to start, but its a game so accommodation has to be made for gameplays sake.

Upvote 0

OF COURSE it needs to be balanced so that people don't prefer to just kill themselves, but that doesn't mean it can't be balanced.

I already said that yes, within the time, most soldiers will have been killed by then and some games will have finished, but thats the whole point, to give some kind of (minor) disadvantage to people who've been shot in a non vital area.

There is already instant death, and slow death, there should be some kind of disadvantage from being shot, otherwise bandages become magical healers.

Maybe in real life, it would take hours to start, but its a game so accommodation has to be made for gameplays sake.
You have to remember that NOBODY stays alive for more than 5min in RO, not even snipers.

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0

He's saying RO doesn't model death, it models combat ineffectiveness.
If your soldier breaks his leg, is he dead? No. Is he out of the fight? Yes.

Bandages don't heal you, they stop you from bleeding out further. As Ramm-Jaeger said in one of the preview videos, when you are shot in a non-vital area, you take half the damage instantly, and the other half will occur over bleed out time if you are not damaged. The disadvantage to being shot is that you have less health and are less likely to survive further (otherwise non-lethal) injuries.

Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
He's saying RO doesn't model death, it models combat ineffectiveness.
If your soldier breaks his leg, is he dead? No. Is he out of the fight? Yes.

Bandages don't heal you, they stop you from bleeding out further. As Ramm-Jaeger said in one of the preview videos, when you are shot in a non-vital area, you take half the damage instantly, and the other half will occur over bleed out time if you are not damaged. The disadvantage to being shot is that you have less health and are less likely to survive further (otherwise non-lethal) injuries.

I thought RO didn't work on a health point system?

Upvote 0
Well there aren't health points as far as the player is concerned, but when you get down to the code, eventually you're going to have to represent the player's health level and the amount of damage a bullet does with some sort of number. Otherwise there'd be no way to account for say, a rifle shot to the stomach doing more damage than a pistol shot.

Upvote 0