• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Relaxed" realism....

Well the reason for relaxed realism is to attract and keep new players playing. The hope then is that these new players will get into the "hardcore" realism style servers.

I see your point about dealing with a majority of relaxed realism servers but what's better: empty realism servers or full relaxed realism servers? You have to keep in mind it's not necessarily true that players who play relaxed realism would stick around when forced into hardcore realism.

Considering that the difference between relaxed and true, will be cosmetic, with newbie helping and some indicators, I don't think they will miss that much once they get into the game.

My bet is that the most popular server setting would be full realism with death messages turned on.

Upvote 0
The problem is that those things do affect gameplay a little bit: at the moment I throw grenades into a room until I get a kill message, then I know the room is clear when in reality I wouldn't. I can also spray machine gun fire into a bush if I saw an enemy soldier run behind it until I get said kill message.

Doesn't change it for me, two nades go through the door, attach bayonet, BANZAI!

Reactions: Bluehawk
Upvote 0
Well the reason for relaxed realism is to attract and keep new players playing. The hope then is that these new players will get into the "hardcore" realism style servers.

I see your point about dealing with a majority of relaxed realism servers but what's better: empty realism servers or full relaxed realism servers? You have to keep in mind it's not necessarily true that players who play relaxed realism would stick around when forced into hardcore realism.

I'd rather have full servers and not a split community.

Upvote 0
I don't think this will split the community like it did with the RO mods. I am more likely to find a server playing a map I like first, then with a decent ping, and then worry about the realism settings after the fact.

I guess that as a player, we will still have the ability to turn off certain elements of the HUD anyway, or reduce the text size etc. Right? :D

Upvote 0
Way to go with the stereotypes that aren't backed up with any research data. It's like saying all Mexicans like eating beans and all Brits have bad teeth.

I can tell you when OFP DR was about to be released, there were A LOT of console and COD4 PCers that wanted something more realistic to play. This was just from reading the endless amounts of threads being posted by them on the Consolemaster's forum.

My apologies for obviously offending you a great deal. I'll qualify my unscientific statement. It was based on comments my son made about how his friends didnt like RO because of the game play. But if you are just looking to be offended - its highly likely you will be

Upvote 0
Basically what I mean is I doubt I'll ever get to play with full realism, especially not with any good number of people. Also another thing to remember is that if the difference is only cosmetic wouldn't that mean even less reason to change? I would think the vast majority of people would rather keep the hud/kill messages than lose them.

Upvote 0
I don't really see what all the fuss is about, from what we've seen and know of relaxed realism, this really shoulden't prevent anyone from enjoying the game, even if forced to play such servers by traffic or ping, having a compas and the kill messages on the screen is not going to spoil the game for me.

Less so when we considder the gameplay changes of RO2, and how it tries to ensure that we don't fight small 1on1 or 2on2 engagements anymore (which was common in RO1, since everyone got so spread out usually), but that groups will collide with other groups thanks to the new squad system.

Nading a room and seeing a kill message may have been a good indication that the room is now safe to enter on many RO1 maps, but in RO2, where that guy likely has a bunch of his buddies nearby, i don't think it's going to be a safe bet anymore, someone could easilly hear the bang and see the smoke effects from that room, anticipate that you will try to go for it, and set up an ambush.

It remains to be seen, of course, but i suspect that things like kill messages just wont be as usefull in RO2 as they where in the first game.

Ohh, and if they still bother you, then obscure them with a Postit or something, how hard can it be..

Upvote 0
I don't really see what all the fuss is about, from what we've seen and know of relaxed realism, this really shoulden't prevent anyone from enjoying the game, even if forced to play such servers by traffic or ping, having a compas and the kill messages on the screen is not going to spoil the game for me.

Less so when we considder the gameplay changes of RO2, and how it tries to ensure that we don't fight small 1on1 or 2on2 engagements anymore (which was common in RO1, since everyone got so spread out usually), but that groups will collide with other groups thanks to the new squad system.

Nading a room and seeing a kill message may have been a good indication that the room is now safe to enter on many RO1 maps, but in RO2, where that guy likely has a bunch of his buddies nearby, i don't think it's going to be a safe bet anymore, someone could easilly hear the bang and see the smoke effects from that room, anticipate that you will try to go for it, and set up an ambush.

It remains to be seen, of course, but i suspect that things like kill messages just wont be as usefull in RO2 as they where in the first game.

Ohh, and if they still bother you, then obscure them with a Postit or something, how hard can it be..

Good group infantry battles and no more tank crewman running around the battlefield.

Upvote 0