• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Still keeping the faith

Undedd Jester

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Sheffield, England
Old J* felt a little Philosohical today, which is rare that I look upon the gaming scene with any sort of a positive outlook. SO since this is a rare occurance I decided to post a little set of thoghts I had about good old Killing Floor. The other day I happenend to play Dead Rising 2 on my lunch break, and while the game is in no way a bad game... it is very clumsy in places and doesn't give any real satisfaction to killing a zombie/specimen.

Well folks its officially 1 year, 141 days, 1 hour 20 minutes since the retail version of KF was first launched, and I have to say before, during and since its release main stream gaming has changed a heck of alot. First the DS was riding high and thrashing even the main consoles into the ground. Then the Wii took the reigns and gaming started to shift towards a more casual family gamers demographic. Bad news for all of us.
Then the likes of GTA, COD and such started to push the less skill based and more noob friendly games into the forefront of the gaming market.

Hardcore classic gamers who relish a good challenge are sadly a dying breed. Games like Counter Strike and Half Life are no longer the model for games, and instead we get an easy mode watered down version of corperate tosh.

But of course there are thankfully some developers that still know how to make a great game. They are few and far between, and insanely hard to find, but they are there. TWI gave us Killing Floor, something that will always keep them in my highest regard. Quite simply it is the most fun, satifying, challenging, memorable game I have played in recent memory, and is only contested in my mind by Metal Gear Solid... no small feet for

Last edited:
Woah....
Dead Rising 2 is very satisfying depending on what weapons you use. Great game. Pretty challenging too.

I'v nearly given up on KF in all honesty, leaving it in an outrageously unbalanced state for so long has killed the game.

If the next update doesn't deliver with satisfactory balance changes then I doubt I'll play it anymore. I don't even care for new content anymore, I just want the old Killing Floor experience back.

Upvote 0
KF is dying.
Clear! -BZZT- We've got a pulse.

KF wont ever truly die, Because the moment it "Dies" TW will most likely turn the game over for 80% Community Mod creations. Since Anemia (Keep kicking ***) have created a balance 'Patch' That will allow the host of such Mutator set settings to what he/she defines as "Balanced" And with WTFMut (Thank you Bees and Peas) We have a "Mutated" version of Killing Floor. Thanks to users like YoYo and friends, we have a steady stream of KF weapons. so Killing Floor will never die, It'll simply Mutate into something far better.

So lets give a shout out not just to Tripwire Interactive. But to the community itself as it breathes life into the game.

Upvote 0
I don't get how GTA helped push "noob friendly" games onto the market.

Sorry I should have been more specific, GTA4 which I think we can all agree is a big steaming pile of arse and chips, expecially its auto aim crap. IMO if you can't aim a crosshair, you can't play :)

Nah the maind problem I had with Dead Rising was not the weapons perce, it was was more the freaking time limits for saving all the survivors. I know the game is supposed to be replayed again and again to tackle it with higher levels to make it easier, but some people like myself don't have time to replay a game 3 or 4 times.

The sloppy melee attacks, the irritating grab reg that seemed to let you go by easily when your just toddling along, but the second you need to be anywhere zombies can grab you from a mile off, coupled with the really stingy time limits on the quests jsut combined to get on my tits... not to mention the lack of weapon combos there were. Its like each weapon only has 1 or 2 things it can be combined with.

As I say for me, its gonna take something pretty damned special for KF to be knocked off top spot... and I don't think Metal Gear Rising is gonna do it as impressive as it looks.

Upvote 0
As much as I love KF to death, I have to say it is getting pretty damn stale. Sure, that's to be expected with nearly 500 hours put into the game, but the balance issues have killed it for me. I play exclusively on Suicidal, and the only (I mean only) time my friends and I wipe is if one of us screws up horrendously or if some random level 0 joins during trader time. Yes, we have all been playing for a while, but there should still be some level of challenge inherent in the game, even for "veteran" players.

Tripwire is my favorite development company by far, but it was really a bad move on their part to release an insanely unbalanced weapon and leave the game in a broken state for so long. It almost makes me wonder if they playtested the EBR and other mechanics (pipe spam) at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing i find unbalance is M14 EBR. Pipe bomb is pretty much balance because they can be destroy by siren's screaming attack but at the same time it could still be deadly if the placement of the bomb is correct. M14 on the other hand does not have any weakness except that you need to pick sharpshooter perk for the magic to work.

Upvote 0
I LoLed at that, have a rep point :)

... but that aside, I'm still keeping the faith

... even though I find it quite curious that its taken this long to sort the games balance changes. Its been 4 months since Yosh posted that thread about the balance changes.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43348

I mean I'm no coder... or modeller.. or anything really, but I'm sure it couldn't have taken THAT long to implement the changes, small Developement team or not thats one seriously cramped backburner :)

But hey ho, KF is still cool :)

Upvote 0