• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Availbility

If You live in Australia STEAM is brilliant (especially ATM with the Aussie Dollar hammering the Greenback....our GFC rocks the rest of You's Sucked dogs bollocks big time;):p:D)...retailers over here charge like wounded bulls and even when the GB was strong We still made a saving (until Act-N0-vision wised up....bloody pikers)....So all hail STEAM and the rest of You's.....get Yer economies sorted out....and BTW hurry and release the game so I (and other Australian peoples ) can make a killing on this saviour of PC gaming....You know it makes sense:IS2:

top seller rip offs

Medal Of Honor :$10usd more
Sid meliers civilization V :$30usd more
Fallout: new Vegas :$40usd more
Battlefield bad company 2 :$40usd more

just a few locked out games i want

Singularity
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas
Bully

Upvote 0
Another great thing about Steam is how many awesome deals you can often get there. They have crazy discounts all the time which has allowed me to buy Rome Total War for $2.50, a package containing RTW (already had it), Medieval Total War 2 (with expansions) and Empire Total War for less than 20 bucks, Left 4 Dead 2 was $9.00, and The Witcher Ultimate Edition for a measly 6 dollars. That's just to name a few!

Upvote 0
As you might know origination, Valve Corporation is offering pre-fabricated software components (e.g. an 'achievement' tracking system) for 'free'. Making use of those also makes the Steam platform a requirement. An example of this is Red Orchestra 2.

The developer profits, since he doesn't have to program such a system himself. Valve Corporation profits, since every sold copy of said title boosts their sales and advertising platform. Only customers like you lose out :)

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
You guys are missing my point. I am simply saying I would like to see the game have the ability to run independently of steam. That is all. What do I mean by that? With Red Orchestra Ost front you COULD NOT run the game at all unless steam was on and you are logged into your account. So simply put, have the ability to run without steam loaded, but not the necessity.

I don't see why it would be a big trouble for valve to allow people who bought the game on dvd to activate their CD-Key on their steam account and then gain access to the download as well. That way you have your physical copy and digital copy.

No big deal either way, just saying theres no reason why the game shouldn't be possible to load without steam on if they should choose that road.

Uhh ... you can run RO with Steam offline. You just can't play it online. Steam provides the mechanism for access to the servers and online games.

Also, once you activate the game with Steam, you -do- have access to the download from Steam. I've used my boxed copy of RO (bought on release day) precisely one time, and that was to install it (and Steam) for the first time. Since then, whenever I need to install it, I just use the download service from Steam, so I don't have any screwing around with updates.

Upvote 0
You guys are missing my point. I am simply saying I would like to see the game have the ability to run independently of steam. That is all. What do I mean by that? With Red Orchestra Ost front you COULD NOT run the game at all unless steam was on and you are logged into your account. So simply put, have the ability to run without steam loaded, but not the necessity.

I don't see why it would be a big trouble for valve to allow people who bought the game on dvd to activate their CD-Key on their steam account and then gain access to the download as well. That way you have your physical copy and digital copy.

No big deal either way, just saying theres no reason why the game shouldn't be possible to load without steam on if they should choose that road.

I don't see the problem of running steam in the background? It isn't exactly heavy or something? Personally i love steam, no more cd's to change if you want to play a different game, automatic updates, easy to join friends, achievments, great deals, the list goes on and on.

Upvote 0
I've never seen a single Tripwire game in stores here in NL. :(

Dynabyte at one point offered roost, thats where i got a retail copy from. I've never seen killingfloor in stores though, which is weird since iceberg interactive is a dutch publisher.

And i've actually strolled quite a few shops where they even looked whether they could order the game manually somehow. But none of them could find it.

So i guess that iceber interactive only sells games online.

Upvote 0
Well, my boxed copy didn't get much anyway.

Just the disc and manual.

gutted you didn't get the postcard.

its got the box cover pic in landscape with the russian repositioned in the corner.

on the back it says-

Hello...................
Why not join me on-line for a game of
RED ORCHESTRA
OSTFRONT 41-45?

Let's meet on ................at .................
on the following server:.........................

See you there!

Best wishes from

right side is blank and theres a few logos and a small box cover pic as well.

I also have a sealed copy i presume that contains one too.

Upvote 0

You must not be a Steam user. If you were, you would know PC gaming sucked before Steam. Why? Remember losing your CD key, getting it scratched and searching and searching all over the internets for a patch? Then again, I guess you are into doing things the hard way. But whatever floats your boat.

top seller rip offs

Medal Of Honor :$10usd more
Sid meliers civilization V :$30usd more
Fallout: new Vegas :$40usd more
Battlefield bad company 2 :$40usd more

just a few locked out games i want

Singularity
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas
Bully

But you forget that Steam has to pay for the service they give to you for free. So of course they are going to charge a little extra for (1) the convenience it gives gamers and (2) the service they provide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You must not be a Steam user. If you were, you would know PC gaming sucked before Steam. Why? Remember losing your CD key, getting it scratched and searching and searching all over the internets for a patch? Then again, I guess you are into doing things the hard way. But whatever floats your boat.

I wouldn't exactly say that PC gaming as a whole sucked before Steam ... but all the examples you gave are definitely valid.

WTF, two posts this week from you that I agree with?

