• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando weapons

Nekomancer

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
I'm no expert in this game. So i want some expert advice.

I have a Level 4 Commando, soon to be Level 5. My favorite Perk weapon is the Bullpup, followed by SCAR and least favorite is the AK. My biggest gripe with the AK is the Iron sight. Bullpup and SCAR have a Scope/RDS which helps a lot with aiming.

What is your loadout advice for higher difficulties like Hard and Suicidal? Is the Bullpup still viable? Or should i train with the AK a lot more?

Last edited:
I prefer the Bullpup, but you should learn both yes. Just remember that the AK recoils considerably to the right as well as up.

I love the Ak and you should learn to use iron sites because a lot of weapons have them

I don't think it's so much a problem with ironsights in general as the AK's in particular. It's very crowded and hard to see through, especially at lower graphical settings (The Mac10's even worse, though the LAR ironsights are awesome).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't have problems with the iron sights of other weapons, even the iron sight of the MAC10 feels better for me. Sure, i do a lot of "hip shooting", but sometimes i just need something to help me aim.

P.S.: Yes, the LAR iron sight is awesome, also is the AA-12's, even if it has nearly no use, it's a shotgun^^.

Upvote 0
Tbh i never saw a reason to use the AK iron sight... the weapons accuracy isn't brilliant, the iron sights are horrible and the SCAR is considerably better in all respects, particularly for single shotting. AK is just your backup 'full auto' weapon. Never really understood the Bullpup argument when you have the SCAR for all your headshotting purposes.

Upvote 0
If you need advice for the game, I suggest you read this: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=44262

It's had a lot of additions by the rest of the community and I have to thank each and every one of you who's posted in there and had something that is in the OP!

Anyway, here comes the details of the weapons:

Bullpup

My personal favourite. A level 6 holds 50 rounds a mag with 10 mags total. That's 500 rounds. It has a fast fire rate, it's quite accurate and it has almost zero recoil. It's damage is quite solid as well, giving you the advantage of instantly decapping every Gorefast, Crawler, Clot, Bloat and Stalker in the area. It's cheap and can be found in the map. It's effective with full-auto even in longer ranges (though not as much as the SCAR's semi-auto).

SCAR

General rule is to treat it as a sniping weapon. It has a higher firerate than the AK-47, but it's not as fast as the bullpup (As far as I know). It's a very powerful weapon and it's extremely accurate. If you get a ZED's head in that red dot sight, that ZED is dead with one click. It does heavy damage and it could be used as a "panic" weapon for when you get charged at by a Fleshie or Scrake.

AK-47

It has 37 rounds for a level 6 and it deals good damage in between the SCAR and the 'pup. It has the slowest fire rate out of all the commando weapons but it does solid damage to more "absorbent" targets, like the gorefast's chest area. Most say its sights are horrible, while some say you don't even need to use them - this justifies the fact that the AK-47 is a close-quarter "spam" weapon. However, it's possible to snipe with it, but it is nowhere near as effective as the SCAR.

If you're going to have two commando weapons, take a Bullpup and a SCAR.

If you're going to take only one, take the AK-47 because it's spread 50:50 between both jobs but it will never outshine the SCAR and 'Pup when it comes to actually doing those jobs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The AK's reload may not be shorter than a Bullpup, but especially now, it's much faster to switch from SCAR to AK than to reload the SCAR. Often if I go dry on a SCAR with crowd control, I switch to AK, fire it all out, and then manage my ammo. The AK has much more headshots/magazine than SCAR, ironically enough, for most easy enemies.

Upvote 0
Ok, i'm experimenting a bit at the moment. Right now i'm using SCAR + M32 MGL. This way i have something against these FP, the biggest weakness of a Commando.

That way i was able to beat Wyre on Normal the first time. Yeah, i know, Commando Level 4 should play on Hard. But i'm not that good, although, i'm clearly getting better now that i'm getting used to the recoil of the SCAR.

Upvote 0
Tbh i never saw a reason to use the AK iron sight... the weapons accuracy isn't brilliant, the iron sights are horrible and the SCAR is considerably better in all respects, particularly for single shotting. AK is just your backup 'full auto' weapon. Never really understood the Bullpup argument when you have the SCAR for all your headshotting purposes.

I don't use the SCAR anymore since it got nerfed, or barely use it anymore. It won't even oneshot a crawler on suicidal anymore. I use the AK single shot or full auto, depending. I use the AK/bullpup combo generally, and have no problem headshotting ZEDs all the way across the map on semi. The AK is a lot more accurate than people give it credit for.

I find that the reload on the SCAR is unforgiveable in suicidal. I used it before even with the slow reload, but in combination with the damage reduction, I would rather just use an AK. By the time I am down to my 9mm, there are barely any enemies left. That is generally for wave 7-10, I still have rifle ammo left over on lower waves.

Upvote 0
You'll be much, much more efficient if you were to treat it as a sniping weapon using the semi-automatic setting and you can kill as many ZEDs as bullets you have in your mag. :IS2:

I might be in the minority, but I like to leave my Scar on full-auto. (Though I do tend to just use single shots or 2-round bursts)

Why? Because every single time I set it to semi-auto, a Scrake or FP rages at me and I pull out the Scar and hold fire. 1 bullet comes out, which I sometimes don't even notice because my ears are full of the sounds of raging Fleshpounds and M32 spam.

Seriously, if I leave it on full-auto the big guys leave me alone. But if I set it to semi-auto, I WILL get a Scrake in my face, especially if I didn't buy a katana. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Upvote 0
I might be in the minority, but I like to leave my Scar on full-auto. (Though I do tend to just use single shots or 2-round bursts)

Why? Because every single time I set it to semi-auto, a Scrake or FP rages at me and I pull out the Scar and hold fire. 1 bullet comes out, which I sometimes don't even notice because my ears are full of the sounds of raging Fleshpounds and M32 spam.

Seriously, if I leave it on full-auto the big guys leave me alone. But if I set it to semi-auto, I WILL get a Scrake in my face, especially if I didn't buy a katana. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I'm also in this small community of people who just leave it at full auto. I run AK and Scar. I used to HATE the ak. But as time went by, I've come to like it over the bullpup. Meh... like what was stated earlier, its all preference.

Upvote 0
I pull out the Scar and hold fire. 1 bullet comes out, which I sometimes don't even notice because my ears are full of the sounds of raging Fleshpounds and M32 spam.

This is indeed a major problem, but you just got to be a little more aware. One of the biggest things you can do that can change a lot of things when playing KF is to really relax and be certain of everything you're doing (and don't do anything with hesistation!).

Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0