• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Simple suggestion, difficult implementation.

It would require a universal wind simulation, which Ost does not have.

Pretty simple math if they wanted to implement it. The trouble though is how do you tell the player which direction the wind is blowing, and how hard.

Come to think about it, how did they determine this in tanks? Was there a wind-speed indicator and weather vane system available for the gunner? Or did the commander / gunner just stick their wet finger out of the turret hatch?

Upvote 0
It would be nice to have smoke drift from burning buildings in the game.

Also, when calling in smoke fire from artillery, knowing winding direction was all important for intended effectiveness (as well as for obscuration from smoke pots).

Of course wind direction would visibly affect smoke grenades, smoke & flare signals, parachute flares.....

Upvote 0
What I personally want to see is the wind affecting ballistics differently based on terrain. For example, wind would effect your shots much less at street level in an urban environment because buildings would obstruct the natural windflow. However, at higher elevations (ie roofs), wind has an unobstructed flow, and will therefore be a lot stronger, forcing snipers to adjust their shots for wind more than guys on the ground.

as far as being able to tell the direction and speed of wind, i guess blowing dust/debris/ sheets of paper (ala COD;)) could help to indicate windage to the player

Upvote 0
Doesn't wind effect the bullets in RO Ost?

Forgot the name of the map, but the one in the winter with the frozen river with a large bridge has wind effects I think.

I remember me and someone else playing as a sniper, and both of our shots would go to the right, and we had to adjust for that.

If that is correct, I am sure HoS would have it in.

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't think that would go over very big. I don't think many people realize just how much affect wind can have on medium to long range shots (+75yds). Depending upon the direction (and of course speed), horizontal and vertical trajectory is affected. Can you imagine the complaining? (Not to mention the accusations directed at someone who masters the algorithm TW uses).

I would surmize that 98% of the people here think that the weapon accuracy in RO is pretty much spot on. (Yeah, maybe with the weapon in a vice on a bench.) In my wildest dreams I could never shoot with the consistent accuracy irl as I do with a mosin or Kar in the game. In reality, all weapons fire with a least some (don't hate me) "cone" of fire. And in particular with the mass produced factory loads of the WWII era, i would surmize that almost no weapon of the day would shoot sub-minute groups at ranges over 100 yards from a bench. (So in reality, its shot pattern would be the dreaded "cone"). And thats not taking battlefield conditions into account.

No. For the sanity of all, imo, wind factors would not be introduced.

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't think that would go over very big. I don't think many people realize just how much affect wind can have on medium to long range shots (+75yds). Depending upon the direction (and of course speed), horizontal and vertical trajectory is affected. Can you imagine the complaining? (Not to mention the accusations directed at someone who masters the algorithm TW uses).

I would surmize that 98% of the people here think that the weapon accuracy in RO is pretty much spot on. (Yeah, maybe with the weapon in a vice on a bench.) In my wildest dreams I could never shoot with the consistent accuracy irl as I do with a mosin or Kar in the game. In reality, all weapons fire with a least some (don't hate me) "cone" of fire. And in particular with the mass produced factory loads of the WWII era, i would surmize that almost no weapon of the day would shoot sub-minute groups at ranges over 100 yards from a bench. (So in reality, its shot pattern would be the dreaded "cone"). And thats not taking battlefield conditions into account.

No. For the sanity of all, imo, wind factors would not be introduced.

My 1944 Tula 91/30 PU quite consistently shoots .5 to .75 inch groups at 100 yards off a bench. No modifications.

Upvote 0
With WWII era ammo? and iron sights? I want your eyes! :cool:
The questions begged to be asked: How many rounds per group and how many seconds between shots? Cold/hot barrel? What does it do at 150?

My point was not so much that the guns aren't accurate, the Mosin is/was a very capable weapon. Its more about the consistent precision represented in game versus real life capabilities.

**whoops*** Just saw the PU. Perhaps I should have specified iron sights. Even still, that is some pretty good shooting there Peter.Steele!

Last edited:
Upvote 0