• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will twi use the ingame purchase model seen in TF2?

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/30/i...selling-team-fortress-2-items-for-real-money/

Basically it states that the purchase system is part of the steam cloud which means that it can be used for kf characters and all kinds of stuff. Will twi be using its ability with HOS?

For instance to offer custom maps that a player can be alerted upon when joining a server. Or to allow someone to buy RS right from within the game.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, personally I hate purchasing any additional stuff after buying the initial game and hate adds even more. However paying a small fee for visual add-ons does seem to be the market trend.

For killing floor having a built in system similar to what tf2 will get would have probably made the character DLC more neatly implemented.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not so sure, personally I hate purchasing any additional stuff after buying the initial game and hate adds even more. However paying a small fee for visual add-ons does seem to be the trend.

For killing floor having a built in system similar to what tf2 will get would have probably made the dlc nicer.

no, because i'll let the modders handle the custom uniform options, and if they won't, i'll learn to model and do it myself.

with red orchestra, we're dealing with a different crowd than tf2 or modern warfare. and twi has acknowledged this on several occasions.

Remember that TWI doesn't have to use it in the exact same method, its a tool. For the sake of things they could offer stuff on there for free.

then your thread title is misleading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually as far as I know one of the so called reasons for implementing it in TF2 is to make community made content easier available. Regarding purchase models used that really doesn't matter that much with the community, remember that the people on these forums are just a tiny fraction of the total community.

The RO community would buy a game full of adds/ restricted content through dlc just as easy as any other community for that matter. Not that it makes me happy though.

I haven't stated that I wanted TWI to use it but I posed it as a question, and in a realistic sense I think the chance is definitely there that TWI will use said system. My thread isn't misleading, it was just about asking whether TWI will use feature X of steam cloud which is currently going to be used with TF.

Similarly I expect TWI to use for instance the match arranging features of l4d as well at least for the co-op part of the game. TWI has so far always tried to use all steam cloud features, and I personally wonder what things we'll all end up seeing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1st question should be: "Will twi use any kind DLC for their new game" cause I don't see any interesting DLCs which can be released for new RO2. Selling maps, weapons, items as DLC is worst option even could been. Only good thing what can be put into store are skins. Those worked pretty well for Killing Floor, but how does it to HoS? RO2 is historical and realism based game, so it'd bit strange to allow players run on the map in different uniforms.

Except "rolled up sleeves" and "custom haircut" skins there is not much to sell ;).

Upvote 0
1st question should be: "Will twi use any kind DLC for their new game" cause I don't see any interesting DLCs which can be released for new RO2. Selling maps, weapons, items as DLC is worst option even could been. Only good thing what can be put into store are skins. Those worked pretty well for Killing Floor, but how does it to HoS? RO2 is historical and realism based game, so it'd bit strange to allow players run on the map in different uniforms.

Except "rolled up sleeves" and "custom haircut" skins there is not much to sell ;).

You could sell twigs to use as camouflage on your helmet :p. White blankets to use for your winter uniform. The ability to wear your zeltbahn.

You can always sell things.

Upvote 0
Only DLC they can do is things that have no impact on gameplay or split the community at all. So you should get no benefit in gameplay terms, not even a small one (camo etc).

So things like scars, tattoos, stripes on uniforms, decals on tanks (maybe a custom word or image) would be OK to me. The more they fit into the setting the better tho. No maps, only an expansion 6 months in or so, or free updates, so we don't get the community split up depending on which DLC's you bought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Map-pack as DLC ? Maybe, but i want more value than mw2's 15€ for 3 new maps and 2 recycled from an older game. On the other hand, map-packs tend to split communities up, so maybe were better off with that little sort of dlc, that doenst force anyone to buy in the fear that they are somehow "left out" if they dont buy it.

Map-pack DLC is highly unlikely. TWI all patches and new maps, weapons, vehicles release as free update. Only DLC which arrived from TWI were 3 cool and cheap skin packs for Killing Floor. I'm pretty sure that TWI won't make that mistake and won't split up community in any way.

So, for HoS DLC, which suppose to be:
- historical accurate
- unharmed (not splitting community, giving extra skills, abilities, etc)
- cool in TWI way :p

For example: custom tank :IS2: skins, decals would be OK.

Upvote 0
Seeing what Valve did with TF2 over the last year or so, adding all that pseudo-RPG nonsense, I'm glad I stopped playing it. Shame, it used to be a good game.

Anyway.

I'm definitely in favour of cosmetic DLC's, like they did with KF. It's a great way of supporting TWI. I would buy a rolled-up sleeves DLC. But paying for new weapons? That stinks, man...

Being able to buy Rising Storm from within HOS would be nice.

I love how Bohemia Interactive handled the British Armed Forces DLC. Even if you don't have BAF, you can still play BAF missions, but the sounds will be bad and the textures will look like ****. So it doesn't divide the community. If you buy BAF (very cheap), the graphics will be normal. I just think that is such a genius decision.

Upvote 0
-rolled up sleeves
-new voices
-various body and facial features
-kettles
-that "realistic" SP campaign wilsonam was talking about earlier (where the reinforcements are realistic-so in grain elevator its like 20 russians on 200 germans or w/e it was)
-random pics that TWI used as research

can all be DLC. basically things that don't effect MP in any tangible way, or historical SP things that might take some effort to put into game but are not needed

Last edited:
Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
Is it just me or does Zets make these kinds of threads just to sort of cover all the bases so that when someone else eventually asks for whatever ridiculous reason, we can just say "Hey use search, we already told Zetsumei the idea was crazy."?

You'd have to be nuts to truly think Tripwire would do that. Small DLC is fine like they did with KF, but no in-game stores for frivolous items.

Upvote 0
if the system is ridiculous and it works, it isnt ridiculous :IS2:

True, but one shouldn't nurture bad practices even if they are effective.

The fact that these systems are attractive to people who generally aren't used to getting the same content for free is encouraging more and more developers to charge for map packs and things that 5 years ago would never have had a price tagged onto it.

PC gamers have been used to getting large content packs like the Unreal Tournament Bonus Packs as a sort of "thank you" for playing the game. These days Epic would have charged something like $50 for all those maps and vehicles.

Upvote 0