Upvote 0
Although steam have distribution costs i'd be interested to what thier overheads are and know how much a game effectivly costs them compared to a retail outlet receiving physical copies.
I'm willing to bet they do very well indeed.

i wouldn't say steam improved pc gaming at all (though my view may be somewhat distorted by the fact that pc games were better before it) but i recognise the convienience - despite never managing to lose a cd key.

There is an exception however - i object to the fact i cannot play, for example, RO while my son plays team fortress. I have to buy a 2nd copy.
I'm sure there some eula bollocks that states i accept this - but it's pretty unfair.
I know the games industry doesn't recognise first sales docrine, but at the very least steam should facilitate the use of 2 separately purchased products simultaneously by allowing the use of a ghost account say.

I would always buy the non steam retail copy of a game - borderlands, arma2 etc - but it's nice that ppl can play together on both.
Regarding games that only run on steam - i still buy the retail copy then activate it.

Having a game on steam is like buying a car, but having someone deliver it to you when you need it, and collecting it when you're done.
If i buy a retail copy of a steam game, i still have to call someone to deliver the keys to me, but at least i can look at it parked in my driveway.

Upvote 0
I don't care what you all say -- Steam has cheaper prices on most of its game than any of its competitors, taking everything into account. Games sold on XBox live STAY at their full retail price. Steam has ridiculous deals all the time, and the majority of those profits go to the independent developer anyway.

Many of the games quoted above, like Medal of Honor, are going to be 60 bucks anywhere, to compete with MW2's price point. That's not Steam specific.

Upvote 0
Bah you guys still miss my point. One person said something that was satisfactory to my point so I thank you. He said that "You can run the game offline without steam, but if you want to play online you need steam". That is close enough.

I am actually a Steam user and I have no real big problem with, aside from their VAC ban policies(hyjacked account = banned = no sympathy). As a matter of fact I just hit Valve up on their brilliant offer on Left4Dead. 10$ for both titles 1 and 2. Can't beat that.

My argument was simply: The game should be able to be run outside of steam if the user should so choose. That was my only statement, I hate the route games are going these days with being bound to accounts. I just don't like that idea.

My idea was, ok, steam fine. You can use your CD-Key to bind your copy of RO2 to your steam account 1time like any other steam game. But aside from being able to run the game via steam, you should also be able to run the game independently aswell.

Anyways, as long as you can run the game offline without steam being an issue I am happy. I am not the most financially secure person in the world, and when money gets tight, the internet/cable is the first thing to get cut. Will be nice to be able to play offline with bots during those downtimes.

Reactions: kol and Hausfeld
Upvote 0
Bah you guys still miss my point. One person said something that was satisfactory to my point so I thank you. He said that "You can run the game offline without steam, but if you want to play online you need steam". That is close enough.

I am actually a Steam user and I have no real big problem with, aside from their VAC ban policies(hyjacked account = banned = no sympathy). As a matter of fact I just hit Valve up on their brilliant offer on Left4Dead. 10$ for both titles 1 and 2. Can't beat that.

My argument was simply: The game should be able to be run outside of steam if the user should so choose. That was my only statement, I hate the route games are going these days with being bound to accounts. I just don't like that idea.

My idea was, ok, steam fine. You can use your CD-Key to bind your copy of RO2 to your steam account 1time like any other steam game. But aside from being able to run the game via steam, you should also be able to run the game independently aswell.

Anyways, as long as you can run the game offline without steam being an issue I am happy. I am not the most financially secure person in the world, and when money gets tight, the internet/cable is the first thing to get cut. Will be nice to be able to play offline with bots during those downtimes.
I understand your points -- I was really addressing someone else's post.

You must also keep in mind the issue of piracy -- right now it is very difficult to pirate games that are sold over Steam because you have to log in to play them online or offline.

And we've already established that you CAN play Steam games offline -- you just have to have Steam in order to do it.

Upvote 0
Is that even possible? I mean, does Steam even cater for that setup?
I don't know of any titles that support that (yet) - It's either a steam game, or it isnt.

Yes actually it is possible for RO:OST. Technically it isn't a steam game. True steam games are games developed by Valve themselves. RedOrchestra is a 3rd party game distributed via steam. Yes in order to connect to a multiplayer server you have to run the game via steam, however if you want to run outside of steam just navigate to your RedOrchestra/system directory and double click RedOrchestra.exe.

Anyways..this will be my last comment on the steam issue. I think I have made my case clear enough. I am not saying the game shouldn't function with Steam, just saying it should be capable of functioning EITHER way, with or without on user choice.

Upvote 0
Just out of interest, what's the point of that...exactly?

Bah forget it guys. Lets just drop the thread. I found out the info I needed to know, the debate weather steam is great or not can go on forever so lets let it die while we have the chance.

The only thing I want to be sure of is, in the case that I don't have an internet connection, I would like to be able to run RO2 without any problems requiring steam to be running. This is in case I forgot to have my RO2 owning account as the last logged in steam account before I lose my internet connection. In that case I would not be able to play offline on RO2 until I can connect to the internet again to login to the Steam on the correct account.

Upvote 0
Just out of interest, what's the point of that...exactly? You haven't really explained in this thread why you would want the functionality of running the game outside of steam.

He is probably one of those anti-establishment types that listens to Black Flag. He probably views Steam no differently from the CIA, FBI and Masonic Lodge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shepherd
Upvote 0