• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrades huh?

Flash hiders, maybe make adjustable sights and stripper clips upgrades.

I think there should be a drum mag for the Thompson in RS ^.^

I wouldn't expect a lot of weapon upgrading minutia, but fewer more substantive elements.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect tons of options. But since he mentioned scopes and all. I was thinking that every class would have 1 or 2 upgrades for their type of gun...

Reactions: evulclown
Upvote 0
Now, he gave an example of sniper scopes having more magnification power. But whats for the other guns? Will we have these upgrades for all classes?

I'd be ok with that as long as it is realistic. Say there were different types of scopes used with different magnification levels. I know the Mosins had a few different scopes.

If this is just keeping the same scope model and giving certian players abnormal abilities, this is slipping to CoD style upgrades. I hate this kind of stuff for MP games.

I'd be ok with something like the following:

Upgrade the PPSH drums to the stick mags. With the mags, you can reload quicker and carry more ammo overall. But you have to reload more frequently.

Realistic, and it balances out pretty well. Giving heroes the options for both would be nice.

But I just hope it doesn't get carried away. If so, I'll probably end up sticking with OST.

Well finally we get confirmation that earning achievements can improve performance, an idea I've always liked.

The worse thing to happen to gaming in the past few years are "achievements".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The worse thing to happen to gaming in the past few years are "achievements".

This. Pandering to the MMORPG communities lust for meaningless e-penis progression crack. The novelty has well and truly worn off and I hope they disappear.

GRATS ON WALKING FORWARD
GRATS ON SHOOTING 10 ENEMIES
GRATS ON STABBING 20 NAZIS IN THE FACE
GRATS ON WALKING AROUND THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF EVERY MAP
GRATS ON SHOOTING EVERY WEAPON ONCE
GRATS ON BEATING A SNIPER TO DEATH WITH HIS OWN RIFLE
GRATS ON HIJACKING AN ENEMIES TANK, RUNNING DOWN AN ENTIRE SQUAD AND CAUSING DOUBLE DIGIT RAGE QUITS!

If I could somehow harness the amount of energy people are willing to put into vastly time consuming menial work to get arbitrary achievements (with literally no positive gain for them!!) I will be able to run sweatshops full of WoW nerds and Cod fanboys and become RICH! :IS2:

Edit:
On topic though, I really do hope they're not over the top things as stated by others. I can't see what realistic upgrades can even be added to a bolt action rifle. It would simply be gamey or retarded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the idea of using the bayonet as a knife. I hate running out of ammo, and having to use the butt of my rifle because I forget to put on the bayonet.. :/ (I know.. I'm forgetful..)

I really love most of these ideas, but just so long as we're not getting a built in weapon craft mod, or a Mannconomy update, then I'm happy with whatever. Because we can all agree on one thing, what Valve did wrong with TF2..... :/

Upvote 0
Like this one?

mp4020kl.jpg

:p

Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
There were designated marksmen in the Wehrmacht, which were equipped with 1.5x scopes for their Kar98k's. Though they had terrible, TERRIBLE eye relief, they were somewhat effective. This could be the preliminary scope for the sniper class, and the 4x and 6x could come later after X achievements or kills. I don't see why a bayonet should be an upgrade since it is standard issue and required to be carried by every soldier on his spade holster.

A rifle grenade could be cool if was around in that time period, and as mentioned earlier, took forever to equip and remove. I don't want to see any CoD3 noob-tubing. :D

Please no extended magazines/clips for rifles and sub-machine guns that cannot accept them or never appeared in Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
The example of the scope for the sniper, from a 1.5X magnification to maybe a 4X or a 6X seemed reasonable for a veteran.

Based on that reasonable example, I think any other "upgrades" will be very modest or have some basis in reality, at least I hope so.
Yes ALL upgrades would have to be things that make complete sense in reality, otherwise it will come across as being really really really stupid. We better not see basic things that were standard issue be taken away just so they can be added back in as a ranking benefit. For instance, taking away bayonets (which every soldier received) just so that the game can give them back to us when we reach Rank X. I HATE that kind of stuff, and it's very COD-esque.

I hope the devs know what they're doing here ... there is a very fine line. Hell, I would be perfectly happy if this only applied in very few situations. I want most ranking benefits to be purely cosmetic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have complete confidence that TWI knows exactly what they're doing, and that I'm going to love all of it.

Do you know how long I've waited to say that?

:D

Of course, not having played the game, and expecting there's new things yet to be learned about it, and that maybe I won't like all of them.

Nevermind, just feels real good anway. ;)

Upvote 0
I want to attach my Sten to your bren so I can brensten you up some brain splatters.

-

I really don't like "Levels" and "Unlocking" stuff...The focus should be on getting good with the weapon. Making each weapon handle slightly differently and trying to pick your favourite.

Artificial skill, IE - leveling, is like...your good when you have the rocket launcher 5000 against people who have pitchforks. But the thing is...Those people THINK they are good and have that kind of attitude.

Upvote 0
I want to attach my Sten to your bren so I can brensten you up some brain splatters.

-

I really don't like "Levels" and "Unlocking" stuff...The focus should be on getting good with the weapon. Making each weapon handle slightly differently and trying to pick your favourite.

Artificial skill, IE - leveling, is like...your good when you have the rocket launcher 5000 against people who have pitchforks. But the thing is...Those people THINK they are good and have that kind of attitude.

I agree. I don't want the game to turn into a "lets kill X amount of people so I can get a scope on my Mosin and a pistol" for the riflemen class.

There should be classes. They each have their role. The focus should be on playing them.

As for weapon upgrades, really, there isn't much that can be done in WWII. I am sure clips were standard issue, and bayonets where.

Outside of snipers, scopes were almost never used.

As for rifle grenades, that would make an interesting class. Assuming it is done realistically. Eject round/shell, insert the grenade launching round, chamber it, attach the grenade, and whatever else you have to do.

Upvote 0
The first unlock for the k98 is the trigger - you need to bayonet or rifle butt 15 enemies in order to unlock it.

You're simply supplied with a tree and some iron ore!

I agree. I don't want the game to turn into a "lets kill X amount of people so I can get a scope on my Mosin and a pistol" for the riflemen class.

There should be classes. They each have their role. The focus should be on playing them.

As for weapon upgrades, really, there isn't much that can be done in WWII. I am sure clips were standard issue, and bayonets where.

Outside of snipers, scopes were almost never used.

As for rifle grenades, that would make an interesting class. Assuming it is done realistically. Eject round/shell, insert the grenade launching round, chamber it, attach the grenade, and whatever else you have to do.

Pretty much this. There were no upgrades on weapons. The weapon was the weapon, all this accessory crap is really a modern addition. The only upgrade was a scope and they weren't just handed out like candy.

Yes as well a rifle grenade CLASS could be good if done correctly. There were even anti tank rifle grenades of questionable effectiveness. I'm pretty sure everyone wants to avoid noob tube syndrome though. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to agree with the majority, I dislike upgrades cod4 I can just about stomach these days but cod2 was way more fun, I believe the reason for that was each gun really handled individually and was different from the next.
Keep upgrades to a minimum and concentrate efforts on getting the guns to be individual, Just my opinion of course xD

Upvote 0
I agree with you all don't make too many upgrades and some of you even dislike the idea but most gamers enjoy the idea of "unlocking" things for their weapon.

I disagree on the double stacked mag though >_>

I'm not sure how much TWI is going to expand these upgrades out or if it's only for certain guns and classes. I do hope there aren't upgrades for all classes (although, that might make some classes unfavorable...)

Upvote 0