• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Only Germans and Russians?

Hmm, I like this idea about adding more teams/factions through DLC. Free DLC (as in mandatory, free update) would be the best way I guess - but TWI does need money too. So maby they could work like optional add-ons that just add new maps, weapons and teams? Kind of like the BF2 "Booster Packs". Altough this would mean that there must be special pack-enabled servers wich might split the playerbase just like the mods of RO... Needs more thinking. :)

Upvote 0
It's pretty obvious at this stage that Tripwire don't intend to include other countries in the initial release. That's pretty understandable, there's a lot of work involved in that.

I wonder though if anyone plans on modding Romanians for example? Or if Tripwire would add them as a downloadable pack / integrate a decent Romanian mod into the game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Armies_in_the_Battle_of_Stalingrad

Over 220,000 Romanians were involved in the battle for Stalingrad after all. That's a whole lot of people to just forget about. :eek:

afr_1_

They provided food too!
stalingrad_romanian_cavalry_saddles.jpg

:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's pretty obvious at this stage that Tripwire don't intend to include other countries in the initial release. That's pretty understandable, there's a lot of work involved in that.

I wonder though if anyone plans on modding Romanians for example? Or if Tripwire would add them as a downloadable pack / integrate a decent Romanian mod into the game?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Armies_in_the_Battle_of_Stalingrad[/URL]

Over 220,000 Romanians were involved in the battle for Stalingrad after all. That's a whole lot of people to just forget about. :eek:

They provided food too!

:p
I would rather take Hungary over Romania. If they added Italians and Romanians, no one would want to play as them because they would keep losing! :p

Upvote 0
I dunno. I'd actually like being run into the snow as a Romanian fighting hordes of T34s without anti-tank weapons and walls of Soviet infantry with nothing but rifles. Would the map be "unbalanced"? Yes. Do I care? No.

If you won it'd be glorious, chucking petrol bombs all over and hiding in holes with your rifle as wave after wave of T-34's trundle about machine gunning everything

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While it would be nice to have Romanians, Hungarians and Italians represented, I don't think that it is necessary, and I would rather see the developers prioritize on the German and Russian teams.

Romanias were very important, without them, the counter-offensive started on 19th Nov wouldn't be so successful. :eek:

If it wasn't for the Romanians the German offensive of 1942 wouldn't have been possible in the first place, so if you're going to discredit the Romanians, please keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
If you're going to implement the Romanians into the game, you'd might as well consider Hungary, Italy, and the Independent state of Croatia.:IS2:

I'm not sure how many Hungarians and Italians were at Stalingrad, but if I recall correctly, they were not nearly as many as the Romanians.

Edit: Excuse me. Plenty of at least Hungarians and Italians served at Stalingrad, so it would indeed be justifiable to add them in the event of the Romanians being added. The Croats I didn't find any numbers on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe the only Croatian force on the Eastern Front was the 369th Croatian Infantry Regiment, which was under German command. They numbered about 4,500 during their campaign and were disbanded after their defeat in Stalingrad.

They also wore German uniforms and used German equipment except with a Croatian badge:

7y55ob4ni6

So modding them in isn't even a challenge -- it's a literal helmet texture change. The sound acting however, is a different matter.

They also went through some pretty hairy stuff and were considered pretty damn brave, earning the respect of German commanders. As a single player campaign they'd be perfect. But for such a minor nation it's not even commercially viable. :rolleyes:;)

"Staff Sergeant Dragutin PODOBNIK, recieved the Iron Cross 2nd Class on September 24, 1942, for actions in the Ukraine, during the course of the Summer (specifically the "Proljet Kultura" Kolhoz battle, an all-night, hand-to-hand combat action). On September 27, 1942, the 369th entered Stalingrad.

Staff Sergeant PODOBNIK was further decorated on October 16, 1942 with the Iron Cross 1st Class by General Sanne (at Stalingrad). The award was recieved for an action on September 30, 1942, where Podobnik and 18 of his men infiltrated a fortified Soviet position in the “Red October” factory, destroyed the defenders(even though the Russians outnumbered them), and handed over the occupied building to the 54th German Regiment (that had been unsuccessfully attacking this position for several hours). Podobnik and his men also captured 3 enemy artillery pieces, 2 mortars, 1 “Maksim” machine-gun, and a large number of rifles, pistols, grenades and automatic weapons. All of this with only 3 lightly wounded men. Sergeant Podobnik would, unfortunately, not return from Stalingrad (his actual fate is unknown)"

Staff Sergeant Dragutin Podobnik is the badass second from the left with the mp40 and the grenades:
badassv.jpg

The 369th were attached to the 100th Jaeger Division and fought its way through Ukraine up to Stalingrad, got trapped inside fighting pretty bravely taking key locations, defending key spots until the entire city capitulated. Those that survived were put on a forced march without warm clothes to Moscow into POW camps. They were then abused, starved, beaten w/e and something like 5% survived that. Anyone who did live was forced into basically a suicide squad for Tito and then whoever survived that was executed for not being trustful! Not too fantastic, lol.

Bit cheesy and Patriotic haha:
YouTube - Hrvatski dobrovoljci u njemačkoj vojsci - Drugi svjetski rat

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=138831&start=45
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/369th_Reinforced_Infantry_Regiment

Germany's allies around Stalingrad get a lot of stick for buckling and causing the 6th army to be surrounded, but really, you can't blame them. They had a total lack of anti armour ability, despite desperately trying to get reinforcements, and informing commanders that a push was pretty imminent, no one bothered. German high command was just retarded, putting your least equipped troops on the flank, no matter how tenaciously they defend will only result in your *** getting kicked haha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0